Old 10-22-2008, 10:46 AM
Manuel Wolfshant

Default kde needs mysql-server ??

Hey

Do we really need mysql-server on a _desktop_ running kde ?

[root@pc37 tmp]# rpm -q --whatrequires mysql-server
akonadi-1.0.0-3.fc10.i386
[root@pc37 tmp]# rpm -q --whatrequires akonadi-1.0.0-3.fc10.i386
no package requires akonadi-1.0.0-3.fc10.i386
[root@pc37 tmp]# rpm -e akonadi
error: Failed dependencies:
libakonadiprotocolinternals.so.1 is needed by (installed)
kdepimlibs-4.1.2-2.fc10.i386

[root@pc37 tmp]# rpm -q --whatrequires libakonadiprotocolinternals.so.1
akonadi-1.0.0-3.fc10.i386
kdepimlibs-4.1.2-2.fc10.i386
[root@pc37 tmp]# rpm -q --whatrequires akonadi
no package requires akonadi
[root@pc37 tmp]# rpm -q --whatrequires kdepimlibs
kdebase-runtime-4.1.2-5.fc10.i386
kdebase-libs-4.1.2-5.fc10.i386

Guess what requires kdebase-[libs|runtime]

I know that hard disk space is less expensive than it used to be, but....

Old 10-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Rex Dieter

Manuel Wolfshant wrote:

> Do we really need mysql-server on a _desktop_ running kde ?
>
> [root@pc37 tmp]# rpm -q --whatrequires mysql-server
> akonadi-1.0.0-3.fc10.i386

In short (atm), yes:
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi

-- Rex

Old 10-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Enrico Scholz

Rex Dieter <rdieter@math.unl.edu> writes:

>> Do we really need mysql-server on a _desktop_ running kde ?
>>
>> [root@pc37 tmp]# rpm -q --whatrequires mysql-server
>> akonadi-1.0.0-3.fc10.i386
>
> In short (atm), yes:
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi

Do you mean:

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi#Can_Akonadi_use_a_normal_MySQL_server_runn ing_on_my_system.3F

? --> akonadi doees not need a local mysql-server but can use a mysql
server running somewhere else.

Enrico

Old 10-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Rex Dieter

Enrico Scholz wrote:

> Do you mean:
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi#Can_Akonadi_use_a_normal_MySQL_server_runn ing_on_my_system.3F
> ? --> akonadi doees not need a local mysql-server but can use a mysql
> server running somewhere else.

Theoretically, yes. The default config is to use a local one, however.

-- Rex

Old 10-22-2008, 04:24 PM
"Christopher Stone"

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 7:01 AM, Rex Dieter <rdieter@math.unl.edu> wrote:

Enrico Scholz wrote:

> Do you mean:

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi#Can_Akonadi_use_a_normal_MySQL_server_runn ing_on_my_system.3F

> ? *--> akonadi doees not need a local mysql-server but can use a mysql

> server running somewhere else.

Theoretically, yes. *The default config is to use a local one, however.

-- Rex

mysql-server should not be a requirement then.* If it is possible to run the server on another machine, then the mysql-server should be removed from the Requires.

I do the exact same thing with one of my packages, poker-server.* poker-server *requires* a mysql-server, but does not require that it be run on the same machine.* Therefore mysql-server should *NOT* be in the Requires list.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Aioanei Rares

Rex Dieter wrote:

Enrico Scholz wrote:

Do you mean:

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi#Can_Akonadi_use_a_normal_MySQL_server_runn ing_on_my_system.3F

? --> akonadi doees not need a local mysql-server but can use a mysql
server running somewhere else.

Theoretically, yes. The default config is to use a local one, however.

-- Rex

Try removing mysql-server and see how many important packages it pulls
after it...that is, important for a desktop user.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:05 PM
Rex Dieter

Christopher Stone wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 7:01 AM, Rex Dieter <rdieter@math.unl.edu> wrote:
>> Enrico Scholz wrote:
>> > Do you mean:

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi#Can_Akonadi_use_a_normal_MySQL_server_runn ing_on_my_system.3F
>> > ? --> akonadi doees not need a local mysql-server but can use a mysql
>> > server running somewhere else.
>>
>> Theoretically, yes. The default config is to use a local one, however.

> mysql-server should not be a requirement then. If it is possible to run
> the server on another machine, then the mysql-server should be removed
> from the Requires.

And make default config not work? It's a balancing act, where there is no
100% correct solution, I'm afraid.

Soft dependencies, could theoretically help in cases like this too.

-- Rex

Old 10-22-2008, 05:16 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Rex Dieter wrote:

Enrico Scholz wrote:

Do you mean:
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi#Can_Akonadi_use_a_normal_MySQL_server_runn ing_on_my_system.3F

? --> akonadi doees not need a local mysql-server but can use a mysql
server running somewhere else.

Theoretically, yes. The default config is to use a local one, however.

Then, instead of a direct dependency, it might be better to add the
package to the comps group, leaving the users to remove the package if
it is not required for their local configuration.

Rahul

Old 10-22-2008, 05:33 PM
Rex Dieter

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Rex Dieter wrote:
>> Enrico Scholz wrote:
>>
>>> Do you mean:

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi#Can_Akonadi_use_a_normal_MySQL_server_runn ing_on_my_system.3F
>>> ? --> akonadi doees not need a local mysql-server but can use a mysql
>>> server running somewhere else.
>>
>> Theoretically, yes. The default config is to use a local one, however.
>
> Then, instead of a direct dependency, it might be better to add the
> package to the comps group, leaving the users to remove the package if
> it is not required for their local configuration.

That's an option we'll consider.

-- Rex

Old 10-22-2008, 05:38 PM
James Antill

> Rex Dieter wrote:
> > Enrico Scholz wrote:
> >
> >> Do you mean:
> > http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi#Can_Akonadi_use_a_normal_MySQL_server_runn ing_on_my_system.3F
> >> ? --> akonadi doees not need a local mysql-server but can use a mysql
> >> server running somewhere else.
> >
> > Theoretically, yes. The default config is to use a local one, however.
>
> Then, instead of a direct dependency, it might be better to add the
> package to the comps group, leaving the users to remove the package if
> it is not required for their local configuration.

Queue BZs about the fact that "yum groupremove KDE" now deletes the
local mysql-server in 3, 2, ...

--
James Antill <james.antill@redhat.com>
Red Hat