Old 10-17-2008, 07:49 PM
Jesse Keating

Default Collapsing DVD and CD torrents into one

Most torrent clients I've seen today allow you to pick and choose which
files you wish to download. As such, does it make sense to collapse the
DVD and CD torrents into a single torrent and allow people to use the
client to pick which they want? Are there pros/cons to this?

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom≤ is a feature!

Old 10-17-2008, 07:51 PM
"Jon Ciesla"

> Most torrent clients I've seen today allow you to pick and choose which
> files you wish to download. As such, does it make sense to collapse the
> DVD and CD torrents into a single torrent and allow people to use the
> client to pick which they want? Are there pros/cons to this?

Does it work it bittorrent-curses?

> --
> Jesse Keating
> Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!
> identi.ca: http://identi.ca/jkeating

novus ordo absurdum

Old 10-17-2008, 07:51 PM
Conrad Meyer

On Friday 17 October 2008 12:49:15 pm Jesse Keating wrote:
> Most torrent clients I've seen today allow you to pick and choose which
> files you wish to download. As such, does it make sense to collapse the
> DVD and CD torrents into a single torrent and allow people to use the
> client to pick which they want? Are there pros/cons to this?

Something to keep in mind: Debian doesn't even put multiple CDs/DVDs from the
same release into one torrent, instead having a separate torrent per ISO. I'm
not entirely sure of their rationale for doing this, but maybe keep it in
mind?

Conrad Meyer <konrad@tylerc.org>

Old 10-17-2008, 07:52 PM
Bill Nottingham

Jesse Keating (jkeating@redhat.com) said:
> Most torrent clients I've seen today allow you to pick and choose which
> files you wish to download. As such, does it make sense to collapse the
> DVD and CD torrents into a single torrent and allow people to use the
> client to pick which they want? Are there pros/cons to this?

By 'most', do you know specifically which ones do not?

Bill

Old 10-17-2008, 07:52 PM
Conrad Meyer

On Friday 17 October 2008 12:51:08 pm Jon Ciesla wrote:
> > Most torrent clients I've seen today allow you to pick and choose which
> > files you wish to download. As such, does it make sense to collapse the
> > DVD and CD torrents into a single torrent and allow people to use the
> > client to pick which they want? Are there pros/cons to this?
>
> Does it work it bittorrent-curses?

I believe rtorrent can selectively enable or disable individual files in a
torrent, and it has a curses interface.

--
Conrad Meyer <konrad@tylerc.org>

Old 10-17-2008, 07:57 PM
seth vidal

> Most torrent clients I've seen today allow you to pick and choose which
> files you wish to download. As such, does it make sense to collapse the
> DVD and CD torrents into a single torrent and allow people to use the
> client to pick which they want? Are there pros/cons to this?

mindlessness for downloading, I guess.

limiting space consumed?

-sv

Old 10-17-2008, 07:58 PM
Kai Engert

Jesse Keating wrote:

Most torrent clients I've seen today allow you to pick and choose which
files you wish to download. As such, does it make sense to collapse the
DVD and CD torrents into a single torrent and allow people to use the
client to pick which they want? Are there pros/cons to this?

Those who don't know about this (or are too lazy to check) will download
everything, causing extra traffic.

Kai

Old 10-17-2008, 07:59 PM
John Reiser

Most torrent clients I've seen today allow you to pick and choose which
files you wish to download.

The original bittorrent client does *NOT* have this feature.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:04 PM
Jesse Keating

> By 'most', do you know specifically which ones do not?

Hrm, actually I don't. The 'most' is anecdotal as well. Every client
I've used supports it, however I wouldn't feel comfortable saying every
client supports it.

I've used transmission, Azureus, deluge, and a couple others I can't
remember any more.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:06 PM
seth vidal

> On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 15:52 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > By 'most', do you know specifically which ones do not?
>
> Hrm, actually I don't. The 'most' is anecdotal as well. Every client
> I've used supports it, however I wouldn't feel comfortable saying every
> client supports it.
>
> I've used transmission, Azureus, deluge, and a couple others I can't
> remember any more.

how about the default bittorrent-curses client?

-sv