Old 10-15-2008, 09:43 AM
"Peter Robinson"

Default First steps of the transition from Livna to RPM Fusion begins now for livna-devel users!

> Find below a cut'n'pasted and slightly enhanced version of a post from my
> blog FYI:
>

> As you'll likely have heard by now: RPM Fusion ( http://rpmfusion.org ), the
> merger of Dribble, Freshrpms and Livna gets closer to its official
> release/start. Most of the packages from Livna have been imported and build
> for RPM Fusion already, hence we now begin to slowly move users from Livna
> over to RPM Fusion by activating the RPM Fusion free and nonfree rawhide
> repos for users of livna's devel branch *now*.
>
> The transition works like this: I just added the rpmfusion-release packages
> for the RPM Fusion's free and nonfree rawhide repos to the livna-devel repo;
> in parallel I built a new livna-release package that tracks those two in
> with a hard dep. That way all users that installed livna properly (e.g. by
> installing the livna-release package) will get RPM Fusion repos enabled
> automatically with the next update. Yum/PK will hence with the overnext
> update will download a big bunch of updates, as all the packages were build
> anew for RPM Fusion; but rawhide users are likely used to big downloads, so
> this should hopefully not be a big problem ;-)
>
> Note, nearly all of livna's packages have been imported and build for RPM
> Fusion, but a few are still missing. So you should leave livna-devel enabled
> for now if you want access to those. Once all the packages have a new home
> we'll let the rpmfusion-nonfree-release package obsolete livna-release.
>
> But please note that all the packages that have been imported and build in
> RPM Fusion will *not* be updated anymore in livna-devel! Hence if you didn't
> install livna using the livna-release package then please enable RPM Fusion
> using the following command:
>
>> rpm -ivh
>>
>> http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-rawhide.noarch.rpm
>>

>> http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-rawhide.noarch.rpm
>
> That command from now on is the right one to use if you want RPM Fusion
> enabled on your fresh new Fedora Alpha/Beta/RC/Rawhide install.

Is there any chance of getting all the kmod packages rebuilt against
the the current 2.6.27-3 release? The rest of the packages I've tested
look great, its just some of the kmod ones I can't.

Peter

Old 10-15-2008, 10:13 AM
"Peter Robinson"

>>> Find below a cut'n'pasted and slightly enhanced version of a post from my
>>> blog FYI:
>>>
>>> As you'll likely have heard by now: RPM Fusion ( http://rpmfusion.org ),
>>> the
>>> merger of Dribble, Freshrpms and Livna gets closer to its official
>>> release/start. Most of the packages from Livna have been imported and
>>> build
>>> for RPM Fusion already, hence we now begin to slowly move users from
>>> Livna
>>> over to RPM Fusion by activating the RPM Fusion free and nonfree rawhide
>>> repos for users of livna's devel branch *now*.
>>> [...]
>>
>> Is there any chance of getting all the kmod packages rebuilt against
>> the the current 2.6.27-3 release? The rest of the packages I've tested
>> look great, its just some of the kmod ones I can't.
>
> I build the kmods for the kernel that were shipped with the beta. If you
> follow rawhide then you might want to install the akmod-packages (e.g.
> akmod-nvidia); then the akmods scripts will automatically build new kmod
> packages when you install a new kernel-install (or during boot); that's
> similar to how dkms does it.
>
> The plan is to rebuild all kmods in RPM Fusion for the latest rawhide kernel
> automatically once a week (likely on each Sunday) to make sure they still
> compile (and for users with slow netbooks, where you don't want to compile
> modules); but I haven't got around to set that up yet, sorry.

The netbook wifi drivers were what I was after as my netbook doesn't
have the space for compilers etc. and I don't have any other i386
boxes around to recompile and hadn't had time to try and work out how
to make mock build them. Weekly would be great.

Peter

Old 10-15-2008, 11:09 AM
"Peter Robinson"

>>> I build the kmods for the kernel that were shipped with the beta. If you
>>> follow rawhide then you might want to install the akmod-packages (e.g.
>>> akmod-nvidia); then the akmods scripts will automatically build new kmod
>>> packages when you install a new kernel-install (or during boot); that's
>>> similar to how dkms does it.
>>>
>>> The plan is to rebuild all kmods in RPM Fusion for the latest rawhide
>>> kernel
>>> automatically once a week (likely on each Sunday) to make sure they still
>>> compile (and for users with slow netbooks, where you don't want to
>>> compile
>>> modules); but I haven't got around to set that up yet, sorry.
>>
>> The netbook wifi drivers were what I was after as my netbook [...]
>
> I suppose you own a 1st gen EeePC? If yes, then give the ath5k driver from
> 2.6.27 a try, as it should support the wireless chips in those Eee PCs
> afaik.

Nope, a eeePC 901 with the rt2680 card (I think its that one - some
realtek 11n card anyway).

Peter

Old 10-15-2008, 03:06 PM
"Peter Robinson"

>>> Nope, a eeePC 901 with the rt2680 card (I think its that one - some
>>> realtek 11n card anyway).
>>
>> Follow
>> http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/8/5/519
>
> Heck, why? Those drivers that Linus refers to are the ones that are provided
> by RPM Fusion ;-) And the proper driver that hopefully gets merged into the
> kernel sooner or later is still far from ready afaics:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/19813/focus=21177

The problem is that I believe they are focusing primarily on the 2870
usb version first with plans for the PCI one later so to have a kmod
in rpmfusion in the mean time would be useful.

Peter

Old 10-15-2008, 04:03 PM
Kevin Kofler

Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora <at> nicubunu.ro> writes:
> Well, I rebuilt the src.rpm from rpmfusion for the latest rawhide, it is
> able so see APs, can connect to the unencrypted ones but seems to fail
> for WPA-PSK.

If it's like the previous drivers released by Ralink (the old rt2400, rt2500
and rt2570 legacy drivers), you have to use special iwpriv commands to use WPA,
it doesn't support wpa_supplicant (and thus NetworkManager) for WPA.

Kevin Kofler

Old 10-15-2008, 04:25 PM
"Peter Robinson"

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 5:03 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@chello.at> wrote:
> Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora <at> nicubunu.ro> writes:
>> Well, I rebuilt the src.rpm from rpmfusion for the latest rawhide, it is
>> able so see APs, can connect to the unencrypted ones but seems to fail
>> for WPA-PSK.
>
> If it's like the previous drivers released by Ralink (the old rt2400, rt2500
> and rt2570 legacy drivers), you have to use special iwpriv commands to use WPA,
> it doesn't support wpa_supplicant (and thus NetworkManager) for WPA.

I read some where this one has to be compiled with different options
depending on whether you want WEP or WPA (lovely!!) but then I've also
seen a 1.8.0 release which may well fix the issue with the WPA.
Release notes here mentioned here.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/linux/+bug/210725/comments/62

Peter