Old 08-14-2008, 04:10 AM
Peter Gordon

Default WARNING: Empathy/Haze & MC Profiles Update: Slight Manual Fixing Required

On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 20:45 -0700, Peter Gordon wrote:
> These should hit tomorrow's rawhide but unfortunately it means that the
> profiles have been renamed. I have included a script named
> "upgrade-haze-profiles.sh" (installed as documentation) with Empathy
> that automagically fixes this on a per-user basis; but this script needs
> to be run manually.

Forgot to add: You may need to install the 'util-linux-ng' package (for
the rename tool used in the script).
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
DD68 A414 56BD 6368 D957 9666 4268 CB7A FFC1 9479

Old 08-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Will Woods

On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 21:10 -0700, Peter Gordon wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 20:45 -0700, Peter Gordon wrote:
> > These should hit tomorrow's rawhide but unfortunately it means that the
> > profiles have been renamed. I have included a script named
> > "upgrade-haze-profiles.sh" (installed as documentation) with Empathy
> > that automagically fixes this on a per-user basis; but this script needs
> > to be run manually.
>
> Forgot to add: You may need to install the 'util-linux-ng' package (for
> the rename tool used in the script).

Peter:

First, thanks for including this. There's quite a few of these types of
bugs lurking in various packages and it makes me happy when I see
maintainers actively fighting them.

That said, I've got two questions:

1) What users will be affected? Anyone who's ever installed any version
of empathy, or only people who have had certain versions installed? If
the latter, which versions?

2) Why couldn't this be done as part of the package's %post script?

-w

Old 08-15-2008, 12:22 AM
Peter Gordon

On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 10:36 -0400, Will Woods wrote:
> 1) What users will be affected? Anyone who's ever installed any version
> of empathy, or only people who have had certain versions installed? If
> the latter, which versions?

The profiles were like this until today's rawhide, so just about every
Empathy user will be affected. :/

2) Why couldn't this be done as part of the package's %post script?

Like Adam mentioned, I'm not particularly fond of mucking with user's
$HOME stuff in a scriplet.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:26 AM
Peter Gordon

On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 10:38 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> It would be more useful if the UI could notice the existence of an
> old-style user profile and invoke the migration script for you.

I could try to whip a patch in mission-control for this; but this is
specifically a Fedora issue with how the profiles have been packaged up
until this point.

I'll see what I can do about the patch, but if someone whose C-fu is
much sharper than mine would like to do that for me it would be greatly
appreciated.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:10 AM
"Colin Walters"

2008/8/14 Peter Gordon <peter@thecodergeek.com>:
> On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 10:38 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
>> It would be more useful if the UI could notice the existence of an
>> old-style user profile and invoke the migration script for you.
>
> I could try to whip a patch in mission-control for this; but this is
> specifically a Fedora issue with how the profiles have been packaged up
> until this point.
>
> I'll see what I can do about the patch, but if someone whose C-fu is
> much sharper than mine would like to do that for me it would be greatly
> appreciated.

I'll take a look at this tomorrow (EST).