Old 09-01-2008, 07:29 AM
"Balbir Singh"

Default CONFIG_CGROUP_MEM_RES_CTLR

While trying to build the memory resource controller with the latest
kernel source, I saw the following in config-generic

#NOTE: Before changing the size below, take notice that page struct
will grow past a cacheline on 32 bit.

I am running F10-alpha 32 bit version, on which I see

Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.27-0.166.rc0.git8.fc10.i686 #1 SMP Mon
Jul 21 20:51:26 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

sizeof(vma)=84 bytes
sizeof(page)=56 bytes
sizeof(inode)=608 bytes
sizeof(dentry)=160 bytes
sizeof(ext3inode)=860 bytes
sizeof(buffer_head)=56 bytes
sizeof(skbuff)=184 bytes
sizeof(task_struct)=6056 bytes

With size at 56 bytes, I don't think adding 4 bytes will affect the
growth beyond cacheline size.

I suspect that there are a few debugging options turned on, that are
causing either spinlock_t to bloat or something that CONFIG_PAGE_OWNER
is turned on. Are these debugging options going to go away as we head
towards F10 release?

Balbir

Old 09-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Dave Jones

On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 12:59:28PM +0530, Balbir Singh wrote:
> While trying to build the memory resource controller with the latest
> kernel source, I saw the following in config-generic
>
> #NOTE: Before changing the size below, take notice that page struct
> will grow past a cacheline on 32 bit.
>
> I am running F10-alpha 32 bit version, on which I see
>
> Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.27-0.166.rc0.git8.fc10.i686 #1 SMP Mon
> Jul 21 20:51:26 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> sizeof(vma)=84 bytes
> sizeof(page)=56 bytes
> sizeof(inode)=608 bytes
> sizeof(dentry)=160 bytes
> sizeof(ext3inode)=860 bytes
> sizeof(buffer_head)=56 bytes
> sizeof(skbuff)=184 bytes
> sizeof(task_struct)=6056 bytes
>
> With size at 56 bytes, I don't think adding 4 bytes will affect the
> growth beyond cacheline size.

Yes, but that's with debug options on. With debug options off,
on 32bit we're currently at exactly a 32 byte cacheline, so adding
a member for CGROUP will push us past 1 cacheline.

> I suspect that there are a few debugging options turned on, that are
> causing either spinlock_t to bloat or something that CONFIG_PAGE_OWNER
> is turned on. Are these debugging options going to go away as we head
> towards F10 release?

Yes.

Dave

--