Old 10-16-2008, 06:13 AM
Jon Masters

Default minimum memory requirements

Hi,

I've noticed that a fresh rawhide install is ooming unless I allocate
512MB to the guest machine that it is running within. Is this to be
expected? i.e. are we requiring 512MB now for a new install?

Not a loaded/baited question. I'd expect to install in 256MB.

Jon.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:12 AM
Jon Masters

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 10:45 +0300, Aioanei Rares wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 9:13 AM, Jon Masters
> <jonathan@jonmasters.org>

> I've noticed that a fresh rawhide install is ooming unless I
> allocate 512MB to the guest machine that it is running within.

> Could be beacause of the debuginfo present in rawhide but left out on
> release.

Nah. I don't see how that would account for such a difference. This is
crashing early in the install - prior to partitioning. I'm a bit behind
in Anaconda phraseology, but this is almost what used to be stage 1,
except we're running within a 100MB+ ramdisk image with a GUI now.

Something is using a lot of memory (anaconda) and causing the kernel
badness calculation to blame it for all the world's evils. I'd love to
know if others have seen this, especially in F-10 Beta.

Jon.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:37 AM
Jon Masters

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 04:12 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 10:45 +0300, Aioanei Rares wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 9:13 AM, Jon Masters
> > <jonathan@jonmasters.org>
>
> > I've noticed that a fresh rawhide install is ooming unless I
> > allocate 512MB to the guest machine that it is running within.
>

> > Could be beacause of the debuginfo present in rawhide but left out on
> > release.
>
> Nah. I don't see how that would account for such a difference. This is
> crashing early in the install - prior to partitioning. I'm a bit behind
> in Anaconda phraseology, but this is almost what used to be stage 1,
> except we're running within a 100MB+ ramdisk image with a GUI now.
>
> Something is using a lot of memory (anaconda) and causing the kernel
> badness calculation to blame it for all the world's evils. I'd love to
> know if others have seen this, especially in F-10 Beta.

FYI,
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats/ArchSpecific#Hardware_requirements_for_x86 states that the minimum requirements for x86 are:

* Recommended for text-mode: 200 MHz Pentium-class or better
* Recommended for graphical: 400 MHz Pentium II or better
* Minimum RAM for text-mode: 128MiB
* Minimum RAM for graphical: 192MiB
* Recommended RAM for graphical: 256MiB

I'd dispute the CPU requirements (but that's another subject anyway) but
I'm having to allocate at least 384MB of (virtual) RAM for the system to
not regularly OOM. That seems a little high, even for rawhide. Do the
minimum requirements need updating?

Jon.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:39 AM
Jon Masters

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 04:38 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:

> I'd dispute the CPU requirements (but that's another subject anyway) but
> I'm having to allocate at least 384MB of (virtual) RAM for the system to
> not regularly OOM. That seems a little high, even for rawhide. Do the
> minimum requirements need updating?

Gah, ignore me. I meant to install i386 earlier but wound up installing
an x86_64 image which accounts for the difference. And the docs agree
fully with my subsequent experience

Jon.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:47 AM
"Aioanei Rares"

Old 10-16-2008, 09:14 AM
"Gianluca Sforna"

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Jon Masters <jonathan@jonmasters.org> wrote:
> Something is using a lot of memory (anaconda)

I read NetworkManager is being integrated in anaconda. Maybe related?

--
Gianluca Sforna

http://morefedora.blogspot.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/gianlucasforna

Old 10-16-2008, 10:21 AM
Jon Masters

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 11:47 +0300, Aioanei Rares wrote:

> Gah, ignore me. I meant to install i386 earlier but wound up
> installing
> an x86_64 image which accounts for the difference. And the
> docs agree
> fully with my subsequent experience

> Either way, I think you're right...the req's are kinda high...

Well, yes. I will do an i386 install later and compare. I don't really
blame the *x86_64* figures for being so high, largely because any system
featuring an x86_64 probably never had less than 256MB RAM and 512MB
really isn't all that much to be expecting these days. It'd just be
nicer if we could install in a virtual machine with less allocated.

Jon.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:54 AM
"Aioanei Rares"

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 1:21 PM, Jon Masters <jonathan@jonmasters.org> wrote:

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 11:47 +0300, Aioanei Rares wrote:

> * * * * Gah, ignore me. I meant to install i386 earlier but wound up
> * * * * installing
> * * * * an x86_64 image which accounts for the difference. And the

> * * * * docs agree
> * * * * fully with my subsequent experience

> Either way, I think you're right...the req's are kinda high...

Well, yes. I will do an i386 install later and compare. I don't really
blame the *x86_64* figures for being so high, largely because any system

featuring an x86_64 probably never had less than 256MB RAM and 512MB
really isn't all that much to be expecting these days. It'd just be
nicer if we could install in a virtual machine with less allocated.

Jon.

x86_64 requires more disk space/RAM because of the libraries. But it still would be nice if
we could come up with some idea to un-bloat various aspects in Fedora, aspects which
attract a somehow negative image upon the distribution.