Old 08-31-2008, 01:52 AM
Michael Fleming

Default License Change: python-GeoIP is now LGPL

Folks,

The license for python-GeoIP has been changed to LGPL from GPLv2 in
1.2.2 (which I've just built for rawhide)

As far as I'm aware there's nothing in the repositories that requires
it, however I'm aware that there's a couple of projects using it (mirror
management comes to mind). Let me know if there's an issue with this
that I'm not aware of :-)

Michael.

--
Michael Fleming <mfleming@thatfleminggent.com>
URI: http://www.thatfleminggent.com

Old 08-31-2008, 02:43 AM
Matt Domsch

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 11:52:59AM +1000, Michael Fleming wrote:

> Folks,
>
> The license for python-GeoIP has been changed to LGPL from GPLv2 in
> 1.2.2 (which I've just built for rawhide)
>
> As far as I'm aware there's nothing in the repositories that requires
> it, however I'm aware that there's a couple of projects using it (mirror
> management comes to mind). Let me know if there's an issue with this
> that I'm not aware of :-)

MirrorManager is happy with this change, in fact, I requested MaxMind
to relicense it exactly so MirrorManager could make use of it.

Thanks for fixing up the package.
-Matt

--
Matt Domsch
linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux

Old 08-31-2008, 04:06 AM
"Michel Salim"

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 9:52 PM, Michael Fleming
<mfleming@enlartenment.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> The license for python-GeoIP has been changed to LGPL from GPLv2 in
> 1.2.2 (which I've just built for rawhide)
>
> As far as I'm aware there's nothing in the repositories that requires
> it, however I'm aware that there's a couple of projects using it (mirror
> management comes to mind). Let me know if there's an issue with this
> that I'm not aware of :-)

No issue with switching to a more liberal license, of course. But LGPL
is not an approved shorthand for a license; in this case you want
LGPLv2.

Michel Salim
http://hircus.jaiku.com/