Old 10-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Thorsten Leemhuis

Default Second steps of the transition from Livna to RPM Fusion begins: Enabling RPM Fusion for users of livna-testing!

Hi!

Find below a cut'n'pasted and slightly enhanced version of a post from
my blog FYI:

As you'll likely have heard by now: RPM Fusion ( http://rpmfusion.org ),
the merger of Dribble, Freshrpms and Livna gets closer to its official
release/start. Most of the packages from Livna have been imported and
build for RPM Fusion already, hence we now begin to slowly enable RPM
Fusion for users of Livna by activating the RPM Fusion free and

nonfree repos for users of livna's F8 and F9 testing repos *now*.

The process works like this: I added the rpmfusion-release packages for
RPM Fusion's free and nonfree repos to the livna repo for F8 and F9;
afterwards I built new livna-release for F8 and F9 that is available in
livna-testing for F8 and F9 now; those two livna-release packages
track the two rpmfusion-release packages in with a hard dep. That way
all users that installed livna properly (e.g. by installing the
livna-release package) and enabled the testing repos will now get RPM
Fusion enabled automatically.

Note, nearly all of livna's packages have been imported and build for
RPM Fusion, but a few are still missing. So you should leave livna repos
enabled for now if you want everything. Once all the packages have a new
home we'll let the rpmfusion-nonfree-release package obsolete livna-release.

The plan is to move regular livna users of F8 and F9 over to RPM Fusion
with the same trick sooner or later. But some things in RPM Fusion still
need to get brought in shape before we start considering that. But if
you want you can already help by using and testing RPM Fusion for F8 and
F9 by running this command:

rpm -ivh
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm

It's even easier now if you already have livna enabled already:

yum install rpmfusion-free-release rpmfusion-nonfree-release

RPM Fusion's Bugtracker (please report all issues here and not on the
mailing lists!):
http://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/

Mailing lists for RPM Fusion users (includes users of the devel branch)

Please spread the news! tia!

CU
knurd

P.S.: Just a reminder while at it: Some of you might have noticed
already, the livna mailing lists (like freeworld{,-graphics}@livna.org)
are dead since a few weeks; the hard disk in Anvil's mailman host died
afaik (I don't know more details; sorry). But Livna will be superseded
by RPM Fusion soon anyway, so simply use the those lists from rpmfusion
from now on. They should serve well for the remaining time, as all the
livna contributors should be subscribed there as well. Sorry for the
trouble.

P.P.S.: Sorry for crossposting this to five lists, but it seemed the
right thing to do for this announcement...

Old 10-25-2008, 04:23 PM
Nicolas Mailhot

Le samedi 25 octobre 2008 à 17:04 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis a écrit :
> Hi!
>
> Find below a cut'n'pasted and slightly enhanced version of a post from
> my blog FYI:

> As you'll likely have heard by now: RPM Fusion ( http://rpmfusion.org ),
> the merger of Dribble, Freshrpms and Livna gets closer to its official
> release/start.

BTW,

If rpmfusion can not use the modern proxy-friendly createro it should
really define http_caching=packages in its yum repo files.

--
Nicolas Mailhot

Old 10-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Thorsten Leemhuis

Find below a cut'n'pasted and slightly enhanced version of a post from
my blog FYI:
As you'll likely have heard by now: RPM Fusion ( http://rpmfusion.org ),
the merger of Dribble, Freshrpms and Livna gets closer to its official
release/start.

BTW,
If rpmfusion can not use the modern proxy-friendly createro it should
really define http_caching=packages in its yum repo files.

Updating createrepo seems like the way better plan to me instead of that
workaround. Could you be so kind and tell me which createrepo version we
need a least to get a "proxy-friendly createro"? Or is the answer "just
use the latest and greatest" (host is a rhel5 or centos5)?

Cu
knurd

Old 10-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Nicolas Mailhot

Le samedi 25 octobre 2008 à 18:47 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis a écrit :
> On 25.10.2008 18:23, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > Le samedi 25 octobre 2008 à 17:04 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis a écrit :
> >> Find below a cut'n'pasted and slightly enhanced version of a post from
> >> my blog FYI:
> >> As you'll likely have heard by now: RPM Fusion ( http://rpmfusion.org ),
> >> the merger of Dribble, Freshrpms and Livna gets closer to its official
> >> release/start.
> >
> > BTW,
> > If rpmfusion can not use the modern proxy-friendly createro it should
> > really define http_caching=packages in its yum repo files.
>
> Updating createrepo seems like the way better plan to me instead of that
> workaround. Could you be so kind and tell me which createrepo version we
> need a least to get a "proxy-friendly createro"? Or is the answer "just
> use the latest and greatest" (host is a rhel5 or centos5)?

All I can say is that the one used for the rawhide repository works. I
think it's run on a rhel5 host too.

A working version will have long hashes in the repodata filenames.

--
Nicolas Mailhot

Old 10-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Todd Zullinger

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> I installed RPM Fusion this morning by following the instructions
> above. No problems, but when I ran "yum update" I noticed that the
> new repo packages are not labelled any differently from the standard
> Fedora ones. What I mean is that the old Livna RPMs would have
> ...lvn... in their names, but the new ones have nothing analogous.
>
> In the past I've found it useful to be able to quickly list all my
> installed Livna packages ("rpm -qa *lvn*"). Looks like that's
> going to be harder now.

The vendor tag should be sufficient for this task:

rpm -qa --qf '%{name}-%{version}-%{release}.%{arch} %{vendor}
' |
grep -i 'rpm fusion' | awk '{print $1}'