Old 10-29-2008, 01:36 AM
Chris Adams

Default Default network configuration during installation, NetworkManager and the /etc/sysconfig/network-script's

Once upon a time, David Cantrell <dcantrell@redhat.com> said:
> This is a good point. I really don't think it's unreasonable to require any
> of the following:
>
> 1) Users have to use NetworkManager to bring up a network interface.
> 2) Users have to run system-config-network to set up networking.
> 3) Users have to edit ifcfg-DEVICE files by hand.
>
> Over the past several years, we [anaconda team] has been trying to move as
> many system configuration screens out of anaconda as we can. Only what we
> need to ensure the system either (a) installs correctly or (b) reboots and
> is usable. We're down to:
>
> language
> keyboard
> root password
> timezone
> hostname
> boot loader (automatic unless you ask to configure it)

This means you can no longer start an install and SSH in once it is done
to perform the rest of configuration. I'll start an install on a
computer in another room, and when I can ping its static IP, I can SSH
in and work on it (I don't have to walk back and forth, checking on it
periodically or do any more configuration at the console). If that is
the desired case, then you might as well:

- disable sshd by default
- set "PermitRootLogin no" in /etc/ssh/sshd_config by default
- remove the SSH opening in the firewall

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>

Old 10-29-2008, 03:58 AM
"Rajeesh K Nambiar"

2008/10/29 David Cantrell <dcantrell@redhat.com>

> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 12:48:48PM -0400, Dan Williams wrote:

> > > And here we have another fun argument about how 'minimal' should the
> > > minimal install be! We've chucked yum in @core, might as well chuck
> > > NetworkManager too...
> >
> > Right, but we still don't turn NM on by default with chkconfig. Which
> > means even if you bring it into @core, your networking still won't work
> > unless you turn NM on post-install manually.
> >
> > The issue here (IIRC) was that Anaconda won't set up an ifcfg file for
> > you if you don't use network to install, because the network
> > configuration screen got removed as it was mostly redundant for installs
> > where NM is active.
> >
> > If you're not installing over the network (and thus there's no network
> > configuration to save out) should the "network config" screen come back?
> > Or should anaconda just activate all devices onboot with DHCP? The
> > latter sounds like a loss. If you want stuff set up post-boot without
> > NetworkManager, maybe it's not unreasonable that you have to configure
> > it yourself. What's the difference if that happens post-install or
> > during install?
>
> This is a good point. I really don't think it's unreasonable to require any
> of the following:
>
> 1) Users have to use NetworkManager to bring up a network interface.
> 2) Users have to run system-config-network to set up networking.
> 3) Users have to edit ifcfg-DEVICE files by hand.
>
> Over the past several years, we [anaconda team] has been trying to move as
> many system configuration screens out of anaconda as we can. Only what we
> need to ensure the system either (a) installs correctly or (b) reboots and
> is usable. We're down to:
>
> language
> keyboard
> root password
> timezone
> hostname
> boot loader (automatic unless you ask to configure it)
>
> There are some other ideas that we could come up with too. What if firstboot
> asked you how you want to configure your network interface? As in, exposing
> the s-c-network UI or something from NetworkManager? Just brainstorming.
> These really just make what's already there more accessible after an initial
> install.

I would say firstboot is the best place for network configuration,
ofcourse unless installed via network. I know a lot of people install
Fedora using CD/DVDs and with no initial network connection.

> --
> David Cantrell <dcantrell@redhat.com>
> Red Hat / Honolulu, HI

Cheers,
Rajeesh

Old 10-29-2008, 09:29 AM
Dan Williams

On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 17:51 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> David Cantrell wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 11:31:40AM +0000, Michael Cutler wrote:
> >> (1). Include NetworkManager in the '@core' group, such that every install will include NetworkManager and a minimal install as described above will bring the system up with network connectivity.
> >
> > I'm not opposed to this, but I'm also not opposed to it staying where it is.
> >
> >> (2). Add some logic to the installer, if NetworkManager isnt to be installed, adjust the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts appropriately such that network connectivity comes up after install. However this could be more problematic that I first thought, how many interfaces do you enable? If I have 4 NIC's, 3 not connected do I need to wait for the 'network' service to give up on the other three NIC's before bringing the system up etc.
> >
> > I'm not in favor of this. The situation you're describing is exactly why we
> > wanted to get rid of the network configuration screen.
> >

> Isn't the system already capable of knowing if link is up on an
> interface and not waiting for dhcp if it isn't connected?

No, it depends on the driver. There are some drivers that still do not
do link checking (some pcnet32, some ne2000 variants), or if they do,
only on a 30 second or 60 second poll (3c59x as of 2 years ago). Maybe
we don't care about those drivers.

Dan