Old 10-26-2008, 05:05 PM
"Camilo Mesias"

Default preupgrade F9 -> rawhide?

Is preupgrade from F9 to rawhide supposed to work at the moment, and
where can I report problems?

I've tried to run it and got a few depsolving problems for packages
from livna... but when it gets to the boot images stage there are
problems:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/preupgrade/preupgrade-gtk.py", line 198, in
on_assistant_apply
self._do_main()
File "/usr/share/preupgrade/preupgrade-gtk.py", line 206, in _do_main
self.main_preupgrade()
File "/usr/share/preupgrade/preupgrade-gtk.py", line 349, in main_preupgrade
self.pu.retrieve_treeinfo()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/preupgrade/__init__.py", line
395, in retrieve_treeinfo
self.instimage = cp.get('stage2', 'instimage')
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/ConfigParser.py", line 520, in get
raise NoOptionError(option, section)
ConfigParser.NoOptionError: No option 'instimage' in section: 'stage2'

Any ideas?

-Cam

Old 10-27-2008, 04:08 AM
Will Woods

On Sun, 2008-10-26 at 19:05 +0100, Camilo Mesias wrote:
> Is preupgrade from F9 to rawhide supposed to work at the moment, and
> where can I report problems?
>
> I've tried to run it and got a few depsolving problems for packages
> from livna... but when it gets to the boot images stage there are
> problems:

You're using an old version of preupgrade. Use 0.9.8 from
updates-testing.

-w

Old 10-27-2008, 05:48 AM
"Camilo Mesias"

OK...

yum update --enablerepo=updates-testing-newkey preupgrade

I'll give preupgrade-0.9.8-2.fc9.noarch.rpm a try...

-Cam

Old 11-07-2008, 04:40 PM
"Camilo Mesias"

A quick update on this. I successfully upgraded one machine about a
week ago, so I tried another machine today and it had a problem
booting during the install.

After all the packages had been downloaded and the 'reboot' button was
pressed, grub was no longer able to come up. The word 'GRUB' was
displayed and nothing else.

I booted with the F9 Live USB and did the following (sorry it doesn't
help with diagnosis but it might help if anyone else has this problem)

mkdir /tmp/rootdir
mount /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 /tmp/rootdir
mount /dev/sda1 /tmp/rootdir/boot
/tmp/rootdir/sbin/grub-install --root-directory=/tmp/rootdir /dev/sda

If there are any logs that might help diagnose the problem, let me
know. I have one more desktop and one more laptop running F9 which I
plan to preupgrade in the same way, Please let me know if there is
anything I should note to help improve the process.

-Cam

Old 11-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Will Woods

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 17:40 +0000, Camilo Mesias wrote:
> A quick update on this. I successfully upgraded one machine about a
> week ago, so I tried another machine today and it had a problem
> booting during the install.
>
> After all the packages had been downloaded and the 'reboot' button was
> pressed, grub was no longer able to come up. The word 'GRUB' was
> displayed and nothing else.
>
> I booted with the F9 Live USB and did the following (sorry it doesn't
> help with diagnosis but it might help if anyone else has this problem)
>
> mkdir /tmp/rootdir
> mount /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 /tmp/rootdir
> mount /dev/sda1 /tmp/rootdir/boot
> /tmp/rootdir/sbin/grub-install --root-directory=/tmp/rootdir /dev/sda
>
> If there are any logs that might help diagnose the problem, let me
> know. I have one more desktop and one more laptop running F9 which I
> plan to preupgrade in the same way, Please let me know if there is
> anything I should note to help improve the process.

This is a GRUB bug that we've been unable to reproduce reliably, and
therefore haven't traced fully. It's often triggered by using the grub
--once flag, which is used by both preupgrade and suspend-to-disk
(hibernate). We've seen it happen with both of those things, but the
preupgrade case seems to be more frequent because it tends to also
involve upgrading GRUB at the same time.

As far as we've been able to trace it, *something* causes GRUB stage2
(or stage 1.5) to move its physical on-disk location. But we don't know
what. Nothing that we're doing to GRUB *should* cause that. But
something does, and then stage1 can't find the rest of GRUB, and we get
stuck with "GRUB" on-screen and an unbootable system.

Anyway. I've spent *weeks* trying to track that one down, bugging pjones
(our GRUB maintainer) and esandeen (our mad ext3/ext4 hacker) endlessly,
and never made any real progress. Reinstalling GRUB, as you did, is the
proper fix when this happens. But we still don't know what causes it,
and therefore how to keep it from happening in the first place.

Any further help or theories on this would be greatly appreciated.

-w

Old 11-07-2008, 07:46 PM
"Camilo Mesias"

> Any further help or theories on this would be greatly appreciated.

Is there a canonical command that will tell me if grub is in a
consistent state or not?

I'm guessing it's worth running such a command (if it exists) at the
point when preupgrade says "Reboot", and then at several points during
the shutdown sequence to see what happens.

Stop me if this is obvious or has been tried already, but as I said I
have two more systems to upgrade so it's worth experimenting a bit.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Stephen Warren

On Fri, November 7, 2008 1:21 pm, Will Woods wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 17:40 +0000, Camilo Mesias wrote:
>> A quick update on this. I successfully upgraded one machine about a
>> week ago, so I tried another machine today and it had a problem
>> booting during the install.
> As far as we've been able to trace it, *something* causes GRUB stage2
> (or stage 1.5) to move its physical on-disk location. But we don't know
> what. Nothing that we're doing to GRUB *should* cause that. But
> something does, and then stage1 can't find the rest of GRUB, and we get
> stuck with "GRUB" on-screen and an unbootable system.
>
> Anyway. I've spent *weeks* trying to track that one down, bugging pjones
> (our GRUB maintainer) and esandeen (our mad ext3/ext4 hacker) endlessly,
> and never made any real progress. Reinstalling GRUB, as you did, is the
> proper fix when this happens. But we still don't know what causes it,
> and therefore how to keep it from happening in the first place.

Can preupgrade just re-install grub itself at some suitable point. It
seems that'd work around the issue...

Old 11-11-2008, 11:01 PM
"Camilo Mesias"

Hi

2008/11/7 Will Woods <wwoods@redhat.com>:
> This is a GRUB bug that we've been unable to reproduce reliably, and
> therefore haven't traced fully. It's often triggered by using the grub
> --once flag, which is used by both preupgrade and suspend-to-disk
> (hibernate). We've seen it happen with both of those things, but the
> preupgrade case seems to be more frequent because it tends to also
> involve upgrading GRUB at the same time.

I've just seen this problem happen after a yum upgrade. I installed
switchdesk-gui, yum updated and groupinstalled XFCE. on the next
reboot I had a broken grub. Here are log excerpts showing what got
updated/installed:

http://pastebin.com/m7863382d

Could this happen just by installing a new kernel?

-Cam