Old 10-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Gilboa Davara

Default Chaning the default icewm theme.

Hello all,

I maintain the icewm package under both Fedora and EPEL.
A couple of months ago I modified an existing theme to mimic the look of
Clearlooks and I'm thinking about using it as the default theme in the
next release of IceWM for both platforms.

A couple of problems/questions:
1. Should I include the theme in the main icewm package and use it as
the default theme? The theme is rather small (~27K compressed. ~600K
expanded.)
2. The Fedora theme uses the Fedora icon as it's "start" button. I tried
contacting the Fedora-legal theme and get their permission to use this
icon - but got no replays. Do I require explicit permissions to use this
icon? (I've got the same problem in RHEL/CentOS - but I'll ask the same
question in the EPEL ML.)
3. I was thinking about circumventing the legal/distribution issue by
adding a BR to the default theme on each of the platforms and use the %
post scripts to create a symbolic link between the platform's "logo" and
the missing image within my theme (An ideal solution - the theme will
auto-magically use what-ever logo your
distribution/clone/liveCD/respin/etc is using), however, I couldn't find
any common ground between the different platforms. Where does Fedora
keep it's icons? RHEL/CentOS?

Thanks in advance,
- Gilboa

Old 10-20-2008, 10:44 AM
Rahul Sundaram

Gilboa Davara wrote:

Hello all,

I maintain the icewm package under both Fedora and EPEL.
A couple of months ago I modified an existing theme to mimic the look of
Clearlooks and I'm thinking about using it as the default theme in the
next release of IceWM for both platforms.

Why not something based on Nodoka instead?

A couple of problems/questions:
1. Should I include the theme in the main icewm package and use it as
the default theme? The theme is rather small (~27K compressed. ~600K
expanded.)

Separate package is probably a good idea for people with other preferences.

2. The Fedora theme uses the Fedora icon as it's "start" button. I tried
contacting the Fedora-legal theme and get their permission to use this
icon - but got no replays. Do I require explicit permissions to use this
icon? (I've got the same problem in RHEL/CentOS - but I'll ask the same
question in the EPEL ML.)

Drop a mail to logo AT fedoraproject.org as indicated in
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Logo

3. I was thinking about circumventing the legal/distribution issue

Don't circumvent it.

Rahul

Old 10-20-2008, 11:17 AM
Gilboa Davara

> Gilboa Davara wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I maintain the icewm package under both Fedora and EPEL.
> > A couple of months ago I modified an existing theme to mimic the look of
> > Clearlooks and I'm thinking about using it as the default theme in the
> > next release of IceWM for both platforms.
>
> Why not something based on Nodoka instead?

To be honest, I don't really like Nodoka (/Ducks) - plus, while I did
find a good base for a Clearlooks theme made for Ubuntu (/Ducks once
again), I didn't really find anything that was even close to looking
like Nodoka. (Goes to check again)
Plus, at least for now, I rather have one theme across all platforms.

> > A couple of problems/questions:
> > 1. Should I include the theme in the main icewm package and use it as
> > the default theme? The theme is rather small (~27K compressed. ~600K
> > expanded.)
>
> Separate package is probably a good idea for people with other preferences.

OK. /-1 on the main package idea.
Though, I should add that:
A. icewm comes by default with a number of rather basic themes .
B. The default theme is rather... no-so-pretty. (RedHat Linux 4 anyone?)

> > 2. The Fedora theme uses the Fedora icon as it's "start" button. I tried
> > contacting the Fedora-legal theme and get their permission to use this
> > icon - but got no replays. Do I require explicit permissions to use this
> > icon? (I've got the same problem in RHEL/CentOS - but I'll ask the same
> > question in the EPEL ML.)
>
> Drop a mail to logo AT fedoraproject.org as indicated in
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Logo

Already did (twice?). Didn't really get an answer

> > 3. I was thinking about circumventing the legal/distribution issue
>
> Don't circumvent it.

Lets try it again.
Assuming that my theme can auto-locate the distribution's logo and use
it. What's wrong with that? Legal issues aside, shouldn't icewm/CentOS
look somewhat different than icewm/RHEL or icewm/Fedora?

> Rahul

- Gilboa

Old 10-20-2008, 11:29 AM
Rahul Sundaram

Gilboa Davara wrote:

Plus, at least for now, I rather have one theme across all platforms.
Drop a mail to logo AT fedoraproject.org as indicated in

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Logo

Already did (twice?). Didn't really get an answer

Send a mail to fedora-art list then.

3. I was thinking about circumventing the legal/distribution issue

Don't circumvent it.

Lets try it again.
Assuming that my theme can auto-locate the distribution's logo and use
it. What's wrong with that? Legal issues aside, shouldn't icewm/CentOS
look somewhat different than icewm/RHEL or icewm/Fedora?

I don't see any reason why it should look different.

Rahul

Old 10-20-2008, 12:30 PM
Gilboa Davara

> Gilboa Davara wrote:
>
> > Plus, at least for now, I rather have one theme across all platforms.
> > Drop a mail to logo AT fedoraproject.org as indicated in
> >> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Logo
> >
> > Already did (twice?). Didn't really get an answer
>
> Send a mail to fedora-art list then.

