FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-14-2008, 02:36 PM
John Reiser
 
Default libgweather 50Mb??

> Isn't there some streamlined way of installing this? I mean, for a
> feature I never use this is one of largest packages dumped on my disk.

This is poor design of libgweather. There are several dozen .xml locale files,
each about 1MB or so, plus corresponding .mo localized message files (rather small.)
gzip compresses each *.xml file about 6:1. Obviously the package should use gzopen.

The workaround is to remove the files for the locales that do not interest you.

--

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 08-15-2008, 08:41 PM
Jim Gettys
 
Default libgweather 50Mb??

Upstream bug filed as:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=547961
- Jim



On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 07:36 -0700, John Reiser wrote:
> > Isn't there some streamlined way of installing this? I mean, for a
> > feature I never use this is one of largest packages dumped on my disk.
>
> This is poor design of libgweather. There are several dozen .xml locale files,
> each about 1MB or so, plus corresponding .mo localized message files (rather small.)
> gzip compresses each *.xml file about 6:1. Obviously the package should use gzopen.
>
> The workaround is to remove the files for the locales that do not interest you.
>
> --
>
--
Jim Gettys <jg@laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 08-16-2008, 01:04 AM
jeff
 
Default libgweather 50Mb??

Vasile Gaburici wrote:

Isn't there some streamlined way of installing this? I mean, for a
feature I never use this is one of largest packages dumped on my disk.

# rpm -e libgweather
error: Failed dependencies:
libgweather.so.1 is needed by (installed)
gnome-applets-2.22.3-1.fc9.i386
libgweather.so.1 is needed by (installed) gnome-panel-2.22.2-2.fc9.i386



IIRC it gets dragged in too if you want just NetworkManager-gnome...

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 08-16-2008, 10:13 AM
Sebastian Dziallas
 
Default libgweather 50Mb??

jeff wrote:

Vasile Gaburici wrote:

Isn't there some streamlined way of installing this? I mean, for a
feature I never use this is one of largest packages dumped on my disk.

# rpm -e libgweather
error: Failed dependencies:
libgweather.so.1 is needed by (installed)
gnome-applets-2.22.3-1.fc9.i386
libgweather.so.1 is needed by (installed)
gnome-panel-2.22.2-2.fc9.i386




IIRC it gets dragged in too if you want just NetworkManager-gnome...


Heh. Yeah, it does... because NetworkManager-gnome has a dependency on
gnome-panel (I'd say due to the NetworkManager applet), which then pulls
in libgweather (suspecting the clock applet for this)...


--Sebastian

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 08-16-2008, 06:45 PM
Rex Dieter
 
Default libgweather 50Mb??

Sebastian Dziallas wrote:

>> IIRC it gets dragged in too if you want just NetworkManager-gnome...
>
> Heh. Yeah, it does... because NetworkManager-gnome has a dependency on
> gnome-panel (I'd say due to the NetworkManager applet), which then pulls
> in libgweather (suspecting the clock applet for this)...

This is a killer space-wise for non-desktop(gnome) spins. If I find some time over the next week or so, I'll take a closer look at ways to address this.

-- Rex


--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 08-16-2008, 07:31 PM
Matthias Clasen
 
Default libgweather 50Mb??

On Sat, 2008-08-16 at 13:45 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Sebastian Dziallas wrote:
>
> >> IIRC it gets dragged in too if you want just NetworkManager-gnome...
> >
> > Heh. Yeah, it does... because NetworkManager-gnome has a dependency on
> > gnome-panel (I'd say due to the NetworkManager applet), which then pulls
> > in libgweather (suspecting the clock applet for this)...
>
> This is a killer space-wise for non-desktop(gnome) spins. If I find some time over the next week or so, I'll take a closer look at ways to address this.

There's bigger fish to fry, like the 80M of printer 'drivers' we
install...

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 08-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Rex Dieter
 
Default libgweather 50Mb??

Matthias Clasen wrote:

>> This is a killer space-wise for non-desktop(gnome) spins. If I find some
>> time over the next week or so, I'll take a closer look at ways to address
>> this.
>
> There's bigger fish to fry, like the 80M of printer 'drivers' we
> install...

Agreed, but that one I have not much clue on how to tackle it.

-- Rex


--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 08-17-2008, 07:56 AM
Kevin Kofler
 
Default libgweather 50Mb??

Matthias Clasen <mclasen <at> redhat.com> writes:
> There's bigger fish to fry, like the 80M of printer 'drivers' we
> install...

But all the small fish sum up to a huge swarm which makes that big shark look
like a goldfish in comparison. ;-)

50 MB is not much less than 80 MB, and it contributes to bringing spins over
the size limits, so fixing the bloat is worthwhile.

Kevin Kofler

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 08-17-2008, 08:49 AM
Sebastian Dziallas
 
Default libgweather 50Mb??

Rex Dieter wrote:

Sebastian Dziallas wrote:


IIRC it gets dragged in too if you want just NetworkManager-gnome...

Heh. Yeah, it does... because NetworkManager-gnome has a dependency on
gnome-panel (I'd say due to the NetworkManager applet), which then pulls
in libgweather (suspecting the clock applet for this)...


This is a killer space-wise for non-desktop(gnome) spins. If I find some time over the next week or so, I'll take a closer look at ways to address this.

-- Rex


The bug report Jim filed states that the issue is now "resolved".
Somebody mentioned there that with Gnome 2.23, there'd be a
Locations.XX.xml file for each language... don't know if this helps
much, but it seems to be an improvement (just the question when this
update is going to hit Fedora - 2.24 should afaik out by the end of
September). But definitely agreed! That's kind of... carzy for non-gnome
spins, which just include NetworkManager-gnome. I also came across this
PersonalCopy-Lite-patches package... fortunately, it's the lite version
- it has a size of 44 MB and is a dependency of SDL_Mixer. Well, maybe
not this right stuff for this thread, but still...


--Sebastian

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:17 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org