Old 11-27-2008, 06:25 PM
Till Maas

Default Strange ext3 problem

On Sat November 1 2008, Conrad Meyer wrote:
> On Saturday 01 November 2008 08:23:38 am Benny Amorsen wrote:
> > Till Maas <opensource@till.name> writes:
> > > The last time I tested my setup, free showed more memory from my 4GB
> > > with 32-bit PAE than with x86_64.
> >
> > About time we got that kind of issue debugged then.
>
> I think the point he was getting at is that 64-bit uses more memory than
> 32-bit.

I only described my observations. But still on Fedora 8 i686 PAE more memory
is recognized than on Fedora 10 GA:

i686 PAE | x86_64
4022 MB | 3933 MB

But I agree that is has improved since 2008-10-08, where I only got 3715 MB
with x86_64 from Fedora 9.

Btw. also x86_64 seems to be slower than i686, e.g. aes-128-cbc encryption is
for block sizes greater than 16 around 20 % faster with i686 than with
x86_64. This is also true for a i686 kvm machine on a x86_64 host.

Regards,
Till