Old 10-20-2008, 10:11 PM
David Woodhouse

Default uberpackager rename (was The Big ACL Opening)

On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 19:19 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > I have no particular attachment to the 'überpackager' name, but I object
> > strongly to the change on _principle_. Please leave it as it was.
>
> I am amazed how pointless and ignorant and cheap the principles are
> you chose as yours.

First they came for our words, and I remained silent, because I had no
particular attachment to the words I'd chosen...

--
dwmw2

Old 10-21-2008, 08:49 AM
Alan Cox

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 12:40:50PM -0700, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> "Uber" is not the only word that got a wrong transfer into English. Another example, which is a lot worse, is "Gift"*. I don't see any reason of promoting the usage of such wrong transfers. It hurts languages, both English and that language the word is transferred from.

(gift horse...)

But this is quite normal and part of the flow of Language even within a
language. In Shakespeare's time "nice" meant the exact opposite and went through
the exact kind of process that "bad" did to "cool" for a while, only in the case
of "nice" the meaning change stuck.

Alan

Old 10-21-2008, 10:06 AM
Michael Schwendt

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 08:43:49 -0700, Christopher Stone wrote:

> qualitypackger (for quality assurance)

Gah! So many mails about how to name the group while it is not
clear how to use the group's permissions.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:42 AM
"Nicolas Mailhot"

Le Mar 21 octobre 2008 10:49, Alan Cox a écrit :

> On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 12:40:50PM -0700, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>> "Uber" is not the only word that got a wrong transfer into English.
>> Another example, which is a lot worse, is "Gift"*. I don't see any
>> reason of promoting the usage of such wrong transfers. It hurts
>> languages, both English and that language the word is transferred
>> from.
>
> (gift horse...)
>

> But this is quite normal and part of the flow of Language even within
> language. In Shakespeare's time "nice" meant the exact opposite and
> went through
> the exact kind of process that "bad" did to "cool" for a while, only
> in the case
> of "nice" the meaning change stuck.

Anyway there is a huge difference between an old well accepted
transfer and a US-only geek/metal-only FAD that uses a prefix which is
sensitive in other countries.

Many transfers do not withstand the test of time and get stupid fast.

--
Nicolas Mailhot

Old 10-21-2008, 11:58 AM
Matthew Miller

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 12:40:50PM -0700, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> *For the curious, the true meaning of "gift" is "poison".

This seems unlikely. It's more probable that it's just a very old false
cognate, or perhaps that the German word is the one that drifted in meaning.

(Oops. I wasn't going to touch this thread.)

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org>
Senior Systems Architect

Old 10-21-2008, 12:18 PM
"Andrew Parker"

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 1:19 PM, Lennart Poettering
<mzerqung@0pointer.de> wrote:

> I am amazed how pointless and ignorant and cheap the principles are
> you chose as yours.

Lennart, being obnoxious does not promote your view, it does the
opposite. Please refrain from emails like this.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:26 PM
Ralf Corsepius

On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 07:58 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 12:40:50PM -0700, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> > *For the curious, the true meaning of "gift" is "poison".
>
> This seems unlikely. It's more probable that it's just a very old false
> cognate, or perhaps that the German word is the one that drifted in meaning.

The German word "über" corresponds more or less 1:1 to the English word
"over" and in everyday live is being used where English speakers would
use "over" or "above".

Old 10-21-2008, 02:27 PM
Matthew Miller

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 03:26:32PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 12:40:50PM -0700, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> > > *For the curious, the true meaning of "gift" is "poison".
> > This seems unlikely. It's more probable that it's just a very old false
> > cognate, or perhaps that the German word is the one that drifted in meaning.
> The German word "über" corresponds more or less 1:1 to the English word
> "over" and in everyday live is being used where English speakers would
> use "over" or "above".

Yeah, you're talking to a guy with a t-shirt that says "übergeek".

Old 10-21-2008, 04:24 PM
"Horst H. von Brand"

Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@chello.at> wrote:
> David Woodhouse <dwmw2 <at> infradead.org> writes:
> > No, I'm offended by the idea that a common root used in many geek words

> ... by ignorant Americans who are unaware of the true meaning of that
> term!

So? It is not /that/ far off the true meaning in any case.

> > can so easily be declared 'unclean' and eradicated. This is political
> > correctness at its worst, and I find it horrifically offensive. And
> > that's a _current_ issue, not one from the previous millennium.

> The current issue is that it makes Fedora look ignorant.

There might be bad political overtones for some, but ignorant?
Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile 2340000 Fax: +56 32 2797513