Old 09-03-2008, 03:19 AM
Huzaifa Sidhpurwala

Default Fedora Security Tools spin

Old 09-03-2008, 03:56 AM
Todd Zullinger

Huzaifa Sidhpurwala wrote:
> I just came across a knoppix security tool live CD and thought it
> would be a good idea for a security tool fedora spin too.
> The tools are freely available at:
>
> http://knoppix-std.org/index.html
> and are all GPLed?
>
> Do you guys think this is a good idea, I am sure such a spin does
> not exists in Fedora yet.

Do you mean something like Luke Macken put together?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LukeMacken/SecurityLiveCD

Old 09-03-2008, 05:24 AM
Huzaifa Sidhpurwala

Old 09-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Luke Macken

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 10:54:37AM +0530, Huzaifa Sidhpurwala wrote:

> Todd Zullinger wrote:
> > Huzaifa Sidhpurwala wrote:
> >> I just came across a knoppix security tool live CD and thought it
> >> would be a good idea for a security tool fedora spin too.
> >> The tools are freely available at:
> >>
> >> http://knoppix-std.org/index.html
> >> and are all GPLed?
> >>
> >> Do you guys think this is a good idea, I am sure such a spin does
> >> not exists in Fedora yet.
> >
> > Do you mean something like Luke Macken put together?
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LukeMacken/SecurityLiveCD
> >

> Yeah but more tools and more bare bones,
> Perhaps i can assist Luke in this?

Absolutely!

I'm in the process of rebasing the kickstart against the latest livecd
base, and I will be pushing it through the New Spin Process soon.

More tools? Yes. I want it to ship with every security tool in Fedora.
If you know of any that are missing from the list, please let me know.

More bare bones? The current livecd is based off of the minimal
kickstart configuration, and uses openbox as opposed to GNOME. If you
have any suggestions for making it more "bare bones", let me know.

luke

Old 09-04-2008, 10:52 PM
Adrian Pilchowiec

On Wednesday 03 of September 2008 23:00:44 Luke Macken wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 10:54:37AM +0530, Huzaifa Sidhpurwala wrote:
> >
> > Todd Zullinger wrote:

> > > Do you mean something like Luke Macken put together?
> > >
> > > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LukeMacken/SecurityLiveCD
> >
> > Yeah but more tools and more bare bones,
> > Perhaps i can assist Luke in this?
>
> Absolutely!
>
> I'm in the process of rebasing the kickstart against the latest livecd
> base, and I will be pushing it through the New Spin Process soon.
>
> More tools? Yes. I want it to ship with every security tool in Fedora.
> If you know of any that are missing from the list, please let me know.

Maybe it would be good to add OpenVAS [1] (free fork of nessus) to the spin ?

[1] http://www.openvas.org/

Old 09-05-2008, 12:23 AM
Luke Macken

On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 12:52:49AM +0200, Adrian Pilchowiec wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 of September 2008 23:00:44 Luke Macken wrote:

> > > Yeah but more tools and more bare bones,
> > > Perhaps i can assist Luke in this?
> >
> > Absolutely!
> >
> > I'm in the process of rebasing the kickstart against the latest livecd
> > base, and I will be pushing it through the New Spin Process soon.
> >
> > More tools? Yes. I want it to ship with every security tool in Fedora.
> > If you know of any that are missing from the list, please let me know.
> >

> Maybe it would be good to add OpenVAS [1] (free fork of nessus) to the spin ?

I added OpenVAS to the WishList, thanks!

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SecuritySpin#Wishlist

luke

Old 09-18-2008, 03:04 PM
"Adrian P"

2008/9/5 Luke Macken <lmacken@redhat.com>

On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 12:52:49AM +0200, Adrian Pilchowiec wrote:

> On Wednesday 03 of September 2008 23:00:44 Luke Macken wrote:

> > > Yeah but more tools and more bare bones,

> > > Perhaps i can assist Luke in this?

> > Absolutely!

> > I'm in the process of rebasing the kickstart against the latest livecd

> > base, and I will be pushing it through the New Spin Process soon.

> > More tools? *Yes. *I want it to ship with every security tool in Fedora.

> > If you know of any that are missing from the list, please let me know.

> Maybe it would be good to add OpenVAS [1] (free fork of nessus) to the spin ?

I added OpenVAS to the WishList, thanks!

* *https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SecuritySpin#Wishlist

luke

Got few other tools to propose:

Lynis [1] - Security and system auditing tool

Nebula [2] Intrusion signature generator

Unhide [3] tool for searching hidden processes

SARA [4] Security Auditor's Research Assistant

SiLK [5] Security analysis tool for network developed by CERT

ArpON [6] Detects and blocks all ARP poisoning/spoofing attacks.

Bh (Beholder) [7] IDS for wireless networks.

Distack [8] Framework for attack detection which allows for an integration of various detection methods as lightweight modules.

Ttyrpld [9] Multi-os kernel-level tty logger

A lot of useful tools for this spin can be also found on Packetstorm [10] web page.

It would be also great if there would be snort + mysql (or whatever db)
+ base (or acid, or whatever analysis tool for snort) integrated by
default.

[1] http://www.rootkit.nl/projects/lynis.html

[2] http://nebula.mwcollect.org/

[3] http://www.security-projects.com/?Unhide

[4] http://www-arc.com/sara/

[5] http://tools.netsa.cert.org/silk/

[6] http://arpon.sourceforge.net/

[7] http://www.beholderwireless.org/

[8] https://i72projekte.tm.uka.de/trac/Distack

[9] http://ttyrpld.sourceforge.net/

[10] http://packetstorm.linuxsecurity.com/defense/unix/

Old 10-30-2008, 05:19 AM
Luke Macken

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 05:04:22PM +0200, Adrian P wrote:
> 2008/9/5 Luke Macken <lmacken@redhat.com>

> > Fedora.
> > > >

> > > Maybe it would be good to add OpenVAS [1] (free fork of nessus) to the
> > spin ?
> >
> > I added OpenVAS to the WishList, thanks!
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SecuritySpin#Wishlist
> >
> > luke
> >
> > --
> >

> Got few other tools to propose:
> Lynis [1] - Security and system auditing tool
> Nebula [2] Intrusion signature generator
> Unhide [3] tool for searching hidden processes
> SARA [4] Security Auditor's Research Assistant
> SiLK [5] Security analysis tool for network developed by CERT
> ArpON [6] Detects and blocks all ARP poisoning/spoofing attacks.
> Bh (Beholder) [7] IDS for wireless networks.
> Distack [8] Framework for attack detection which allows for an integration
> of various detection methods as lightweight modules.
> Ttyrpld [9] Multi-os kernel-level tty logger

Added to the wishlist. Thanks!

luke