Old 10-20-2008, 09:08 AM
Gerd Hoffmann

Default uberpackager rename (was The Big ACL Opening)

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> I know this isn't as flamboyant as ultrapackager, superpackager, etc but
> can everyone live with this?

packagewizards?

cheers,
Gerd

Old 10-20-2008, 09:24 AM
"Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski"

On Monday, 20 October 2008 at 11:08, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > I know this isn't as flamboyant as ultrapackager, superpackager, etc but
> > can everyone live with this?
>
> packagewizards?

I like the sound of that!

"Do not meddle in the affairs of the (package)wizards, for they are subtle
and quick to anger."

A big +1.

Regards,
R.

"Faith manages."

Old 10-20-2008, 09:26 AM
"Aioanei Rares"

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 12:08 PM, Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@redhat.com> wrote:

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> I know this isn't as flamboyant as ultrapackager, superpackager, etc but
> can everyone live with this?

packagewizards?

cheers,
*Gerd

Old 10-20-2008, 09:52 AM
David Woodhouse

On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 09:18 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> So I'm going to do this tomorrow or have to put it off until after
> change freeze.
>
> The name I personally favour is masterpackager since it evokes the
> apprentice, journeyman, master craftsman stages that seem most like what
> we're modeling here.
>
> I know this isn't as flamboyant as ultrapackager, superpackager, etc but
> can everyone live with this?

No, I'm offended by the idea that a common root used in many geek words
can so easily be declared 'unclean' and eradicated. This is political
correctness at its worst, and I find it horrifically offensive. And
that's a _current_ issue, not one from the previous millennium.

I have no particular attachment to the 'überpackager' name, but I object
strongly to the change on _principle_. Please leave it as it was.

--
dwmw2

Old 10-20-2008, 12:56 PM
"Jon Ciesla"

> So I'm going to do this tomorrow or have to put it off until after
> change freeze.
>
> The name I personally favour is masterpackager since it evokes the
> apprentice, journeyman, master craftsman stages that seem most like what
> we're modeling here.
>
> I know this isn't as flamboyant as ultrapackager, superpackager, etc but
> can everyone live with this?

+1.

> -Toshio

novus ordo absurdum

Old 10-20-2008, 01:22 PM
David Tardon

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 09:18:11AM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> So I'm going to do this tomorrow or have to put it off until after
> change freeze.
>
> The name I personally favour is masterpackager since it evokes the
> apprentice, journeyman, master craftsman stages that seem most like what
> we're modeling here.
>
> I know this isn't as flamboyant as ultrapackager, superpackager, etc but
> can everyone live with this?
>
> -Toshio

What about rootpackager?

David

Old 10-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 09:18 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>> So I'm going to do this tomorrow or have to put it off until after
>> change freeze.
>>
>> The name I personally favour is masterpackager since it evokes the
>> apprentice, journeyman, master craftsman stages that seem most like what
>> we're modeling here.
>>
>> I know this isn't as flamboyant as ultrapackager, superpackager, etc but
>> can everyone live with this?
>
> No, I'm offended by the idea that a common root used in many geek words
> can so easily be declared 'unclean' and eradicated. This is political
> correctness at its worst, and I find it horrifically offensive. And
> that's a _current_ issue, not one from the previous millennium.
>
> I have no particular attachment to the 'überpackager' name, but I object
> strongly to the change on _principle_. Please leave it as it was.

I'll comment on this:

I kinda agree with you on the principle of the thing.

However, I also just plain don't like uberpackager. uber has the
connotation of "superior" where I think the group name should be
shooting for the meanings of "more experienced", "proven" and "trusted".

So "ultrapackager", "superpackager", and other prefixes that mean
"superior" would be changing the name just because we want to
self-censor our use of the prefix "uber" due to feeling the word is unclean.

I see changing to "masterpackager", "provenpackager", "trustedpackager",
"experiencedpackager" as a change to be closer to what differentiates
the group from "packager". The fact that it doesn't have the
connotations of uber that started the discussion is an additional plus.

Note that if tibbs is serious about the master/slave connotation, I'd be
happy to change to "provenpackager" instead of "masterpackager" at this
time. But once the change is made, I'd be less inclined to change since
it would be a change just for the political correctness aspect, not to
be closer to the true meaning of the group.

-Toshio

Old 10-20-2008, 03:43 PM
"Christopher Stone"

2008/10/20 Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@gmail.com>

David Woodhouse wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 09:18 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

>> So I'm going to do this tomorrow or have to put it off until after

>> change freeze.

>> The name I personally favour is masterpackager since it evokes the

>> apprentice, journeyman, master craftsman stages that seem most like what

>> we're modeling here.

>> I know this isn't as flamboyant as ultrapackager, superpackager, etc but

>> can everyone live with this?

> No, I'm offended by the idea that a common root used in many geek words

> can so easily be declared 'unclean' and eradicated. This is political

> correctness at its worst, and I find it horrifically offensive. And

> that's a _current_ issue, not one from the previous millennium.

> I have no particular attachment to the 'überpackager' name, but I object

> strongly to the change on _principle_. Please leave it as it was.

I'll comment on this:

I kinda agree with you on the principle of the thing.

However, I also just plain don't like uberpackager. *uber has the

connotation of "superior" where I think the group name should be

shooting for the meanings of "more experienced", "proven" and "trusted".

So "ultrapackager", "superpackager", and other prefixes that mean

"superior" would be changing the name just because we want to

self-censor our use of the prefix "uber" due to feeling the word is unclean.

I see changing to "masterpackager", "provenpackager", "trustedpackager",

"experiencedpackager" as a change to be closer to what differentiates

the group from "packager". *The fact that it doesn't have the

connotations of uber that started the discussion is an additional plus.

Note that if tibbs is serious about the master/slave connotation, I'd be

happy to change to "provenpackager" instead of "masterpackager" at this

time. *But once the change is made, I'd be less inclined to change since

it would be a change just for the political correctness aspect, not to

be closer to the true meaning of the group.

-Toshio

qualitypackger (for quality assurance)

Old 10-20-2008, 04:02 PM
David Woodhouse

On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 06:33 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> However, I also just plain don't like uberpackager. uber has the
> connotation of "superior" where I think the group name should be
> shooting for the meanings of "more experienced", "proven" and
> "trusted".

To be honest, that sounds like onanistic political correctness too, and
is almost as offensive to me as the other reason for changing it.

--
dwmw2

Old 10-20-2008, 04:06 PM
Kevin Kofler

David Woodhouse <dwmw2 <at> infradead.org> writes:
> No, I'm offended by the idea that a common root used in many geek words

... by ignorant Americans who are unaware of the true meaning of that term!

> can so easily be declared 'unclean' and eradicated. This is political
> correctness at its worst, and I find it horrifically offensive. And
> that's a _current_ issue, not one from the previous millennium.

The current issue is that it makes Fedora look ignorant.

Kevin Kofler