-   -   Window / Screen question (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/180721-window-screen-question.html)

"Nathanael D. Noblet" 10-22-2008 06:52 PM

Window / Screen question

Hi,

This isn't a fedora question specifically, however just thought I'd
run it by to get some feedback.

I've had a multi-card/multi-monitor setup for a few months now. It
has been a royal pain. (Only the closed drivers can handle it
unfortunately). I was talking to the radeon/ati driver people and have
been informed that multi-card setups don't get much love from either the
driver developers or upstream/xorg. So I've figured I may move from 3
monitors back to 2 larger (24") monitors. So after that history, here
comes the idea...

I'm wondering if it is possible to have 'fake' monitor
borders/dimensions. So you instruct xorg/gnome/xinerama or whatever that
the 1900 pixel width is 2/3rd + 1/3rd. If I were to click maximize
within either of those imaginary borders, it would maximize to that size
instead of the 1900 px width. If I double clicked, it would then go
fullscreen...

Does this sound at all useful? Opinions / critiques...

--
Nathanael d. Noblet
Gnat Solutions, Inc

"Pavel Shevchuk" 10-22-2008 07:05 PM

Window / Screen question

Sounds like tiling windowmanagers. dwm from http://suckless.org ?

http://scwlab.com

"Nathanael D. Noblet" 10-22-2008 07:23 PM

Window / Screen question

This isn't a fedora question specifically, however just thought I'd run it
by to get some feedback.

I've had a multi-card/multi-monitor setup for a few months now. It has been
a royal pain. (Only the closed drivers can handle it unfortunately). I was
talking to the radeon/ati driver people and have been informed that
multi-card setups don't get much love from either the driver developers or
upstream/xorg. So I've figured I may move from 3 monitors back to 2 larger
(24") monitors. So after that history, here comes the idea...

I'm wondering if it is possible to have 'fake' monitor borders/dimensions.
So you instruct xorg/gnome/xinerama or whatever that the 1900 pixel width is
2/3rd + 1/3rd. If I were to click maximize within either of those imaginary
borders, it would maximize to that size instead of the 1900 px width. If I
double clicked, it would then go fullscreen...

Does this sound at all useful? Opinions / critiques...

> Sounds like tiling windowmanagers. dwm from http://suckless.org ?

Does gnome support this? That would be very nice.

--
Nathanael d. Noblet
Gnat Solutions, Inc

Casey Dahlin 10-22-2008 08:43 PM

Window / Screen question

Nathanael D. Noblet wrote:

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 9:52 PM, Nathanael D. Noblet
This isn't a fedora question specifically, however just thought I'd
run it

by to get some feedback.

I've had a multi-card/multi-monitor setup for a few months now. It
has been
a royal pain. (Only the closed drivers can handle it unfortunately).
I was

talking to the radeon/ati driver people and have been informed that
multi-card setups don't get much love from either the driver
developers or
upstream/xorg. So I've figured I may move from 3 monitors back to 2
larger

(24") monitors. So after that history, here comes the idea...

I'm wondering if it is possible to have 'fake' monitor
borders/dimensions.
So you instruct xorg/gnome/xinerama or whatever that the 1900 pixel
width is
2/3rd + 1/3rd. If I were to click maximize within either of those
imaginary
borders, it would maximize to that size instead of the 1900 px
width. If I

double clicked, it would then go fullscreen...

Does this sound at all useful? Opinions / critiques...

> Sounds like tiling windowmanagers. dwm from http://suckless.org ?

Does gnome support this? That would be very nice.

I don't know that I agree with Nathaniel's recommendation. Tiled window
managers do a lot of neat things, and are worth checking out, but I
don't think they solve your problem specifically.

XRandR might be able to be coaxed into doing what you want. You also
might be able to get Compiz to display 3 workspaces across 2 monitors.

