Old 08-14-2008, 03:55 PM
Patrice Dumas

Default rpath in kde packages added by cmake

Hello,

In kchmviewer, some rpath are added, that are certainly unneeded:

kchmviewer.i386: E: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath /usr/lib/kde4/kio_msits.so ['/usr/lib', '/usr/lib/kde4/devel']
kchmviewer.i386: E: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath /usr/bin/kchmviewer ['/usr/lib', '/usr/lib/kde4/devel']

/usr/lib is unneeded for sure and /usr/lib/kde4/devel seems to be
unneeded to me too, since, at least looking at libkio.so, one has

/usr/lib/kde4/devel/libkio.so -> ../../libkio.so.5

so that at runtime /usr/lib/libkio.so.5 can be used and the rpath is
unnecessary (at link time it is important to use /usr/lib/kde4/devel/
since there is another library version linked with /usr/lib/libkio.so).

However on

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/cmake

it is advised against removing the rpaths with -DCMAKE_SKIP_RPATH:BOOL=ON.
Is it relevant here? Am I doing a sound analysis? Is it a known issue?
Should I use chrpath, or a cmake trick?
A build with rpath removed with chrpath seems to be fine.

--
Pat

Old 08-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Kevin Kofler

Patrice Dumas <pertusus <at> free.fr> writes:
> it is advised against removing the rpaths with -DCMAKE_SKIP_RPATH:BOOL=ON.
> Is it relevant here? Am I doing a sound analysis? Is it a known issue?
> Should I use chrpath, or a cmake trick?

KDE 4 application packages should use %cmake_kde4, which among other things
sets -DCMAKE_SKIP_RPATH:BOOL=ON (to work around this very problem), instead of
plain %cmake. It also sets some other settings which may be relevant for KDE
apps.

Kevin Kofler

Old 08-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Patrice Dumas

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 04:00:05PM +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Patrice Dumas <pertusus <at> free.fr> writes:
> > it is advised against removing the rpaths with -DCMAKE_SKIP_RPATH:BOOL=ON.
> > Is it relevant here? Am I doing a sound analysis? Is it a known issue?
> > Should I use chrpath, or a cmake trick?
>
> KDE 4 application packages should use %cmake_kde4, which among other things
> sets -DCMAKE_SKIP_RPATH:BOOL=ON (to work around this very problem), instead of
> plain %cmake. It also sets some other settings which may be relevant for KDE
> apps.

Could kde and cmake aware people add some bits of documentation around
this on
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/cmake

Or maybe I missed some other place where it is described?

--
Pat

Old 08-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Rex Dieter

Patrice Dumas wrote:

> Could kde and cmake aware people add some bits of documentation around
> this on
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/cmake
> Or maybe I missed some other place where it is described?

for now,
* http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/KDE/KDE4FAQ
* Look at other kde4-related pkgs for examples
* peruse /etc/rpm/macros.kde4

-- Rex