Old 08-29-2008, 01:48 AM
"Martin Langhoff"

Default ifup-local $DEVNAME versus ifup-pre-local $CONFIGFILE

A curio I found working my way through the ifup execution traces is
that while ifup-local is called with the device name (eth0),
ifup-pre-local is called with the config file name (ifcfg-eth0).

Not the end of the world, but as these hooks aren't documented (that I
could find at least) and google has few hits for them,I thought it was
worth a mention.

cheers,

martin.langhoff@gmail.com
martin@laptop.org -- School Server Architect
- ask interesting questions

Old 08-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Bill Nottingham

Martin Langhoff (martin.langhoff@gmail.com) said:
> A curio I found working my way through the ifup execution traces is
> that while ifup-local is called with the device name (eth0),
> ifup-pre-local is called with the config file name (ifcfg-eth0).
>
> Not the end of the world, but as these hooks aren't documented (that I
> could find at least) and google has few hits for them,I thought it was
> worth a mention.

It's actually consistent with the main scripts, if confusing - ifup-pre-local
is called with the config (as ifup is), while ifup-local is called with the
device (as ifup-post is).

Bill