Old 10-29-2008, 01:55 PM
Les Mikesell

Default WPA without NetworkManager

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:

NetworkManager is not an option and has no place on my machines.
Right-click -> "Edit connections", pick your preferred setting, click
on 'System setting'.
Right-click on what? I run fvwm. How are non-DE users supposed to
interact with NM?

He was asking how to make NM work after logging out, which does sort
of presume he's already using it. If you are seriously asking about how
to configure NM when you aren't actually using it, well...

(Note: Not valid for WPA, etc. That doesn't work outside of NM anyway...)

Yes, yes it does. And it should.

Not in the context of init.d/network, which is what I meant. (Well, not
outside of gross hacks.)

Yes, it works in that context. /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-wireless
needs a small patch which I posted in bugzilla and which has been ignored
for years. The patch isn't actually mine, it was posted on one of fedora lists.
I can't find that bugzilla report right now so I'm attaching the patch here
instead.

I thought I saw having network manager run before login and the ability
to boot from iscsi mentioned in the release notes for the beta RHEL 5.3
updates. Isn't fedora supposed to be ahead of RHEL in features?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 10-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Jesse Keating

> I thought I saw having network manager run before login

NetworkManager does run before login, quite early in fact, and you can
even configure it to wait for actual configuration of the IP address
before moving on in the boot process.

However, if you're trying to boot iscsi via a wpa secured connection,
perhaps you're doing it wrong?

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom˛ is a feature!

Old 10-29-2008, 02:40 PM

On Wednesday, 29 October 2008 at 16:22, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 09:55 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> > I thought I saw having network manager run before login
>
> NetworkManager does run before login, quite early in fact, and you can
> even configure it to wait for actual configuration of the IP address
> before moving on in the boot process.
>
> However, if you're trying to boot iscsi via a wpa secured connection,
> perhaps you're doing it wrong?

While that configuration seems uncommon, there's no reason it shouldn't
be possible to make it work. I was talking about plain WPA, however.

Regards,
R.

"Faith manages."

Old 10-29-2008, 06:13 PM
Benny Amorsen

Jesse Keating <jkeating@redhat.com> writes:

> However, if you're trying to boot iscsi via a wpa secured connection,
> perhaps you're doing it wrong?

iscsi on a 802.1x-secured port isn't quite so far-fetched.

/Benny