Old 08-19-2008, 06:16 AM
"Martin Langhoff"

Default rpm -- cleaning up conflicting stray files in %pre ineffective?

Hi,

I am dealing with cleaning up after a really misbehaved package that
instead of installing files to their actual destination, it installed
them in a /here.go.files/ tree and them symlinked them in %post . This
means that the files are in place, but "undeclared" from rpm's POV.

This symlinking only affects ~50 paths, so my strategy has been to

- in %pre walk the list of 'bad links' paths, and remove those that are symlink
- install the file with normal rpm means, declare it in spec, etc

However, this does not seem to work. During upgrades I get 'warning:
/path/foo created as /path/foo.rpmnew'. After the install is complete,
/path/foo does not exist however, so we are left with only
/path/foo.rpmnew.

I suspect that at install/upgrade time rpm computes the conflicts
_before_ %pre runs.

Any hints?

cheers,

martin.langhoff@gmail.com