Old 08-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Mogens Kjaer

Default upcoming varnish-2.0, or running a test suite that starts and connects to a daemon

Ingvar Hagelund wrote:
>> So is the build system using an already installed libvarnish.so.0
>> if one is available and not the newly built libvarnish.so.0?
>
> Yes, that is correct, and that would be a bug in the upstream source.
> I'll ask them to fix it. To work around, build and install varnish-libs
> first.

Well, if I run configure;make;make check in the
unpacked tarball I don't see this problem.

All 72 tests pass (x86_64 system).

No varnish-libs installed.

So something is different in the rpmbuild environment,
maybe this is the reason why 64 of the 72 tests fail
(after adding LD_LIBRARY_PATH)?

Mogens

Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
Email: mk@crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk

Old 08-22-2008, 12:51 PM
Ingvar Hagelund

Ingvar Hagelund skrev:
> * Mogens Kjaer
>> If I remove the comment on %{__make} check and build varnish,
>> it doesn't run any checks at all. It just complains about a missing
>> libvarnish.so.0:

>> error while loading shared libraries: libvarnish.so.0: cannot open
>> shared object file: No such file or directory
>> FAIL: ./tests/a00000.vtc
>>
>> So is the build system using an already installed libvarnish.so.0
>> if one is available and not the newly built libvarnish.so.0?

* Jason L Tibbitts III
> Usually you play with LD_LIBRARY_PATH in your specfile to reference
> the just-built library.

Thanks, Jason. To make it run the test suite from within rpmbuild, try

%{__make} check
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="../../lib/libvarnish/.libs:../../lib/libvarnishcompat/.libs:../../lib/libvarnishapi/.libs:../../lib/libvcl/.libs"

The specfile is updated.

This is not necessary when ran the tests from an interactive shell. It
also appears that when test run within rpmbuild, and with libs from
within the build, varnishd won't start, (or at least won't answer any
ports) at all. That's different from when running test within rpmbuild,
but using libs from the system.

Ingvar

Old 08-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Ingvar Hagelund

>> * Mogens Kjaer
>>> If I remove the comment on %{__make} check and build varnish,
>>> it doesn't run any checks at all. It just complains about a missing
>>> libvarnish.so.0:
>>> So is the build system using an already installed libvarnish.so.0
>>> if one is available and not the newly built libvarnish.so.0?

The so version number should be bumped, as the old version of the
libraries are incompatible with the pre-2.0 source, and this kind of
problems would be discovered a bit earlier. I filed a bug for varnish
2.0 upstream.

http://varnish.projects.linpro.no/ticket/293

Ingvar