Old 11-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Gilboa Davara

Default Semi-OT: makedepend isn't aware of /usr/lib/gcc/$ARCH-redhat-linux/4.3.0/include/

On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 15:27 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 15:58:38 +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:
>
> > $ makedepend -f- test.c
> > # DO NOT DELETE
> > makedepend: warning: test.c (reading /usr/include/stdlib.h, line 33): cannot find include file "stddef.h"
> > not in /usr/include/stddef.h
>
> Why not run gccmakedep instead?

Interesting concept... Slipped my mid.
Thanks!

- Gilboa

Old 11-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Gilboa Davara

On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 15:27 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 15:58:38 +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:
>
> > $ makedepend -f- test.c
> > # DO NOT DELETE
> > makedepend: warning: test.c (reading /usr/include/stdlib.h, line 33): cannot find include file "stddef.h"
> > not in /usr/include/stddef.h
>
> Why not run gccmakedep instead?

Now I remember.
I couldn't find a Win32 port of gccmakedep - only makedepend.
Though, come to think about it - I could use gccmakedep under Linux and
makedepend under Windows, as both behave the same.

- Gilboa

Old 11-03-2008, 02:07 PM
"Dan Nicholson"

2008/11/3 Adam Jackson <ajax@redhat.com>:
> On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 15:58 +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, so I'm posting here before I open
>> up a BZ.
>
> makedepend is part of the imake package in Fedora. imake is - shall we
> say - under a policy of malign neglect by upstream. Rightly so, in my
> opinion, but makedepend is legitimately useful on its own.
>
> I think the only semi-serious problem with teaching makedepend more
> about gcc is what to do in the face of multiple gcc versions. We could
> certainly make makedepend search %{_libdir}/gcc/`gcc -dumpmachine`/`gcc
> -dumpversion`/include but that only works if you're building with gcc
> and not say compat-gcc34. Maybe inherit $CC from the environment and
> use that? Who knows.
>
> Ideally you'd just use gccmakedep instead, but it doesn't support the
> same set of options as makedepend so that may not be an option.
>
> I'd take a patch, but that's about the extent to which I care about
> being a build tools maintainer.

I have a patch somewhere that adds a --with-extra-include build option
for makedepend. It still means you have to rebuild makedepend whenever
gcc gets a major upgrade, but that was probably happening anyway. If
that sounds useful, I'll go locate it.

--
Dan

Old 11-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Jakub Jelinek

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 07:07:29AM -0800, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> 2008/11/3 Adam Jackson <ajax@redhat.com>:
> > On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 15:58 +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> >> I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, so I'm posting here before I open
> >> up a BZ.
> >
> > makedepend is part of the imake package in Fedora. imake is - shall we
> > say - under a policy of malign neglect by upstream. Rightly so, in my
> > opinion, but makedepend is legitimately useful on its own.
> >
> > I think the only semi-serious problem with teaching makedepend more
> > about gcc is what to do in the face of multiple gcc versions. We could
> > certainly make makedepend search %{_libdir}/gcc/`gcc -dumpmachine`/`gcc
> > -dumpversion`/include but that only works if you're building with gcc
> > and not say compat-gcc34. Maybe inherit $CC from the environment and
> > use that? Who knows.
> >
> > Ideally you'd just use gccmakedep instead, but it doesn't support the
> > same set of options as makedepend so that may not be an option.
> >
> > I'd take a patch, but that's about the extent to which I care about
> > being a build tools maintainer.
>
> I have a patch somewhere that adds a --with-extra-include build option
> for makedepend. It still means you have to rebuild makedepend whenever
> gcc gets a major upgrade, but that was probably happening anyway. If
> that sounds useful, I'll go locate it.

If that would be just a major upgrade, it wouldn't be so bad, but
the directory changes even with gcc patchlevel changes, which happen
usually at least once during each Fedora release.

Jakub

Old 11-03-2008, 03:31 PM
David Woodhouse

On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 15:27 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> Why not run gccmakedep instead?

Why do it in a separate pass at all? Why not just get gcc to do the
dependencies for you when you first build each object, using -MF -MD?

--
David Woodhouse Open Source Technology Centre
David.Woodhouse@intel.com Intel Corporation

Old 11-03-2008, 03:39 PM
"Dan Nicholson"

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 8:31 AM, David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 15:27 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>> Why not run gccmakedep instead?
>
> Why do it in a separate pass at all? Why not just get gcc to do the
> dependencies for you when you first build each object, using -MF -MD?

That's a very valid argument, but I think the reason is because
existing build systems expect to do it in a separate pass. I was
working on a patch for mesa to just use gcc directly for generating
the depends, but it was kind of difficult to shoehorn it in without
breaking the build for non-gcc.

--
Dan

Old 11-03-2008, 03:45 PM
"Dan Nicholson"

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 7:21 AM, Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 07:07:29AM -0800, Dan Nicholson wrote:
>> >
>> > makedepend is part of the imake package in Fedora. imake is - shall we
>> > say - under a policy of malign neglect by upstream. Rightly so, in my
>> > opinion, but makedepend is legitimately useful on its own.
>> >
>> > I think the only semi-serious problem with teaching makedepend more
>> > about gcc is what to do in the face of multiple gcc versions. We could
>> > certainly make makedepend search %{_libdir}/gcc/`gcc -dumpmachine`/`gcc
>> > -dumpversion`/include but that only works if you're building with gcc
>> > and not say compat-gcc34. Maybe inherit $CC from the environment and
>> > use that? Who knows.
>> >
>> > Ideally you'd just use gccmakedep instead, but it doesn't support the
>> > same set of options as makedepend so that may not be an option.
>> >
>> > I'd take a patch, but that's about the extent to which I care about
>> > being a build tools maintainer.
>>
>> I have a patch somewhere that adds a --with-extra-include build option
>> for makedepend. It still means you have to rebuild makedepend whenever
>> gcc gets a major upgrade, but that was probably happening anyway. If
>> that sounds useful, I'll go locate it.
>
> If that would be just a major upgrade, it wouldn't be so bad, but
> the directory changes even with gcc patchlevel changes, which happen
> usually at least once during each Fedora release.

Good point. Just for the record, this could be done today without
patching makedepend since there are already macros for handling extra
directories. This is what I was doing for my makedepend build before:

gccincdir=`${CC-gcc} -print-file-name=include`
echo "#define EXTRAINCDIR "$gccincdir"" >> makedepend-config.h.in

--
Dan

Old 11-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Gilboa Davara

On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 16:31 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 15:27 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > Why not run gccmakedep instead?
>
> Why do it in a separate pass at all? Why not just get gcc to do the
> dependencies for you when you first build each object, using -MF -MD?
>
> --

A. I rather not modify the existing build system.
B. I use makedepend & make duo on platforms that use proprietary
compilers. (E.g. cl.exe under Windows.)

- Gilboa