Old 08-29-2008, 11:39 PM
Paul

Default Alsa problem

Hi,

I'm trying to track down a problem which seems to be Alsa related. I
have a really small C# test piece which just plays a wav file via
System.Media.PlaySound. Code compiles and it works under Win32. Under
rawhide, nada sound at all.

When I run alsamixergui, it looks like alsa is trying to use pulseaudio
rather than my Audigy card and there is no way to change this via
alsamixergui.

I've noticed similar problems with alsa when using mplayer. Is there a
way to get alsa to use my Audigy card correctly?

TTFN

Paul

Old 08-30-2008, 01:54 AM
"Michel Salim"

2008/8/29 Paul <paul@all-the-johnsons.co.uk>:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to track down a problem which seems to be Alsa related. I
> have a really small C# test piece which just plays a wav file via
> System.Media.PlaySound. Code compiles and it works under Win32. Under
> rawhide, nada sound at all.
>
> When I run alsamixergui, it looks like alsa is trying to use pulseaudio
> rather than my Audigy card and there is no way to change this via
> alsamixergui.
>
> I've noticed similar problems with alsa when using mplayer. Is there a
> way to get alsa to use my Audigy card correctly?

Put a custom ~/.asoundrc that overrides the settings in
/etc/alsa/pulse-default.conf . Why should the test code not work with
pulseaudio, though? It should be transparent to ALSA applications
(there are some compatibility issues due to the unexpected way some
applications use ALSA, so if this is one of those cases, you might
want to file a bug against pulseaudio)

Michel Salim
http://hircus.jaiku.com/

Old 12-13-2008, 10:00 PM
Alex Samad

Hi

I am having problems with my alsa setup, I have an Audigy 2 Value
[SB0400].

when I try playing via iec958

aplay dummy.wav -D iec958 -v

everything plays okay, says its playing via hw 0,0,0

But when I try

aplay dummy.wav -D hw:0,0,0 -v

I don't get any sound

I am testing this so I can get dmix working so I can share the pcm

alex

--
The way to a man's heart is through the left ventricle.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:56 AM
Emanoil Kotsev

Alex Samad wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am having problems with my alsa setup, I have an Audigy 2 Value
> [SB0400].
>
> when I try playing via iec958
>
> aplay dummy.wav -D iec958 -v
>
> everything plays okay, says its playing via hw 0,0,0
>
> But when I try
>
> aplay dummy.wav -D hw:0,0,0 -v
>
> I don't get any sound
>
> I am testing this so I can get dmix working so I can share the pcm
>
> alex

try the alsa howto, there are planty examples there. I never used iec958.
This is the digital device, right?
I writing here, because I was asking myself all the time what I can use it
for (I mean the digital in/out). Or is it optical? OR I miss something.

regards

Old 12-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Alex Samad

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 10:56:21AM +0100, Emanoil Kotsev wrote:
> Alex Samad wrote:
>
> > Hi

[snip]

> > I am testing this so I can get dmix working so I can share the pcm
> >
> > alex
> >

> try the alsa howto, there are planty examples there. I never used iec958.
> This is the digital device, right?
> I writing here, because I was asking myself all the time what I can use it
> for (I mean the digital in/out). Or is it optical? OR I miss something.

yeah had a look at it, something strange going on with the audigy2. been
able to do this before. More trying/testing.

yeah the iec958 is the coax/optical digital out. This is how I can push
out surround sound.