Old 08-25-2008, 05:27 PM
Mike Chambers

Default Intrusion/server status

OK, it's been over a week, and we've been told what happened and that
the servers/machines are being reinstalled and such. Soo, what is
happening now? Is everything back up yet? If not, what is left to do?
When are updates and things going to start getting pushed out for the
official releases? When does F10 testing/freezing/developing start
again and rawhide updates start getting pushed out?

Not trying to blame anyone for taking time to get things done, just
trying to get at status for folks to hear bout and know how it's going
up to this point.

--
Mike Chambers
mikec302@fedoraproject.org

Old 08-25-2008, 05:45 PM
"Rakesh Pandit"

2008/8/25 Mike Chambers <mike@miketc.net>:
> OK, it's been over a week, and we've been told what happened and that
> the servers/machines are being reinstalled and such. Soo, what is
> happening now? Is everything back up yet? If not, what is left to do?
> When are updates and things going to start getting pushed out for the
> official releases? When does F10 testing/freezing/developing start
> again and rawhide updates start getting pushed out?
>
> Not trying to blame anyone for taking time to get things done, just
> trying to get at status for folks to hear bout and know how it's going
> up to this point.

Most of things (as good as I know) are up and running now. Fedora
announce list had
an announcement on 22nd. There have been some posts in here also
linking to that
announcement.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2008-August/msg00012.html

Cheers all those folks who put in efforts to restore everything. ;-)

--
Thanks,
Rakesh Pandit

Old 08-25-2008, 09:10 PM
nodata

Am Montag, den 25.08.2008, 12:27 -0500 schrieb Mike Chambers:
> OK, it's been over a week, and we've been told what happened and that
> the servers/machines are being reinstalled and such. Soo, what is
> happening now? Is everything back up yet? If not, what is left to do?
> When are updates and things going to start getting pushed out for the
> official releases? When does F10 testing/freezing/developing start
> again and rawhide updates start getting pushed out?
>
> Not trying to blame anyone for taking time to get things done, just
> trying to get at status for folks to hear bout and know how it's going
> up to this point.

The Red Hat docs stress communication as important.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:26 PM
"Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski"

On Monday, 25 August 2008 at 23:10, nodata wrote:
> Am Montag, den 25.08.2008, 12:27 -0500 schrieb Mike Chambers:
> > OK, it's been over a week, and we've been told what happened and that
> > the servers/machines are being reinstalled and such. Soo, what is
> > happening now? Is everything back up yet? If not, what is left to do?
> > When are updates and things going to start getting pushed out for the
> > official releases? When does F10 testing/freezing/developing start
> > again and rawhide updates start getting pushed out?
> >
> > Not trying to blame anyone for taking time to get things done, just
> > trying to get at status for folks to hear bout and know how it's going
> > up to this point.
> >

> The Red Hat docs stress communication as important.

There's some speculation on fedora-advisory-board that might explain
the information blackout, so please don't jump to conclusions until
you really know what happened.

Regards,
R.

Livna http://rpm.livna.org | MPlayer http://mplayerhq.hu
"Faith manages."

Old 08-25-2008, 09:38 PM
nodata

Am Montag, den 25.08.2008, 23:26 +0200 schrieb Dominik 'Rathann'
Mierzejewski:
> On Monday, 25 August 2008 at 23:10, nodata wrote:
> > Am Montag, den 25.08.2008, 12:27 -0500 schrieb Mike Chambers:
> > > OK, it's been over a week, and we've been told what happened and that
> > > the servers/machines are being reinstalled and such. Soo, what is
> > > happening now? Is everything back up yet? If not, what is left to do?
> > > When are updates and things going to start getting pushed out for the
> > > official releases? When does F10 testing/freezing/developing start
> > > again and rawhide updates start getting pushed out?
> > >
> > > Not trying to blame anyone for taking time to get things done, just
> > > trying to get at status for folks to hear bout and know how it's going
> > > up to this point.
> > >

> > The Red Hat docs stress communication as important.
>
> There's some speculation on fedora-advisory-board that might explain
> the information blackout, so please don't jump to conclusions until
> you really know what happened.

I'm not jumping to conclusions, I'm saying there is a lack of
communication. I said nothing else.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:24 AM
Chris Adams

Once upon a time, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik@greysector.net> said:
> On Monday, 25 August 2008 at 23:10, nodata wrote:
> > The Red Hat docs stress communication as important.
>
> There's some speculation on fedora-advisory-board that might explain
> the information blackout, so please don't jump to conclusions until
> you really know what happened.

Well, there has been a lack of communication about this whole thing.
Was it a case of someone having access that shouldn't, was there a
security breach (in which case are my servers vulnerable), etc.?

Is something still going on? I tried to see if the above list has
public archives, but now Red Hat's website is apparently off-line
(placeholder page) and Bugzilla is refusing connections.

Nobody likes having bad things to say, but in the absence of
information, rumors and speculation fill the gap (which is not good).
--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>

Old 08-26-2008, 10:04 AM
Michael Schwendt

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 19:24:23 -0500, Chris Adams wrote:

> Well, there has been a lack of communication about this whole thing.
> Was it a case of someone having access that shouldn't, was there a
> security breach (in which case are my servers vulnerable), etc.?

Would it make sense to reinstall servers and take them online if they are
still vulnerable through public network services? Have you seen any
critical security advisories for RHEL (other than RHSA-2008-0855), for
example? I could speculate about several ways to gain illegal network
access to servers (and the reasons it was possible), but I spare myself
the typing and the creation of rumours.

> Nobody likes having bad things to say, but in the absence of
> information, rumors and speculation fill the gap (which is not good).

Right.