--CJD

"Nathanael D. Noblet" 10-23-2008 12:20 AM

Window / Screen question

Casey Dahlin wrote:

Nathanael D. Noblet wrote:

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 9:52 PM, Nathanael D. Noblet
This isn't a fedora question specifically, however just thought I'd
run it

by to get some feedback.

I've had a multi-card/multi-monitor setup for a few months now. It
has been
a royal pain. (Only the closed drivers can handle it unfortunately).
I was

talking to the radeon/ati driver people and have been informed that
multi-card setups don't get much love from either the driver
developers or
upstream/xorg. So I've figured I may move from 3 monitors back to 2
larger

(24") monitors. So after that history, here comes the idea...

I'm wondering if it is possible to have 'fake' monitor
borders/dimensions.
So you instruct xorg/gnome/xinerama or whatever that the 1900 pixel
width is
2/3rd + 1/3rd. If I were to click maximize within either of those
imaginary
borders, it would maximize to that size instead of the 1900 px
width. If I

double clicked, it would then go fullscreen...

Does this sound at all useful? Opinions / critiques...

> Sounds like tiling windowmanagers. dwm from http://suckless.org ?

Does gnome support this? That would be very nice.

I don't know that I agree with Nathaniel's recommendation. Tiled window
managers do a lot of neat things, and are worth checking out, but I
don't think they solve your problem specifically.

I think you mean Pavel's suggestion...?

XRandR might be able to be coaxed into doing what you want. You also
might be able to get Compiz to display 3 workspaces across 2 monitors.

with configuration, or code?

--
Nathanael d. Noblet
Gnat Solutions, Inc

Matthew Miller 10-23-2008 02:10 AM

Window / Screen question

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 12:52:16PM -0600, Nathanael D. Noblet wrote:
> I'm wondering if it is possible to have 'fake' monitor
> borders/dimensions. So you instruct xorg/gnome/xinerama or whatever that
> the 1900 pixel width is 2/3rd + 1/3rd. If I were to click maximize within
> either of those imaginary borders, it would maximize to that size instead
> of the 1900 px width. If I double clicked, it would then go fullscreen...
> Does this sound at all useful? Opinions / critiques...

XFCE has a feature almost like this in its Workspace Margins. You could tell
it to leave a 633-pixel margin at the right side of the screen, and windows
will be maximized to the area except for that. You can't double-click to go
full-screen, but you can still resize (or move) the window manually into
that area.

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org>
Senior Systems Architect

Bill Crawford 10-29-2008 04:36 PM

Window / Screen question

On Wednesday 22 October 2008 19:52:16 Nathanael D. Noblet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This isn't a fedora question specifically, however just thought I'd
> run it by to get some feedback.
>
> I've had a multi-card/multi-monitor setup for a few months now. It
> has been a royal pain. (Only the closed drivers can handle it
> unfortunately). I was talking to the radeon/ati driver people and have
> been informed that multi-card setups don't get much love from either the
> driver developers or upstream/xorg. So I've figured I may move from 3
> monitors back to 2 larger (24") monitors. So after that history, here
> comes the idea...

Having similar problems here, but without adding nomodeset/nofb options to the
kernel command line I can't even boot this machine into current rawhide. With
nomodeset alone, I get to a command line but there's an oops when it tries to
load the radeon driver.

> I'm wondering if it is possible to have 'fake' monitor
> borders/dimensions. So you instruct xorg/gnome/xinerama or whatever that
> the 1900 pixel width is 2/3rd + 1/3rd. If I were to click maximize
> within either of those imaginary borders, it would maximize to that size
> instead of the 1900 px width. If I double clicked, it would then go
> fullscreen...
>
> Does this sound at all useful? Opinions / critiques...

This sounds very like a debugging mode metacity used to have where it would
pretend you had two side by side half-width screens (so apps would maximise to
half the desktop) but it wasn't configurable, just a way to test xinerama code
in metacity. Would be extremely useful, for me at least, if I get the 1920 by
1200 monitor I'd like :-q