OK. If all else fails, I'll do it.
Any idea who can help me get access to RH's hat icon?

> >> Don't circumvent it.
> >
> > Lets try it again.
> > Assuming that my theme can auto-locate the distribution's logo and use
> > it. What's wrong with that? Legal issues aside, shouldn't icewm/CentOS
> > look somewhat different than icewm/RHEL or icewm/Fedora?
>
> I don't see any reason why it should look different.
>
> Rahul

... Because in KDE and GNOME the "start button" uses the distribution's
icon in both KDE and GNOME.
GNOME: [1], [2], [3] (Fedora, RHEL, CentOS)
KDE: [4], [5], [6] (Fedora, RHEL, CentOS)

- Gilboa
[1] http://news.softpedia.com/images/extra/LINUX/large/fedora9installationguide-large_027.png
[2] http://www.linux-mag.com/images/2007-04/redhat/Screenshot2.png
[3] http://it.seas.harvard.edu/operations/support/services/network-connectivity/screenshots_centos/centos5_open_terminal.png
[4] http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/de/Fedora9-KDE4.png
[5] http://lh5.ggpht.com/_txTorNiMelE/Rt12LIPzEgI/AAAAAAAAAEc/6X_mDq_X9AU/snapshot1.png
[6] http://www.linuxworld.co.uk/images/linux/centos-linux.jpg

Old 10-20-2008, 04:04 PM
Kevin Kofler

Gilboa Davara <gilboad <at> gmail.com> writes:
> 2. The Fedora theme uses the Fedora icon as it's "start" button. I tried
> contacting the Fedora-legal theme and get their permission to use this
> icon - but got no replays. Do I require explicit permissions to use this
> icon? (I've got the same problem in RHEL/CentOS - but I'll ask the same
> question in the EPEL ML.)

You cannot distribute the Fedora logo or the Red Hat red hat as part of your
theme. The logo has to be in the fedora-logos package (for RHEL, that would be
the redhat-logos package, but good luck getting an icon added there - most
likely it would only be added if your theme ends up in an RHEL release and so
the icon is needed, likewise centos-logos will probably only add the icon if
your theme is actually shipped in CentOS, not EPEL or something) and some
fallback has to be provided, either inside the theme if it is possible, or in
generic-logos.

The way it's done in KDE 4 is that:
* kde-settings contains a Fedora-KDE icon theme which inherits from Oxygen and
which is shipped empty. So by default (*), you get the KDE logo from Oxygen as
the start button. Fedora-KDE is also set as the default icon theme for KDE by
kde-settings.
* fedora-logos drops the Fedora logo into that icon theme, so it overrides
Oxygen's KDE logo.
* In our case, no fallback icon is needed in generic-logos because icon theme
inheritance takes care of it automatically.

(*) but that default is only invoked in the absence of fedora-logos

One thing you can do for RHEL/CentOS (which should also work in Fedora) is to
find an icon in redhat-logos which has a fallback with the same file name in
generic-logos (and fedora-logos and centos-logos), then just symlink to that
and add a Requires: system-logos. But you can't use your own fallback (e.g.
IceWM logo) that way, you get whatever is in generic-logos.

Kevin Kofler

Old 10-22-2008, 03:22 PM
Gilboa Davara

On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 16:04 +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Gilboa Davara <gilboad <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > 2. The Fedora theme uses the Fedora icon as it's "start" button. I tried
> > contacting the Fedora-legal theme and get their permission to use this
> > icon - but got no replays. Do I require explicit permissions to use this
> > icon? (I've got the same problem in RHEL/CentOS - but I'll ask the same
> > question in the EPEL ML.)
>
> You cannot distribute the Fedora logo or the Red Hat red hat as part of your
> theme. The logo has to be in the fedora-logos package (for RHEL, that would be
> the redhat-logos package, but good luck getting an icon added there - most
> likely it would only be added if your theme ends up in an RHEL release and so
> the icon is needed, likewise centos-logos will probably only add the icon if
> your theme is actually shipped in CentOS, not EPEL or something) and some
> fallback has to be provided, either inside the theme if it is possible, or in
> generic-logos.
>
> The way it's done in KDE 4 is that:
> * kde-settings contains a Fedora-KDE icon theme which inherits from Oxygen and
> which is shipped empty. So by default (*), you get the KDE logo from Oxygen as
> the start button. Fedora-KDE is also set as the default icon theme for KDE by
> kde-settings.
> * fedora-logos drops the Fedora logo into that icon theme, so it overrides
> Oxygen's KDE logo.
> * In our case, no fallback icon is needed in generic-logos because icon theme
> inheritance takes care of it automatically.
>
> (*) but that default is only invoked in the absence of fedora-logos
>
> One thing you can do for RHEL/CentOS (which should also work in Fedora) is to
> find an icon in redhat-logos which has a fallback with the same file name in
> generic-logos (and fedora-logos and centos-logos), then just symlink to that
> and add a Requires: system-logos. But you can't use your own fallback (e.g.
> IceWM logo) that way, you get whatever is in generic-logos.
>
> Kevin Kofler

Kevin,

Thanks for the info.
I'll give it a try.