Old 10-28-2008, 08:10 AM
Patrice Dumas

Default R-devel going away

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 10:04:40AM -0400, Warren Togami wrote:

> Isn't this exactly counter to the logic behind splitting perl into
> perl-devel, that ended up angering jpo to the point of him quitting
> Fedora?

Not exactly, since the split in R-devel would still be there. R would be
for end users, but for packagers, this package should not be used.

There is another difference, it is that cpan is not in perl-devel, but
requires perl-devel.

> The rest of this explanation seems to make sense. But does this mean we
> make a mistake earlier in the perl split?

I don't remember anybody making the same proposal. But I guess that it
could be doable to do the same for perl, although more tricky. Maybe the
perl meta package could be perl-core + cpan.

--
Pat