Old 10-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Bill Nottingham

Default dependencies between {swfdec-mozilla, gnash-plugin} and nspluginwrapper

Martín Marqués (martin.marques@gmail.com) said:
> Yesterday I started to finish configuring some things that were left
> behind on my new laptop (amd64), and bumpped up with flash support for
> firefox.
>
> The thing is that swfdec didn't work, and gnash neither.
>
> Solution: remove nspluginwrapper.
>
> So I wanted to ask before opening a bug report: shouldn't there be a
> dependency on all 3 packages (don't know about others) so that you can
> only have one of the 3 packages (al least the plugins:
> nspluginwrapper, swfdec-mozilla, gnash-plugin) installed?

nspluginwrapper doesn't actually provide any media handling, so it's
not something that really can be 'Required' on the same level.

Furthermore, given that you'd want nspluginwrapper for other things
while simultaneously using swfdec, or gnash, or whatever else, you
really want to get to the bottom of why it doesn't work with them,
and fix it.

Bill

Old 10-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Patrice Dumas

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 11:41:46AM -0200, Martín Marqués wrote:
> Yesterday I started to finish configuring some things that were left
> behind on my new laptop (amd64), and bumpped up with flash support for
> firefox.
>
> The thing is that swfdec didn't work, and gnash neither.
>
> Solution: remove nspluginwrapper.
>
> So I wanted to ask before opening a bug report: shouldn't there be a
> dependency on all 3 packages (don't know about others) so that you can
> only have one of the 3 packages (al least the plugins:
> nspluginwrapper, swfdec-mozilla, gnash-plugin) installed?

I don't know about nspluginwrapper, but swfdec and gnash should cohabit.
Only one will be active in the browser, but I don't think that a
Conflict is useful, nor warranted between gnash and swfdec.

I'll try to have a look at what happens with nspluginwrapper.

--
Pat

Old 11-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Patrice Dumas

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 11:41:46AM -0200, Martín Marqués wrote:
> Yesterday I started to finish configuring some things that were left
> behind on my new laptop (amd64), and bumpped up with flash support for
> firefox.
>
> The thing is that swfdec didn't work, and gnash neither.

I have just tested, on rawhide, that when gnash and nspluginwrapper are
installed, gnash is used.

--
Pat