FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Bill Nottingham
 
Default FESCo Meeting Summary for 2008-10-29

Christopher Stone (chris.stone@gmail.com) said:
> All packages should go in comps. I don't know why notting is against
> this?!!? Why should my php-pear-* packages be excluded from comps for
> example? Just because some newb might not want to install them does
> not mean a php web developer would not use comps to install them.

It's the wrong idiom that does not scale to the size of our current
repository. If you want "Python library for doing 'foo'", any useful
package search is a far better mechanism than scrolling through a graphical
list of 650+ checkboxes.

Bill

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 11-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Seth Vidal
 
Default FESCo Meeting Summary for 2008-10-29

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, Bill Nottingham wrote:


Christopher Stone (chris.stone@gmail.com) said:

All packages should go in comps. I don't know why notting is against
this?!!? Why should my php-pear-* packages be excluded from comps for
example? Just because some newb might not want to install them does
not mean a php web developer would not use comps to install them.


It's the wrong idiom that does not scale to the size of our current
repository. If you want "Python library for doing 'foo'", any useful
package search is a far better mechanism than scrolling through a graphical
list of 650+ checkboxes.



To be fair - I'm not sure that's entirely true.

Keywords as a concept are harder than you might think for a lot of people.
Especially if they have to come up with them on their own. You ever met
someone for whom google was not useful? Those are often people who have
trouble figuring out what are good keywords on their own. However, if they
are presented with a list of common keywords they can pick out the ones
they care about. I know it's odd but I've seen it occur very commonly.


Your point about browing a bunch of checkboxes is correct, though. Which
is why I was thinking browsing trees of tags.


Maybe that doesn't work, either, though.

-sv



--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 11-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Nicolas Mailhot
 
Default FESCo Meeting Summary for 2008-10-29

Also please remember current comps format has lots of good properties:

1. it can be version controled
2. it can be diffed
3. it can be grepped
4. it can be edited with minimal tooling
5. it can be syntax-checked with minimal tooling
6. none of those tools are platform-specific
7. it scales better than the alternatives presented so far

So it's not totally bad.

--
Nicolas Mailhot
--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 11-03-2008, 05:26 PM
Bill Nottingham
 
Default FESCo Meeting Summary for 2008-10-29

Seth Vidal (skvidal@fedoraproject.org) said:
> Keywords as a concept are harder than you might think for a lot of
> people. Especially if they have to come up with them on their own. You
> ever met someone for whom google was not useful? Those are often people
> who have trouble figuring out what are good keywords on their own.
> However, if they are presented with a list of common keywords they can
> pick out the ones they care about. I know it's odd but I've seen it occur
> very commonly.

Yes, but which audience are we talking about? The one that wants to find
a billiards game, or the one that wants to find PHP bindings for FTP
support? It's possible that these two audiences have a similar searching/
keywording skill level, but I'm not sure it's likely.

(Which goes back, again, to who and what are we creating this data for.)

Bill

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 11-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Seth Vidal
 
Default FESCo Meeting Summary for 2008-10-29

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, Bill Nottingham wrote:


Seth Vidal (skvidal@fedoraproject.org) said:

Keywords as a concept are harder than you might think for a lot of
people. Especially if they have to come up with them on their own. You
ever met someone for whom google was not useful? Those are often people
who have trouble figuring out what are good keywords on their own.
However, if they are presented with a list of common keywords they can
pick out the ones they care about. I know it's odd but I've seen it occur
very commonly.


Yes, but which audience are we talking about? The one that wants to find
a billiards game, or the one that wants to find PHP bindings for FTP
support? It's possible that these two audiences have a similar searching/
keywording skill level, but I'm not sure it's likely.

(Which goes back, again, to who and what are we creating this data for.)



Which is why the interface isn't all-or-nothing.

If you know the search terms you want to find then type in:

php ftp

then you get back more or less what 'yum search php ftp' gives you:

============================== Matched: ftp, php ========================
php-pear-Net-FTP.noarch : Provides an OO interface to the PHP FTP
: functions plus some additions
....


But in both cases additional tags will help you find that information and,
of course, to find where the intersections are.


-sv


--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:14 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org