Old 08-31-2008, 11:46 PM
"Peter Robinson"

Default using yum/repoquery to provide dependency trees

Hi All,

I just installed rawhide (F10 Alpha LiveCD + yum update) into a
virtual machine to play around with what I could get into a 4GB
location like you'd get on a some of the netbooks out there to see
what sort of milage you'd get. Doing a standard install by booting the
LiveCD, selecting the install to hard disk icon and then selecting all
the the defaults it installed in an lvm vol of around 2.3 gig with the
remaining going to swap. It installed but basically I then had space
issues when trying to do a 'yum update'... interesting!

Anyway I'm wondering if there's a way to some dep tree style bits with
packages that are installed to see what causes the dependencies of
what is actually installed. EG if I do a 'yum remove perl' it
basically wants to uninstall gnome and a lot more but it would be nice
to be able to see exactly what installed packages depend on perl or
perl-Pop-Simple for example.

Peter

Old 09-01-2008, 05:30 AM
James Antill

On Mon, 2008-09-01 at 00:46 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:

> Anyway I'm wondering if there's a way to some dep tree style bits with
> packages that are installed to see what causes the dependencies of
> what is actually installed. EG if I do a 'yum remove perl' it
> basically wants to uninstall gnome and a lot more but it would be nice
> to be able to see exactly what installed packages depend on perl or
> perl-Pop-Simple for example.

There are a couple of things I think you might find useful (off the top
of my head):

repoquery --alldeps --whatrequires <dep>
package-cleanup --leaves
pkg-deps-tree-view.py --limit-installed <pkg> (or *, for everything)

...the later¹ is probably closest to what you want, I think, as it will
spit out deps. into a tree like format and then you can browse it.

¹ http://fedorapeople.org/~james/yum/commands/pkg-deps-tree-view.py

--
James Antill <jantill@redhat.com>
Red Hat

Old 09-01-2008, 10:47 AM
"Peter Robinson"

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 6:30 AM, James Antill <jantill@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-09-01 at 00:46 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
>
>> Anyway I'm wondering if there's a way to some dep tree style bits with
>> packages that are installed to see what causes the dependencies of
>> what is actually installed. EG if I do a 'yum remove perl' it
>> basically wants to uninstall gnome and a lot more but it would be nice
>> to be able to see exactly what installed packages depend on perl or
>> perl-Pop-Simple for example.
>
> There are a couple of things I think you might find useful (off the top
> of my head):
>
> repoquery --alldeps --whatrequires <dep>
> package-cleanup --leaves
> pkg-deps-tree-view.py --limit-installed <pkg> (or *, for everything)
>
> ...the later¹ is probably closest to what you want, I think, as it will
> spit out deps. into a tree like format and then you can browse it.

Thanks James that looks like its exactly what I want.

Cheers,
Peter

Old 09-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Miroslav Lichvar

On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 12:46:15AM +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> Anyway I'm wondering if there's a way to some dep tree style bits with
> packages that are installed to see what causes the dependencies of
> what is actually installed. EG if I do a 'yum remove perl' it
> basically wants to uninstall gnome and a lot more but it would be nice
> to be able to see exactly what installed packages depend on perl or
> perl-Pop-Simple for example.

You may also want to try rpmreaper. It's an interactive tool designed
for browsing dependencies and removing packages.

--
Miroslav Lichvar