Old 10-30-2008, 02:55 PM
Matthew Woehlke

Default Fedora on EEE?

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:

On Wednesday, 29 October 2008 at 22:44, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
- Xandros (on my Asus EEE, and only because I haven't had time to find
something better; how's Fedora on those?)

Fedora works great on those. I'm happily running F10 since snap2.
All I needed was an akmod from rpmfusion (rt2860sta driver) and
a pm quirk to re-enable screen after resume.

Cool. Got any "how to" pages handy?

Anyway, a couple question about Fedora on EEE...

- Does Fedora know about multi-touch? (The default Xandros uses
multi-touch for scrolling, not very reliable but still nice to have.)

- What FS is best? (Given that you're dealing with a SSD.) Also, does
the lack of swap cause any "interesting" problems? Any other caveats
related to the SSD?

- Does compiz run? ;-)

--
Matthew
This was, apparently, beyond her ken. So far beyond her ken that she

Old 10-30-2008, 03:06 PM
Nicu Buculei

Matthew Woehlke wrote:

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:

- Xandros (on my Asus EEE, and only because I haven't had time to
find something better; how's Fedora on those?)

Fedora works great on those. I'm happily running F10 since snap2.
All I needed was an akmod from rpmfusion (rt2860sta driver) and
a pm quirk to re-enable screen after resume.

Well, it chokes on my WPA.

Cool. Got any "how to" pages handy?

Anyway, a couple question about Fedora on EEE...

- Does Fedora know about multi-touch? (The default Xandros uses
multi-touch for scrolling, not very reliable but still nice to have.)

Not sure, how can I try?

- What FS is best? (Given that you're dealing with a SSD.) Also, does
the lack of swap cause any "interesting" problems? Any other caveats
related to the SSD?

Sorry, I have a HDD version.

- Does compiz run? ;-)

Yes, out of the box.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:27 PM
"Peter Robinson"

- Xandros (on my Asus EEE, and only because I haven't had time to find something better; how's Fedora on those?)

Fedora works great on those. I'm happily running F10 since snap2.

All I needed was an akmod from rpmfusion (rt2860sta driver) and

a pm quirk to re-enable screen after resume.

Well, it chokes on my WPA.
Are you using WPA2 (or WPA+WPA2) on your AP? I have the same issue with mine but it started working once I just set my AP to plain WPA. This driver is being re-written for upstream inclusion so I suspect the problem will go away once that is complete. It just seems to be taking ages.

Cool. Got any "how to" pages handy?

Anyway, a couple question about Fedora on EEE...

- Does Fedora know about multi-touch? (The default Xandros uses multi-touch for scrolling, not very reliable but still nice to have.)

Not sure, how can I try?

- What FS is best? (Given that you're dealing with a SSD.) Also, does the lack of swap cause any "interesting" problems? Any other caveats related to the SSD?

Sorry, I have a HDD version.
I asked this question about ext4 and what options to use. I suspect that we don't have a FS optimised for SSDs as yet. There's UBIFS but I'm not sure whether that's for SSDs or just pure Flash devices.

Peter

Old 10-30-2008, 03:33 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Matthew Woehlke wrote:

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:

- Xandros (on my Asus EEE, and only because I haven't had time to
find something better; how's Fedora on those?)

Fedora works great on those. I'm happily running F10 since snap2.
All I needed was an akmod from rpmfusion (rt2860sta driver) and
a pm quirk to re-enable screen after resume.

Cool. Got any "how to" pages handy?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EeePc
http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2008/02/14/fedora-eee-pc-eeedora/

Rahul

Old 10-30-2008, 04:01 PM
Dan Williams

On Thu, 2008-10-30 at 18:06 +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> > Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> >>
> >> Fedora works great on those. I'm happily running F10 since snap2.
> >> All I needed was an akmod from rpmfusion (rt2860sta driver) and
> >> a pm quirk to re-enable screen after resume.
>
> Well, it chokes on my WPA.

Because the driver is the vendor driver, has not been cleaned up for the
quality standards of the kernel, does not properly implement wireless
extensions, and will _never_ go upstream because it includes its own
802.11 stack.

Effort should be directed towards the rt2x00 project which is writing
the correct upstreamable mac80211-based driver for these cards.

Dan

Old 10-30-2008, 04:20 PM
Jeremy Katz

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> a pm quirk to re-enable screen after resume.

Did you file a bug about the quirk needed so that it can be added to
hal-info?

Jeremy

Old 10-30-2008, 04:26 PM
Stewart Adam

- Xandros (on my Asus EEE, and only because I haven't had time to
find something better; how's Fedora on those?)

Fedora works great on those. I'm happily running F10 since snap2.
All I needed was an akmod from rpmfusion (rt2860sta driver) and
a pm quirk to re-enable screen after resume.

Cool. Got any "how to" pages handy?

Anyway, a couple question about Fedora on EEE...

- Does Fedora know about multi-touch? (The default Xandros uses
multi-touch for scrolling, not very reliable but still nice to have.)
I'm not sure on this one - I read at some point that multitouch could be
emulated with synaptics, but I'm not sure how far that's gone. The
ClickFinger synaptics options may be of interest to you...

- What FS is best? (Given that you're dealing with a SSD.) Also, does
the lack of swap cause any "interesting" problems? Any other caveats
related to the SSD?
ext2 or another FS without a journal is probably the best at the moment to
avoid wearing down your SSD

- Does compiz run? ;-)

Yup, works perfectly out of the box too!

Stewart

Old 10-30-2008, 07:21 PM

On Thursday, 30 October 2008 at 18:20, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> > a pm quirk to re-enable screen after resume.
>
> Did you file a bug about the quirk needed so that it can be added to
> hal-info?

Yes.

Regards,
R.

"Faith manages."

Old 10-30-2008, 11:02 PM
"Pavel Shevchuk"

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 5:55 PM, Matthew Woehlke
<mw_triad@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> - Does Fedora know about multi-touch? (The default Xandros uses multi-touch
> for scrolling, not very reliable but still nice to have.)

Synaptics driver has multitouch for years. I used macbook-style two
finger scroll 3 years ago on my acer laptop. Check "man synaptics"

Pinch, swipe and other multifinger gestures are also supported by
driver but not yet implemented in applications, mostly because GTK/Qt
lacks proper abstraction for gestures. Highest level of abstraction
available so far is array of finger coordinates, not even their
movement vectors. It would be cool to have some API to track vectors
and common gestures to bind pinch to zoom and swipe to back/forward
etc.

--
http://scwlab.com

Old 10-31-2008, 06:23 AM
Nicu Buculei

Peter Robinson wrote:

Well, it chokes on my WPA.

Are you using WPA2 (or WPA+WPA2) on your AP? I have the same issue with
mine but it started working once I just set my AP to plain WPA. This
driver is being re-written for upstream inclusion so I suspect the
problem will go away once that is complete. It just seems to be taking ages.

Indeed, I use WPA PSK + WPA2 PSK and changing the mode is not an option
since I have some other equipments that work the best in this mode. I'll
stay wired for the time being.