Old 10-24-2008, 05:18 PM
"Ville-Pekka Vainio"

Default Unofficial OpenOffice translations (Was: OpenOffice and go-oo)

Hi,

Inspired by this thread I took a look at the Finnish translations of
OpenOffice in Fedora and also contacted the people who lead the Finnish L10n
project of OpenOffice.

Apparently there are two sets of translations available for OpenOffice. Sun
has the official translations, which are also in Fedora's OpenOffice. Then
there's an unofficial collection of translations, to my knowledge someone
called Pavel Janik collects those translations from the maintainers of each
language and also does unofficial builds with them included. Those
translations are available here:

ftp://ftp.linux.cz/pub/localization/OpenOffice.org/devel/build/Files/DEV300/

It seems the unofficial translations are in some cases much more complete than
the unofficial translations. This is because the Sun Contributor Agreement
process is considered to be too cumbersome and many contributors have not
signed the SCA.

If someone who has not signed the SCA has contributed to the translations then
these translations can't be submitted to Sun's official version anymore
(unless someone goes through the trouble of identifying and taking out those
parts of the translation which are made without the agreement). This is the
case with the Finnish translations and so the Finnish translations included
in Sun's official source code and Fedora have not been updated in three
years! The situation is probably similar with other languages as well.

The unofficial translations provided by Pavel Janik are used in the Debian
derivatives for example. Could Fedora also start using those, so we would get
a more completely translated OpenOffice?

--
Ville-Pekka Vainio

Old 10-24-2008, 07:05 PM
"Ville-Pekka Vainio"

Ville-Pekka Vainio wrote:

> It seems the unofficial translations are in some cases much more complete
> than the unofficial translations.

Yeah right. I meant "It seems the unofficial translations are in some cases
much more complete than the _official_ translations."

--
Ville-Pekka Vainio

Old 10-27-2008, 06:11 AM
Nicu Buculei

Ville-Pekka Vainio wrote:

It seems the unofficial translations are in some cases much more complete than
the unofficial translations. This is because the Sun Contributor Agreement
process is considered to be too cumbersome and many contributors have not
signed the SCA.

Is not necessarily about the SCA, but more about extra features, like
the build system.

Some months ago, when it was clear that our (Romanian) translation will
not be ready for 3.0, it was decided to target 3.1, but Sun was not
accepting translations for 3.1, they were focused on 3.0.
Also Pavel provide localized builds for *each* language every two weeks
(is not easy to build OOo yourself), so it is a very useful convenience
for translators who need the builds for QA their progressing work.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Caolán McNamara

On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 09:11 +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Is not necessarily about the SCA, but more about extra features, like
> the build system.
>
> Some months ago, when it was clear that our (Romanian) translation will
> not be ready for 3.0, it was decided to target 3.1, but Sun was not
> accepting translations for 3.1, they were focused on 3.0.
> Also Pavel provide localized builds for *each* language every two weeks
> (is not easy to build OOo yourself), so it is a very useful convenience
> for translators who need the builds for QA their progressing work.

Yup pjanik's translation-focused work is a great resource and has helped
loads of translators and translations get bootstrapped up. But just to
be clear here, pjaniks builds are a additional *third*
translation-focused stream, separate to ooo-build (go-ooo.org) and Sun's
vanilla builds. i.e. what pops out at
http://ftp.linux.cz/pub/localization/OpenOffice.org/... is a vanilla Ooo
with the additional sdf files applied.

We could also add late translations (or LGPL translations that have
contributors that didn't sign the Sun SCA) as extra Sources: in
our .spec, as we did for a F-9 update for some Serbian translations when
someone asked to have them included. Though I'm not particularly
enthused about adding never-to-be-merged translations after I only got
our last F-9 out-of-stream translations merged into upstream in this
release.

C.