Old 08-20-2008, 06:57 PM
seth vidal

Default system autodeath

A friend forwarded me this blog:
http://www.gdt.id.au/~gdt/blog/linux/autodeath.1024px

and I wondered if it would be something to consider for fedora releases.

This would NOT be as a default, but as a package you can install, if you
wish, to drop the route on your box after whatever expiration date. We
can set the release date in a file in the package and key from there.

If the package was included in a fedora repo we could have it have a
death date of whenever the release started + 14months (some wiggle room
for release slips) for example.

Any thoughts?
-sv

--
I only speak for me.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:02 PM
"Jon Ciesla"

> A friend forwarded me this blog:
> http://www.gdt.id.au/~gdt/blog/linux/autodeath.1024px
>
> and I wondered if it would be something to consider for fedora releases.
>
> This would NOT be as a default, but as a package you can install, if you
> wish, to drop the route on your box after whatever expiration date. We
> can set the release date in a file in the package and key from there.

I agree that it should not be a default, but if you're not conscientious
enough to patch, you're not going to be installing this package, either,
and we're back to the original issue.

Other than that, it's an intriguing concept.

> If the package was included in a fedora repo we could have it have a
> death date of whenever the release started + 14months (some wiggle room
> for release slips) for example.
>
> Any thoughts?
> -sv
>

> --
> I only speak for me.

novus ordo absurdum

Old 08-20-2008, 07:09 PM
Jon Masters

On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 14:02 -0500, Jon Ciesla wrote:
> > A friend forwarded me this blog:
> > http://www.gdt.id.au/~gdt/blog/linux/autodeath.1024px
> >
> > and I wondered if it would be something to consider for fedora releases.
> >
> > This would NOT be as a default, but as a package you can install, if you
> > wish, to drop the route on your box after whatever expiration date. We
> > can set the release date in a file in the package and key from there.
>
> I agree that it should not be a default, but if you're not conscientious
> enough to patch, you're not going to be installing this package, either,
> and we're back to the original issue.
>
> Other than that, it's an intriguing concept.

I guess it is useful in the case that e.g. a sysadmin consciously wants
to remember to remove a system from production/upgrade it after a
certain time but then loses track or it, or whatever else. Not every
environment has centralized tracking and management of systems

Jon.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Rahul Sundaram

seth vidal wrote:

A friend forwarded me this blog:
http://www.gdt.id.au/~gdt/blog/linux/autodeath.1024px

and I wondered if it would be something to consider for fedora releases.

This would NOT be as a default, but as a package you can install, if you
wish, to drop the route on your box after whatever expiration date. We
can set the release date in a file in the package and key from there.

If the package was included in a fedora repo we could have it have a
death date of whenever the release started + 14months (some wiggle room
for release slips) for example.

Any thoughts?

I think it is much better to hookup preupgrade with PackageKit so you
get notification on your desktop when there is a new release and a easy
path to do so. Notifying and encouraging users to upgrade would solve
the problem of people sticking to old unmaintained releases in a much
nicer way.

Rahul

Old 08-20-2008, 07:16 PM
"Jon Ciesla"

> seth vidal wrote:
>> A friend forwarded me this blog:
>> http://www.gdt.id.au/~gdt/blog/linux/autodeath.1024px
>>
>> and I wondered if it would be something to consider for fedora releases.
>>
>> This would NOT be as a default, but as a package you can install, if you
>> wish, to drop the route on your box after whatever expiration date. We
>> can set the release date in a file in the package and key from there.
>>

>> If the package was included in a fedora repo we could have it have a
>> death date of whenever the release started + 14months (some wiggle room
>> for release slips) for example.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>
> I think it is much better to hookup preupgrade with PackageKit so you
> get notification on your desktop when there is a new release and a easy
> path to do so. Notifying and encouraging users to upgrade would solve
> the problem of people sticking to old unmaintained releases in a much
> nicer way.

+1 Sounds like a job for the LiveUpgrade SIG.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/LiveUpgrade

> Rahul

novus ordo absurdum

Old 08-20-2008, 07:33 PM
Matthew Miller

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 02:57:17PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> A friend forwarded me this blog:
> http://www.gdt.id.au/~gdt/blog/linux/autodeath.1024px
> and I wondered if it would be something to consider for fedora releases.

PLUS EIGHT MILLION.

--
Matthew Miller mattdm@mattdm.org <http://mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux ------> <http://linux.bu.edu/>

Old 08-20-2008, 07:35 PM
"Colin Walters"

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 3:16 PM, Jon Ciesla <limb@jcomserv.net> wrote:

> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/LiveUpgrade

No, LiveUpgrade is a different (and IMO, bad/difficult-to-support)
idea. PreUpgrade is here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Features/PreUpgrade

Old 08-20-2008, 07:52 PM
"Jon Ciesla"

> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 3:16 PM, Jon Ciesla <limb@jcomserv.net> wrote:
>>

>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/LiveUpgrade
>
> No, LiveUpgrade is a different (and IMO, bad/difficult-to-support)
> idea. PreUpgrade is here:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Features/PreUpgrade

I understand the distinction between the two, and the use cases differ. I
think notification of a new release would benefit both.

--
novus ordo absurdum

Old 08-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Dave Jones

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 12:43:18AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> seth vidal wrote:
> > A friend forwarded me this blog:
> > http://www.gdt.id.au/~gdt/blog/linux/autodeath.1024px
> >
> > and I wondered if it would be something to consider for fedora releases.
> >
> > This would NOT be as a default, but as a package you can install, if you
> > wish, to drop the route on your box after whatever expiration date. We
> > can set the release date in a file in the package and key from there.
> >

> > If the package was included in a fedora repo we could have it have a
> > death date of whenever the release started + 14months (some wiggle room
> > for release slips) for example.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
>
> I think it is much better to hookup preupgrade with PackageKit so you
> get notification on your desktop

Desktop machines typically aren't the problem in the 'setup once, and
left abandoned running out of date code past EOL' scenario.

Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk

Old 08-20-2008, 08:57 PM
"Stephen John Smoogen"

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 2:09 PM, Dave Jones <davej@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 12:43:18AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > seth vidal wrote:
> > > A friend forwarded me this blog:
> > > http://www.gdt.id.au/~gdt/blog/linux/autodeath.1024px
> > >
> > > and I wondered if it would be something to consider for fedora releases.
> > >
> > > This would NOT be as a default, but as a package you can install, if you
> > > wish, to drop the route on your box after whatever expiration date. We
> > > can set the release date in a file in the package and key from there.
> > >

> > > If the package was included in a fedora repo we could have it have a
> > > death date of whenever the release started + 14months (some wiggle room
> > > for release slips) for example.
> > >
> > > Any thoughts?
> >
> > I think it is much better to hookup preupgrade with PackageKit so you
> > get notification on your desktop
>
> Desktop machines typically aren't the problem in the 'setup once, and
> left abandoned running out of date code past EOL' scenario.

Oh I wouldn't be so sure.. We supposedly have over a hundred Windows
3.11 clients on our network.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux