FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-27-2008, 08:34 AM
Christoph Wickert
 
Default Need a build chain in koji, not a chainbuild

I'm working hard on the Xfce 4.4.3 update. Since it is only a bugfix
release we'd like it to appear in F10. My problem is that it has a long
dependency chain. I first have to build the basic libs and then I can
start with some apps, then the rest.

Now I'm stuck already at the second package because it needs the first
one. How long do I have to wait until the first package appears at
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/static-repos/dist-rawhide-current/
or at http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/development/ ?

Please don't tell me to use a chainbuild, because IMO for a long
dependency chain this is to risky. I have _no_ way to test if a package
builds, nether with mock, nor with a scratchbuild. If one package fails,
the complete chain is broken. This has become even worse with immutable
tags (although I understand the need for immutable tags).

What to do in situations like these? I'm not talking about this
particular situation but about problems like these in general.

Regards,
Christoph



--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 10-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Rex Dieter
 
Default Need a build chain in koji, not a chainbuild

Christoph Wickert wrote:


> Now I'm stuck already at the second package because it needs the first
> one. How long do I have to wait until the first package

~20-30 minutes. To be sure, you can examine the newRepo tasks in koji to be
sure.

-- Rex


--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 10-27-2008, 01:51 PM
Christoph Wickert
 
Default Need a build chain in koji, not a chainbuild

Am Montag, den 27.10.2008, 08:26 -0500 schrieb Rex Dieter:
> Christoph Wickert wrote:
>
>
> > Now I'm stuck already at the second package because it needs the first
> > one. How long do I have to wait until the first package
>
> ~20-30 minutes. To be sure, you can examine the newRepo tasks in koji to be
> sure.

Thanks for your reply. There infrastructure things are not well
documented and sometimes hard to understand for outsiders.

I have cut the chain into some groups and I hope that everything will
turn out right.

Regards,
Christoph

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 10-27-2008, 02:17 PM
"Jonathan Underwood"
 
Default Need a build chain in koji, not a chainbuild

2008/10/27 Christoph Wickert <christoph.wickert@googlemail.com>:
> Please don't tell me to use a chainbuild, because IMO for a long
> dependency chain this is to risky. I have _no_ way to test if a package
> builds, nether with mock, nor with a scratchbuild. If one package fails,
> the complete chain is broken.

Is it not the case that if one package build fails the whole chain
build is aborted? If not, it probably should be.

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 10-27-2008, 03:53 PM
Christoph Wickert
 
Default Need a build chain in koji, not a chainbuild

Am Montag, den 27.10.2008, 15:17 +0000 schrieb Jonathan Underwood:
> 2008/10/27 Christoph Wickert <christoph.wickert@googlemail.com>:
> > Please don't tell me to use a chainbuild, because IMO for a long
> > dependency chain this is to risky. I have _no_ way to test if a package
> > builds, nether with mock, nor with a scratchbuild. If one package fails,
> > the complete chain is broken.
>
> Is it not the case that if one package build fails the whole chain
> build is aborted?

Yes, that's what I meant with "the whole chain is broken".

Christoph

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 10-27-2008, 03:55 PM
Patrice Dumas
 
Default Need a build chain in koji, not a chainbuild

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 05:53:08PM +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Montag, den 27.10.2008, 15:17 +0000 schrieb Jonathan Underwood:
> > 2008/10/27 Christoph Wickert <christoph.wickert@googlemail.com>:
> > > Please don't tell me to use a chainbuild, because IMO for a long
> > > dependency chain this is to risky. I have _no_ way to test if a package
> > > builds, nether with mock, nor with a scratchbuild. If one package fails,
> > > the complete chain is broken.
> >
> > Is it not the case that if one package build fails the whole chain
> > build is aborted?
>
> Yes, that's what I meant with "the whole chain is broken".

If I recall well in that case the packagfes already built are put in the
repo. So the remaining of th echain is aborted but what is already built
is not removed.

--
Pat

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 10-27-2008, 04:07 PM
Jesse Keating
 
Default Need a build chain in koji, not a chainbuild

On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 17:55 +0100, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> If I recall well in that case the packagfes already built are put in the
> repo. So the remaining of th echain is aborted but what is already built
> is not removed.

That is my understanding as well, since once in the collection, and in
the buildroot, it may have been used for building something else, not
part of your chain, and thus removing it is the wrong solution.

Long term, I really think we need to do chains in their own custom build
collection so that they can be atomic and they can be aborted in whole.
Also it would allow us to use chains on targets that don't self update
such as updates candidates.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom˛ is a feature!
identi.ca: http://identi.ca/jkeating
--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 10-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Christoph Wickert
 
Default Need a build chain in koji, not a chainbuild

Am Montag, den 27.10.2008, 10:07 -0700 schrieb Jesse Keating:
> On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 17:55 +0100, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > If I recall well in that case the packagfes already built are put in the
> > repo. So the remaining of th echain is aborted but what is already built
> > is not removed.
>
> That is my understanding as well, since once in the collection, and in
> the buildroot, it may have been used for building something else, not
> part of your chain, and thus removing it is the wrong solution.

This is correct: Packages that are built are going to the repo, sooner
or later. But the current chain-build behavior is not very logical when
it comes to groups. One can separate different groups with colons, which
are built in parallel.

Example of building a package called baz.
* Normal (sequentially) chain-build:
make chain-build CHAIN='foo bar'
* Grouped chain-build
make chain-build CHAIN='foo bar : foobar'
In this example foo and bar are built in parallel, then foobar and baz
are build in parallel too, while one (at least me) would expect it to be
built after the previous packages in the chain. If baz fails because
foobar is not ready yet, foobar will be canceled. Pretty confusing.

So every time you start using groups, you have to use trailing colons
make chain-build CHAIN='foo bar : foobar :'

Thanks to the people who helped me on IRC to figure this out. I will try
to update the wiki to make this more clear later when I finished with
Xfce.

> Long term, I really think we need to do chains in their own custom build
> collection so that they can be atomic and they can be aborted in whole.
> Also it would allow us to use chains on targets that don't self update
> such as updates candidates.

+1

Christoph

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 10-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Patrice Dumas
 
Default Need a build chain in koji, not a chainbuild

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 07:02:04PM +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:
>
> Example of building a package called baz.
> * Normal (sequentially) chain-build:
> make chain-build CHAIN='foo bar'
> * Grouped chain-build
> make chain-build CHAIN='foo bar : foobar'
> In this example foo and bar are built in parallel, then foobar and baz
> are build in parallel too, while one (at least me) would expect it to be
> built after the previous packages in the chain. If baz fails because
> foobar is not ready yet, foobar will be canceled. Pretty confusing.
>
> So every time you start using groups, you have to use trailing colons
> make chain-build CHAIN='foo bar : foobar :'
>
> Thanks to the people who helped me on IRC to figure this out. I will try
> to update the wiki to make this more clear later when I finished with
> Xfce.

I porposed something for make help some time ago, please see if you can
enhance it, but it tried to explain things like you do (I aws very
confused by the previous documentation). I'll update
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/UsingKoji#Chained_builds
such that it matches make help output, but please propose any
enhancement.

--
Pat

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 10-28-2008, 03:52 AM
Kevin Kofler
 
Default Need a build chain in koji, not a chainbuild

Christoph Wickert <christoph.wickert <at> googlemail.com> writes:
> This has become even worse with immutable tags (although I understand the
> need for immutable tags).

Tags are not really immutable, "make tag TAG_OPTS=-F" has been reenabled.

Kevin Kofler

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:59 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org