-   -   uberpackager rename (was The Big ACL Opening) (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/179088-uberpackager-rename-big-acl-opening.html)

seth vidal 10-19-2008 04:30 PM

On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 09:18 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> So I'm going to do this tomorrow or have to put it off until after
> change freeze.
>
> The name I personally favour is masterpackager since it evokes the
> apprentice, journeyman, master craftsman stages that seem most like what
> we're modeling here.
>
> I know this isn't as flamboyant as ultrapackager, superpackager, etc but
> can everyone live with this?

Wait - so wednesday and pugsley are out?

/me is deeply affronted!

-sv

Jesse Keating 10-19-2008 04:33 PM

uberpackager rename (was The Big ACL Opening)

On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 09:18 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> The name I personally favour is masterpackager since it evokes the
> apprentice, journeyman, master craftsman stages that seem most like what
> we're modeling here.
>
> I know this isn't as flamboyant as ultrapackager, superpackager, etc but
> can everyone live with this?

I don't like that color of the bike shed. I'd prefer it was chartreuse.
Please resubmit your plans once you've gotten the color the way I prefer
it.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedomē is a feature!

Jason L Tibbitts III 10-19-2008 05:50 PM

uberpackager rename (was The Big ACL Opening)

TK> The name I personally favour is masterpackager since it evokes the
TK> apprentice, journeyman, master craftsman stages that seem most
TK> like what we're modeling here.

Or the master/slave relationship, which I must point out is about as
negative a connotation as the one some people insist on attaching to
our current choice.

Culturally insensitive to the end,

- J<

"Christopher Stone" 10-19-2008 06:00 PM

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 10:50 AM, Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@math.uh.edu> wrote:

TK> The name I personally favour is masterpackager since it evokes the

TK> apprentice, journeyman, master craftsman stages that seem most

TK> like what we're modeling here.

Or the master/slave relationship, which I must point out is about as

negative a connotation as the one some people insist on attaching to

our current choice.

Culturally insensitive to the end,

I like "packagelord" since we are heading towards a neo-feudalism like economy thanks to the privately owned central banking and fractional reserve monetary system the western world lives in today.* We need to get used to the idea of being Lords and Serfs.

Nigel Jones 10-19-2008 08:53 PM

On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 12:50 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> TK> The name I personally favour is masterpackager since it evokes the
> TK> apprentice, journeyman, master craftsman stages that seem most
> TK> like what we're modeling here.
>
> Or the master/slave relationship, which I must point out is about as
> negative a connotation as the one some people insist on attaching to
> our current choice.
Then lets just scrap the 'superior' packager group if your worried about
that...

But honestly, there are at least 27 meanings of master
(http://www.answers.com/master) including:

n.
'12. A worker qualified to teach apprentices and carry on the craft
independently'
'13. An expert'

adj.
'4. Highly skilled or proficient'

Admittedly this is the problem with the English language, words such as
'Master' have many different implications.

+1 to Toshio's proposal (which looks like my suggestion :P)

- N.J.

--
Nigel Jones <dev@nigelj.com>

Casey Dahlin 10-20-2008 01:11 AM

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

So I'm going to do this tomorrow or have to put it off until after
change freeze.

The name I personally favour is masterpackager since it evokes the
apprentice, journeyman, master craftsman stages that seem most like what
we're modeling here.

I know this isn't as flamboyant as ultrapackager, superpackager, etc but
can everyone live with this?

-Toshio

Ah, we always end up painting that bike shed, don't we?

Granted, its a /racist/ bike shed, but still... :)

--CJD

Tim Lauridsen 10-20-2008 04:55 AM

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

So I'm going to do this tomorrow or have to put it off until after
change freeze.

The name I personally favour is masterpackager since it evokes the
apprentice, journeyman, master craftsman stages that seem most like what
we're modeling here.

I know this isn't as flamboyant as ultrapackager, superpackager, etc but
can everyone live with this?

-Toshio

master ninja overload super chief packager :)

Tim

Casey Dahlin 10-20-2008 05:06 AM

Tim Lauridsen wrote:

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

So I'm going to do this tomorrow or have to put it off until after
change freeze.

The name I personally favour is masterpackager since it evokes the
apprentice, journeyman, master craftsman stages that seem most like what
we're modeling here.

I know this isn't as flamboyant as ultrapackager, superpackager, etc but
can everyone live with this?

-Toshio

master ninja overload super chief packager :)
Tim

Jellicle Packager

...I'm sorry, that was uncalled for.

--CJD

Orcan Ogetbil 10-20-2008 05:10 AM

uberpackager rename (was The Big ACL Opening)

> > So I'm going to do this tomorrow or have to put it
> off until after
> > change freeze.
> >
> > The name I personally favour is masterpackager since
> it evokes the
> > apprentice, journeyman, master craftsman stages that
> seem most like what
> > we're modeling here.
> >
> > I know this isn't as flamboyant as ultrapackager,
> superpackager, etc but
> > can everyone live with this?
> >
> > -Toshio
> >

> master ninja overload super chief packager :)
>
> Tim

How about GASP? which stands for Gasp Advanced Super Packager. Or something along that way. Is the recursive name idea no longer vogue?
Well I think it's still better than Uberfuhrer.

-oget