Old 08-27-2008, 02:51 AM
"Martin Langhoff"

Default Why does PackageKit depend on NetworkManager?

Is there anything preventing PK from connecting to the network over
non-NM-controlled network interfaces?

(I am not using PackageKit facilities, just surprised at the dependencies...)

cheers,

martin.langhoff@gmail.com
martin@laptop.org -- School Server Architect
- ask interesting questions

Old 08-27-2008, 03:00 AM
Jeremy Katz

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 14:51 +1200, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> Is there anything preventing PK from connecting to the network over
> non-NM-controlled network interfaces?
>
> (I am not using PackageKit facilities, just surprised at the dependencies...)

It depends on NetworkManager-glib, not NetworkManager. And it does so
to check the status of the network connection before checking for
updates. I believe that if NetworkManager doesn't respond (because
you're bringing up your network some other way), it will continue on as
though the connection is said to be up by NM.

Jeremy

Old 08-27-2008, 03:03 AM
Rahul Sundaram

Martin Langhoff wrote:

Is there anything preventing PK from connecting to the network over
non-NM-controlled network interfaces?

(I am not using PackageKit facilities, just surprised at the dependencies...)

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageKitFaq

Rahul

Old 08-27-2008, 03:11 AM
"Martin Langhoff"

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 3:03 PM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageKitFaq

Ah, thanks! Known issue then. Cheers!

Old 08-27-2008, 03:36 AM
Dan Williams

On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 23:00 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 14:51 +1200, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> > Is there anything preventing PK from connecting to the network over
> > non-NM-controlled network interfaces?
> >
> > (I am not using PackageKit facilities, just surprised at the dependencies...)
>
> It depends on NetworkManager-glib, not NetworkManager. And it does so
> to check the status of the network connection before checking for
> updates. I believe that if NetworkManager doesn't respond (because
> you're bringing up your network some other way), it will continue on as
> though the connection is said to be up by NM.

Right, that's the way it should work. If talking to NM fails, the app
should either (a) assume a connection, or (b) could be more intelligent
by asking SIOCGIFCONF/netlink for interfaces, and if at least one
interface is IFF_UP | IFF_RUNNING and has an IP address, then try.

But only by using NM can PK really do things like "don't update while on
3G" and such which would be quite a bit more difficult without NM.

Dan

Old 08-27-2008, 03:39 AM
Dan Williams

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 14:51 +1200, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> Is there anything preventing PK from connecting to the network over
> non-NM-controlled network interfaces?
>
> (I am not using PackageKit facilities, just surprised at the dependencies...)

Should only depend on NetworkManager-glib, which itself should not pull
in NetworkManager in the future. The only possible fixes for #351101
(removing NetworkManager-glib removes half the desktop) broke multilib
setups (#451519) and thus we have to do anaconda magic for F10 before
you can 'rpm -e NetworkManager' and have everything work like you
probably want it.

Dan

Old 08-27-2008, 07:54 AM
Richard Hughes

On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 23:36 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> Right, that's the way it should work. If talking to NM fails, the app
> should either (a) assume a connection, or (b) could be more
> intelligent
> by asking SIOCGIFCONF/netlink for interfaces, and if at least one
> interface is IFF_UP | IFF_RUNNING and has an IP address, then try.

Yes, we do have a metric for the NM isn't present case.

> But only by using NM can PK really do things like "don't update while
> on 3G" and such which would be quite a bit more difficult without NM.

Exactly. To do all the fancy stuff, there's no way we can infer al the
extra information without NM.

Richard.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:18 AM
"Daniel P. Berrange"

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 11:00:40PM -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 14:51 +1200, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> > Is there anything preventing PK from connecting to the network over
> > non-NM-controlled network interfaces?
> >
> > (I am not using PackageKit facilities, just surprised at the dependencies...)
>
> It depends on NetworkManager-glib, not NetworkManager. And it does so
> to check the status of the network connection before checking for
> updates. I believe that if NetworkManager doesn't respond (because
> you're bringing up your network some other way), it will continue on as
> though the connection is said to be up by NM.

Yes, latest PackageKit will correctly operate if NetworkManager is not
running. For F9 you might still need to get packages from -updates-testing

Daniel