Old 08-19-2008, 03:56 PM
"David A. Wheeler"

Default Xen Dom0 support getting dropped?

"Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones@redhat.com>
>That's not entirely true. You should look at this page to see what's going on:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XenPvopsDom0

I looked at that page, and that page's text seems pretty clear that
Xen dom0 _IS_ getting dropped. Perhaps the page is wrong? I'm concerned;
I have systems that _depend_ on Xen (specifically) running Dom0, on both
32-bit and 64-bit, and thus I already can't upgrade them to F9.

Here's what I read from that page. How can I read this text
in any way other than "users of Xen dom0 are doomed :-)" ?

=================================

Current status
* Targeted release: Unknown
Work on getting Dom0 support in the upstream kernel has pretty much stalled for the last number of months so this feature is postponed until work upstream restarts.

Fedora 10 will ship with Xen i686 and x86_64 DomU support enabled in the stock kernel - i.e. there is no more kernel-xen.
* Last updated: 2008-07-30
* Percentage of completion: 30%

i386 Dom0

* Not yet in rawhide kernel-xen
* Boots, though bare metal is now non-functional until hacks are cleaned up
* DMA (and thus real hardware drivers) working (if it doesn't straddle page boundaries)
* Core needs major cleanup
* Status at http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2008-02/msg00047.html
* http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2008-02/msg00242.html
* No backend drivers yet
* Conflicts with x86_64 DomU patches

x86_64 Dom0

* No active work yet....

Contingency Plan

If Dom0 support is still not ready for Fedora 10 GA, the options are:

* Continue to ship with only DomU support
* Drop Xen support altogether

--- David A. Wheeler

Old 08-19-2008, 04:11 PM
Josh Boyer

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 11:56 -0400, David A. Wheeler wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 12:49:53PM +0300, Ahmed Kamal wrote:
> > Too bad eh, my understanding is that Xen dom0 was totally dropped off F10,
> > and redhat is pushing KVM full steam.
>
> "Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones@redhat.com>
> >That's not entirely true. You should look at this page to see what's going on:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XenPvopsDom0
>
> I looked at that page, and that page's text seems pretty clear that
> Xen dom0 _IS_ getting dropped. Perhaps the page is wrong? I'm concerned;
> I have systems that _depend_ on Xen (specifically) running Dom0, on both
> 32-bit and 64-bit, and thus I already can't upgrade them to F9.
>
> Here's what I read from that page. How can I read this text
> in any way other than "users of Xen dom0 are doomed :-)" ?

There are other options for Xen Dom0. RHEL5, or Fedora 8. I don't know
if CentOS carries Xen, but it might.

josh

Old 08-19-2008, 04:18 PM
drago01

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 6:11 PM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 11:56 -0400, David A. Wheeler wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 12:49:53PM +0300, Ahmed Kamal wrote:
>> > Too bad eh, my understanding is that Xen dom0 was totally dropped off F10,
>> > and redhat is pushing KVM full steam.
>>
>> "Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones@redhat.com>
>> >That's not entirely true. You should look at this page to see what's going on:
>> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XenPvopsDom0
>>
>> I looked at that page, and that page's text seems pretty clear that
>> Xen dom0 _IS_ getting dropped. Perhaps the page is wrong? I'm concerned;
>> I have systems that _depend_ on Xen (specifically) running Dom0, on both
>> 32-bit and 64-bit, and thus I already can't upgrade them to F9.
>>
>> Here's what I read from that page. How can I read this text
>> in any way other than "users of Xen dom0 are doomed :-)" ?
>
> There are other options for Xen Dom0. RHEL5, or Fedora 8. I don't know
> if CentOS carries Xen, but it might.

or xenner if your cpu supports hw virt.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:21 PM
"Daniel P. Berrange"

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 11:56:34AM -0400, David A. Wheeler wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 12:49:53PM +0300, Ahmed Kamal wrote:
> > Too bad eh, my understanding is that Xen dom0 was totally dropped off F10,
> > and redhat is pushing KVM full steam.
>
> "Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones@redhat.com>
> >That's not entirely true. You should look at this page to see what's going on:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XenPvopsDom0
>
> I looked at that page, and that page's text seems pretty clear that
> Xen dom0 _IS_ getting dropped. Perhaps the page is wrong? I'm concerned;
> I have systems that _depend_ on Xen (specifically) running Dom0, on both
> 32-bit and 64-bit, and thus I already can't upgrade them to F9.
>
> Here's what I read from that page. How can I read this text
> in any way other than "users of Xen dom0 are doomed :-)" ?

s/are doomed/are temporarily doomed/

Basically upstream Xen community is working to get Dom0 re-written using
paravirt_ops. They are starting based on a proof of concept done for i386
Dom0 in the F9 development phase. Realistically 2.6.28 is the earliest
kernel their work is likely to be ready for. So if all goes to plan and
they get Dom0 parvirt_ops merged, it'll be back in whatever Fedora release
coincides with the kernel they merge in.

In terms of Fedora hosts currently Fedora 8 is theonly one with Dom0 and
obviously that will get end-of-life. So if you want guarenteed sustainable
Xen dom0 today your best best is RHEL-5, or CentOS-5 which will both be
around for years (as per the long RHEL-5 support lifecycle)

Daniel