Old 08-21-2008, 12:43 AM
"Jeffrey Ollie"

Default Zabbix 1.5.4 RPMs

I've built some RPMs for Zabbix 1.5.4. The major changes:

* There's a new component - the proxy.
* Server and proxy binaries are built for all three databases that
Zabbix supports (MySQL, PostgreSQL, and SQLite3). You choose between
databases by installing the appropriate subpackage. Unless you force
and install it shouldn't be possible to install more than one at a
time.
* The 'zabbix' RPM does not contain the server, instead it contains
bits that are common to all of the packages.
* There should be conflicts and obsoletes that are set to get
everything working on a upgrade, but that's not tested.
* The cpustats patch has been disabled (but it's included in the SRPM)
because it causes the agent to segfault. I had to resolve some
conflicts to get it to apply cleanly to 1.5.4 and I must have messed
something up.

RPMs and SRPMs can be found here for EL-5 and development:

http://repo.ocjtech.us/zabbix/

A git repo with my work on the cpustats branch can be found in the
cpustats branch:

git://fedorapeople.org/~jcollie/zabbix.git

We're looking at using Zabbix 1.6 in Fedora Infrastructure so these
packages will get some thrashing but the more people that look it over
the better. Hopefully some smart person out there will figure out
what I've done to the cpustats patch and get it fixed up.

Jeff

Old 08-21-2008, 07:43 AM
"Pavel Shevchuk"

Why did fedora choose zabbix? How it is compared to nagios?

http://scwlab.com

Old 08-21-2008, 02:18 PM
Ray Van Dolson

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 10:43:22AM +0300, Pavel Shevchuk wrote:
> Why did fedora choose zabbix? How it is compared to nagios?

I'm not sure that it's been chosen *yet* but is still in a way going
through some evaluation. Although I'm guessing it will be picked. You
should check the fedora-infrastructure mailing list archives for
discussion.

I think nagios had some shortcomings, and there were a lot of people
who were familiar with and liked Zabbix vs the other alternatives. One
in particular, ZenOSS, is not suitable for packaging in Fedora
currently -- which is a prerequisite for any software package that
Infrastructure uses.

Ray