Old 08-31-2008, 11:57 AM
Johan Cwiklinski

Default wirteable config files path

Hello,

I'm the maintainer of BackupPC, a backup software written in perl.

I have some SELinux issues actually, and need your advices to create the
relevant package.

BackupPC provides a web interface that needs write access to its config
files (actually located under /etc/BackupPC). Problem is that /etc
should not be writeable.

So my question is : where should I place those config files ? Config
files should be located under /etc, but /etc should be readonly.
/var/lib/backuppc would be a good idea, but it's not relevant for config
files.
Solutions I see :
1- keep config files under /etc, and make them writeable from apache,
2- simply move config files to /var/lib/backuppc
3- move config files to /var/lib/backuppc, and then create a symlink to
this path in /etc

What would you advice ?

Regards,
Johan

Old 09-01-2008, 09:06 AM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams

On Sun, 2008-08-31 at 13:57 +0200, Johan Cwiklinski wrote:
> BackupPC provides a web interface that needs write access to its config
> files (actually located under /etc/BackupPC).

Are they then actually config files, or are they state files?

Old 09-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Johan Cwiklinski

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams a écrit :
> On Sun, 2008-08-31 at 13:57 +0200, Johan Cwiklinski wrote:
>
>> BackupPC provides a web interface that needs write access to its config
>> files (actually located under /etc/BackupPC).
>>

> Are they then actually config files, or are they state files?

I'll say the're config files ; but I'm not sur to understand what you
mean by state files...

There are several files :
- hosts : lists hosts/ips/users to backup
- config.pl : main BackupPC configuration file (what to backup, when to
do it, which method should be used, etc...)
- pc/*.pl : config files per hosts. These one pêrmit to ovverride some
of confi.pl directives (what, when, method and do on).

Hope this will be a little more clear.

Regards,
Johan