Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/)
-   -   Strange ext3 problem (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/185766-strange-ext3-problem.html)

"Joshua C." 10-31-2008 09:25 PM

Strange ext3 problem
 
I put this for discussion here
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=202573 and got no
helpful comments, so i put it here on the devel list.

Short description:

When copying and moving files bigger than ~ 100 mb I get different
sha1 sums between the copy and the original file. Once I issued the
sha1 sommand 2 consequitive times on one and the same file and got 2
(!!!) different results. This is impossible!

I tested the hdd with smartmontools (short and long tests) and got no
errors of any kind. then used fsck and e2fsck on the partition and
they corrected something. I thought the problem was gone but here it
happens again.

Maybe I should file a bug report. but against what? ext3? Any ideas
what this can be?

--joshua

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list

Benny Amorsen 10-31-2008 10:23 PM

Strange ext3 problem
 
"Joshua C." <joshuacov@googlemail.com> writes:

> I tested the hdd with smartmontools (short and long tests) and got no
> errors of any kind. then used fsck and e2fsck on the partition and
> they corrected something. I thought the problem was gone but here it
> happens again.

Memory error. Or CPU. Try booting into memtest86; I believe the Fedora
iso's offer that. memtest86 isn't perfect though, your PC could still
have a problem even if memtest86 says OK (after a few days of testing).


/Benny

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list

"Joshua C." 11-01-2008 07:58 AM

Strange ext3 problem
 
2008/11/1 Benny Amorsen <benny+usenet@amorsen.dk>:
> "Joshua C." <joshuacov@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> I tested the hdd with smartmontools (short and long tests) and got no
>> errors of any kind. then used fsck and e2fsck on the partition and
>> they corrected something. I thought the problem was gone but here it
>> happens again.
>
> Memory error. Or CPU. Try booting into memtest86; I believe the Fedora
> iso's offer that. memtest86 isn't perfect though, your PC could still
> have a problem even if memtest86 says OK (after a few days of testing).
>
>
> /Benny
I tried memtest86+ 2.01 (for about 3 hours) and it didn't display any
errors. I use f9 x86 but I have 4GB of memory. fedora sees only 2,25gb
but I thought it should be about 3gb. where are the rest 0,75gb? Could
this be connected with this?

Actually winxp sp3 sees also 2,25 gb but I see 4096mb in the bios
settings. maybe bios/dsdt table problem or sothing else?

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list

"Joshua C." 11-01-2008 09:29 AM

Strange ext3 problem
 
2008/11/1 Joshua C. <joshuacov@googlemail.com>:
> I tried memtest86+ 2.01 (for about 3 hours) and it didn't display any
> errors. I use f9 x86 but I have 4GB of memory. fedora sees only 2,25gb
> but I thought it should be about 3gb. where are the rest 0,75gb? Could
> this be connected with this?
>
> Actually winxp sp3 sees also 2,25 gb but I see 4096mb in the bios
> settings. maybe bios/dsdt table problem or sothing else?
>

I retested the modules with memtest86+ 2.01. memtest86 3.4a gave me an
error "unexpected interrupt". one of modules gave me about 2000 errors
(at a small range but consistent through the tests) and the other one
was ok. So it is a memory problem. they are on the way back to gskill.

by the way, why cann't fedora see the 3gb of memory and shows only about 2,25gb?

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list

Benny Amorsen 11-01-2008 11:21 AM

Strange ext3 problem
 
"Joshua C." <joshuacov@googlemail.com> writes:

> by the way, why cann't fedora see the 3gb of memory and shows only about 2,25gb?

You most likely downloaded the wrong iso. Your computer is x86_64, not i686.


/Benny

(Who believes that the 32-bit kernel should refuse to boot on 64-bit
machines. Welcome to the 90's.)

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list

Till Maas 11-01-2008 11:29 AM

Strange ext3 problem
 
On Sat November 1 2008, Benny Amorsen wrote:
> "Joshua C." <joshuacov@googlemail.com> writes:
> > by the way, why cann't fedora see the 3gb of memory and shows only about
> > 2,25gb?
>
> You most likely downloaded the wrong iso. Your computer is x86_64, not
> i686.

> (Who believes that the 32-bit kernel should refuse to boot on 64-bit
> machines. Welcome to the 90's.)

The last time I tested my setup, free showed more memory from my 4GB with
32-bit PAE than with x86_64.
Currently it's 4022 MB with 32-bit PAE, and afiak some of the memory is used
for my on board graphic device.

Regards,
Till
--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list

"Joshua C." 11-01-2008 12:46 PM

Strange ext3 problem
 
2008/11/1 Benny Amorsen <benny+usenet@amorsen.dk>:
> "Joshua C." <joshuacov@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> by the way, why cann't fedora see the 3gb of memory and shows only about 2,25gb?
>
> You most likely downloaded the wrong iso. Your computer is x86_64, not i686.
>
>
> /Benny
>
> (Who believes that the 32-bit kernel should refuse to boot on 64-bit
> machines. Welcome to the 90's.)

No, I have i686 and I know that it cannot detect the whole 4GB of
memory. and i know that 128mb are used for the video anyway. so i got
about 3968mb free to the OS.

What I expect is that the i686 detects about 3GB of free memory (not
the whole 4GB). according to different forums linux (and windows x86)
x86 should be able to detect up to 3,2GB of free memory (the limit of
32bits). but my fedora 9 i686 sees only 2,25gb (which is away from the
3GB). Windowsxp sees exactly the same amount of memory.
So either i got a crapy mashine or the forums are wrong.

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list

Benny Amorsen 11-01-2008 02:23 PM

Strange ext3 problem
 
Till Maas <opensource@till.name> writes:

> The last time I tested my setup, free showed more memory from my 4GB with
> 32-bit PAE than with x86_64.

About time we got that kind of issue debugged then.

> Currently it's 4022 MB with 32-bit PAE, and afiak some of the memory is used
> for my on board graphic device.

So? You can get 32GB with 32-bit PAE. That doesn't mean it's a good
idea.


/Benny

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list

Conrad Meyer 11-01-2008 08:09 PM

Strange ext3 problem
 
On Saturday 01 November 2008 08:23:38 am Benny Amorsen wrote:
> Till Maas <opensource@till.name> writes:
> > The last time I tested my setup, free showed more memory from my 4GB with
> > 32-bit PAE than with x86_64.
>
> About time we got that kind of issue debugged then.

I think the point he was getting at is that 64-bit uses more memory than
32-bit.

--
Conrad Meyer <konrad@tylerc.org>


--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list

James Antill 11-04-2008 04:29 AM

Strange ext3 problem
 
On Sat, 2008-11-01 at 14:46 +0100, Joshua C. wrote:

> What I expect is that the i686 detects about 3GB of free memory (not
> the whole 4GB). according to different forums linux (and windows x86)
> x86 should be able to detect up to 3,2GB of free memory (the limit of
> 32bits). but my fedora 9 i686 sees only 2,25gb (which is away from the
> 3GB). Windowsxp sees exactly the same amount of memory.
> So either i got a crapy mashine or the forums are wrong.

Check your motherboard firmware revision, I've seen bugs where certain
firemware will limit what the software can see.

--
James Antill <james@fedoraproject.org>
Fedora

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:33 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.