Old 08-14-2008, 03:39 PM
"Jeffrey Ollie"

Default iLBC codec legal status

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Peter Lemenkov <lemenkov@gmail.com> wrote:

> ILBC is a low-bitrate codec used in many OSS and commerciall
> applications. However its legal status isn't clear at least for me.

[...]

> Is it acceptable for inclusion into Fedora?

No, it is not, because it places unacceptable restrictions on commercial use.

I had to strip iLBC from Asterisk tarballs for quite a while until
Digium finally removed the code themselves.

Jeff

Old 08-14-2008, 05:29 PM
Casey Dahlin

Jeffrey Ollie wrote:

ILBC is a low-bitrate codec used in many OSS and commerciall
applications. However its legal status isn't clear at least for me.

[...]

Is it acceptable for inclusion into Fedora?

No, it is not, because it places unacceptable restrictions on commercial use.

I had to strip iLBC from Asterisk tarballs for quite a while until
Digium finally removed the code themselves.

Jeff

Is the restriction on the reference implementation or the codec itself?
If the latter, could someone not re-implement it without looking at the
reference implementation?

My understanding is Copyright couldn't prevent someone from
re-implementing and using their code under whatever license. Patents,
however, could.

I2ANAL

--CJD