Old 10-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Richard Hughes

Default PackageKit soon to include the QPackageKit library, need advice

Upstream the PackageKit-Qt library binding has been merged into the
PackageKit scm and will be in the next release tarball. This allows us
to keep the libraries in sync and also means QPackageKit gets a lot of
the love that PackageKit gets.

Love includes things like a .pc file, consistent so versioning, make
check integration and also much better integration with upstream.

Now we have two libraries (soon to be three), I'm intending to rename:

PackageKit-libs -> PackageKit-libs-glib
PackageKit-devel -> PackageKit-glib-devel

This allows us to create PackageKit-libs-qt and PackageKit-qt-devel and
then provide this for other QT and KDE applications to trivially build
against.

Does this conform to fedora naming conventions? I thought it was odd to
have -libs-foo and -foo-devel (switched order) but am trying to copy
convention from other frameworks in the repos.

This will obsolete qpackagekit, and kpackagekit will have to be rebuilt
against PackageKit-qt. This isn't a problem. kpackagekit is heading into
kde svn soon too, as this will be the future long term home of the KDE
bits.

Comments and suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Richard.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:57 PM
drago01

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 9:51 PM, Richard Hughes <hughsient@gmail.com> wrote:
> Upstream the PackageKit-Qt library binding has been merged into the
> PackageKit scm and will be in the next release tarball. This allows us
> to keep the libraries in sync and also means QPackageKit gets a lot of
> the love that PackageKit gets.
>
> Love includes things like a .pc file, consistent so versioning, make
> check integration and also much better integration with upstream.
>
> Now we have two libraries (soon to be three), I'm intending to rename:
>
> PackageKit-libs -> PackageKit-libs-glib

why not just PackageKit-glib ? like NetworkManager-glib, dbus-glib,
avahi-glib etc.

> PackageKit-devel -> PackageKit-glib-devel
>
> This allows us to create PackageKit-libs-qt and PackageKit-qt-devel and
> then provide this for other QT and KDE applications to trivially build
> against.

same here I would just drop the libs and call it PackageKit-qt