Old 08-28-2008, 04:26 AM
"Martin Langhoff"

Default Debugging network scripts (from udev and explicit ifup invocation)

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 4:08 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to get the network script invocations to get logged
> somewhere? Something like /etc/sysconfig/network supporting
> DEBUGLOGGING=YesPlease -

Hack du jour: I've changed /etc/udev/rules.d/60-net.rules to invoke
net.hotplug.debugger which calls bash -x net.hotplug and redirects
stdin/stdout to a logfile.

There is probably something more elegant, but I'll get by with this for now :-)

martin.langhoff@gmail.com
martin@laptop.org -- School Server Architect
- ask interesting questions

Old 08-28-2008, 12:58 PM
Bill Nottingham

Martin Langhoff (martin.langhoff@gmail.com) said:
> Is there a way to get the network script invocations to get logged
> somewhere? Something like /etc/sysconfig/network supporting
> DEBUGLOGGING=YesPlease -

Not really.

> Using bash -x from the cli helps somewhat, though some things only
> misbehave under udev. Or under udev on initial boot. So a global
> logging knob would help... if it exists! Any tricks or nasty hacks
> welcome too.

Are you using /etc/init.d/network as well? The hotplug bits explicitly
check that network is already 'running' before doing anything, as we
don't want to bring up interfaces in the middle of rc.sysinit.

Bill

Old 08-28-2008, 08:38 PM
"Martin Langhoff"

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 12:58 AM, Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com> wrote:
> Are you using /etc/init.d/network as well? The hotplug bits explicitly
> check that network is already 'running' before doing anything, as we
> don't want to bring up interfaces in the middle of rc.sysinit.

Yes, that was one of the problems I hit. I had accidentally left the
'network' service down, even though interfaces were up. Using a bash
-x ifup wrapper helped me find that part of the problem at least.

thanks!

martin