Old 10-18-2008, 04:07 PM
kwhiskerz

Default xorg-x11-drv-evdev-7.0.1-2 bad!

evdev driver 7.0.1-2 makes keyboard input impossible. All key-presses are done in triplicate, including backspace, so it is impossible to correct the erroneous input.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:58 PM
"Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski"

On Saturday, 18 October 2008 at 18:07, kwhiskerz wrote:
> evdev driver 7.0.1-2 makes keyboard input impossible. All key-presses
> are done in triplicate, including backspace, so it is impossible
> to correct the erroneous input.

$ rpm -q xorg-x11-drv-evdev
xorg-x11-drv-evdev-2.0.7-1.fc10.i386

You seem to have mixed up the version. Which one did you mean, again?
And what's the bug report number in bugzilla for your problem? Just
posting about it here won't help you.

Regards,
R.

"Faith manages."

Old 10-18-2008, 08:22 PM
kwhiskerz

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:

> You seem to have mixed up the version. Which one did you mean, again?

I did. See the next message.

> And what's the bug report number in bugzilla for your problem? Just
> posting about it here won't help you.

Wishful thinking. I was hoping it would be that easy and someone would magically come up with the solution. I did file a bug report in the end: 467573.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:56 AM
Peter Hutterer

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 10:07:10AM -0600, kwhiskerz wrote:
> evdev driver 7.0.1-2 makes keyboard input impossible. All key-presses are done in triplicate, including backspace, so it is impossible to correct the erroneous input.

http://who-t.blogspot.com/2008/10/new-keyboard-configuration-handling.html

Are you running xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.5.2-5? Should have been pulled in by
the Requires.

If so, I would like to see your xorg.conf please, because I thought I covered
all cases that would lead to duplicate events.

Cheers,
Peter

Old 10-19-2008, 08:20 AM
George Billios

> On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 10:07:10AM -0600, kwhiskerz wrote:
>> evdev driver 7.0.1-2 makes keyboard input impossible. All key-presses are done in triplicate, including backspace, so it is impossible to correct the erroneous input.
>
> http://who-t.blogspot.com/2008/10/new-keyboard-configuration-handling.html
>
> Are you running xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.5.2-5? Should have been pulled in by
> the Requires.
>
> If so, I would like to see your xorg.conf please, because I thought I covered
> all cases that would lead to duplicate events.
>
> Cheers,
> Peter

I will also send you mine by email because I was hit by the same problem
even if the updated xorg-x11-server-Xorg was installed.

In the mean time I would advice to reverse back to the old behaviour,
since it is way to close to the F10 release to do these kind of changes.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:19 AM
Peter Hutterer

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 11:20:19AM +0300, George Billios wrote:
> I will also send you mine by email because I was hit by the same problem
> even if the updated xorg-x11-server-Xorg was installed.

Summary from our short email exchange:
If you have an xorg.conf that registers an evdev device, this device will now
produce duplicate events. For most setups, you probably don't need it in your
xorg.conf because HAL picks it up anyway. If you really do, add option
"GrabDevice" "true" and that'll restore the old grabbing behaviour.

> In the mean time I would advice to reverse back to the old behaviour,
> since it is way to close to the F10 release to do these kind of changes.

No. the old behaviour is too broken, and it's good that it's finally fixed.
"Macintosh mouse button emulation" and the keys that control volume, suspend,
etc. are broken in the old behaviour, and that's a quite serious regression
from F9.

Cheers,
Peter

Old 10-19-2008, 12:47 PM
George Billios

> On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 11:20:19AM +0300, George Billios wrote:
>> I will also send you mine by email because I was hit by the same problem
>> even if the updated xorg-x11-server-Xorg was installed.
>
> Summary from our short email exchange:
> If you have an xorg.conf that registers an evdev device, this device will now
> produce duplicate events. For most setups, you probably don't need it in your
> xorg.conf because HAL picks it up anyway. If you really do, add option
> "GrabDevice" "true" and that'll restore the old grabbing behaviour.
>
>> In the mean time I would advice to reverse back to the old behaviour,
>> since it is way to close to the F10 release to do these kind of changes.
>
> No. the old behaviour is too broken, and it's good that it's finally fixed.
> "Macintosh mouse button emulation" and the keys that control volume, suspend,
> etc. are broken in the old behaviour, and that's a quite serious regression
> from F9.
>
> Cheers,
> Peter

Well I must agree that no device section worked better than I expected
but it required manually editing the xorg.conf and deleting the
respective section.

What happens with all the people upgrading from F9? Will the Xorg rpm
handle this?

Old 10-19-2008, 04:42 PM
"Horst H. von Brand"

kwhiskerz <kwhiskerz@gmail.com> wrote:
> evdev driver 7.0.1-2 makes keyboard input impossible. All key-presses are
> done in triplicate, including backspace, so it is impossible to correct
> the erroneous input.

What I have here is xorg-x11-drv-evdev-2.0.7-1.fc10.x86_64, and that works
fine.
Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile 2340000 Fax: +56 32 2797513

Old 10-19-2008, 05:09 PM
kwhiskerz

Get rid of any xorg.conf file you have and all is fine. Works on both my computers.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:31 AM
Peter Hutterer

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 03:47:10PM +0300, George Billios wrote:
> > Summary from our short email exchange:
> > If you have an xorg.conf that registers an evdev device, this device will now
> > produce duplicate events. For most setups, you probably don't need it in your
> > xorg.conf because HAL picks it up anyway. If you really do, add option
> > "GrabDevice" "true" and that'll restore the old grabbing behaviour.

[...]
> Well I must agree that no device section worked better than I expected
> but it required manually editing the xorg.conf and deleting the
> respective section.
>
> What happens with all the people upgrading from F9? Will the Xorg rpm
> handle this?

xorg-x11-drv-evdev-2.0.7-2 (just pushed, still warm) handles the last
use-case, avoiding duplicate events.

So we're basically back to all the old behaviours, but without the grab now.
F9 upgraders should only notice the difference if HAL is broken or they look
into the log files.

Cheers,
Peter