Old 11-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Michael Schwendt

Default Semi-OT: makedepend isn't aware of /usr/lib/gcc/$ARCH-redhat-linux/4.3.0/include/

On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 15:58:38 +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:

> $ makedepend -f- test.c
> # DO NOT DELETE
> makedepend: warning: test.c (reading /usr/include/stdlib.h, line 33): cannot find include file "stddef.h"
> not in /usr/include/stddef.h

Why not run gccmakedep instead?

Old 11-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Adam Jackson

On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 15:58 +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, so I'm posting here before I open
> up a BZ.

makedepend is part of the imake package in Fedora. imake is - shall we
say - under a policy of malign neglect by upstream. Rightly so, in my
opinion, but makedepend is legitimately useful on its own.

I think the only semi-serious problem with teaching makedepend more
about gcc is what to do in the face of multiple gcc versions. We could
certainly make makedepend search %{_libdir}/gcc/`gcc -dumpmachine`/`gcc
-dumpversion`/include but that only works if you're building with gcc
and not say compat-gcc34. Maybe inherit $CC from the environment and
use that? Who knows.

Ideally you'd just use gccmakedep instead, but it doesn't support the
same set of options as makedepend so that may not be an option.

I'd take a patch, but that's about the extent to which I care about
being a build tools maintainer.

- ajax