FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-13-2008, 11:14 PM
Brian Pepple
 
Default FESCo Meeting Summary for 2008-08-13

=== Members Present ===
* Brian Pepple (bpepple)
* Kevin Fenzi (nirik)
* Josh Boyer (jwb)
* Jon Stanley (jds2001)
* Dennis Gilmore (dgilmore)
* Karsten Hopp (kick_)
* Jarod Wilson (j-rod)

=== Members Absent ===
* Bill Nottingham (notting)
* David Woodhouse (dwmw2)

== Summary ==
=== Upstart Status Update ===
* Casey Dahlin (sadmac2) and Scott James Remnant (Keybuk) gave an update
on the status of Upstart for F10. It was planned that with Upstart 0.5,
Fedora would begin converting large parts of the system to the "upstart
way of doing things". Keybuk pointed out that several very core use
cases, pertaining to the mounting of file systems, instance jobs, etc,
are poorly served by current Upstart. So, until these issues are
resolved upstream, we will hold off on converting to the "upstart way of
doing things".

=== Revert curl change made for flash ===
* After a contentious discussion of whether to use an empty shared
library linked to libcurl.so.4 (proposal #1), or to make a compat
sub-package for libcurl.so.3 (proposal #2), FESCo approved proposal #1.
* Proposal #1: jds2001, Kick_, nirik, bpepple
* Proposal #2: jwb, dgilmore
* Abstain: j-rod

=== Features ===
* FESCo approved the following feature for F10:
* http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ApplianceTools
* http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ApplicationInstaller
* http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Eclipse34
* http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/FirstAidKit
* https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/GNOME2_24
* https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Sugar
* http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/PythonNSS

* FESCo held off on approving the 30 Second Startup(1) feature, since
they had some questions regarding it.
1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/30SecondStartup

IRC log can be found at:
http://bpepple.fedorapeople.org/fesco/FESCo-2008-08-13.html

Later,
/B
--
Brian Pepple <bpepple@fedoraproject.org>

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Bpepple
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 810CC15E
BD5E 6F9E 8688 E668 8F5B CBDE 326A E936 810C C15E
--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 08-22-2008, 09:48 AM
Paul Howarth
 
Default FESCo Meeting Summary for 2008-08-13

Brian Pepple wrote:
...

=== Revert curl change made for flash ===
* After a contentious discussion of whether to use an empty shared
library linked to libcurl.so.4 (proposal #1), or to make a compat
sub-package for libcurl.so.3 (proposal #2), FESCo approved proposal #1.
* Proposal #1: jds2001, Kick_, nirik, bpepple
* Proposal #2: jwb, dgilmore
* Abstain: j-rod


Note that upstream does not agree that the ABI for libcurl.so.3 and
libcurl.so.4 are the same:


http://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2008/08/13/flash-10-uses-native-libcurl/

Paul.

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 09-10-2008, 06:39 AM
Jesse Keating
 
Default FESCo Meeting Summary for 2008-08-13

On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 19:14 -0400, Brian Pepple wrote:
> * FESCo approved the following feature for F10:
> * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ApplianceTools

I just noticed and read this a little closer... and looked a the meeting
minutes which were... sparse.

This feature involves Fedora actually producing and distributing
something we've never done before, a tarred image for use in a virtual
machine. That's not your typical "spin" which is an iso format to be
consumed by booting it on hardware, real or fake. Was any thought or
discussion at all put into the implications of this? Was releng
consulted about our ability to produce/test this during development
cycles, particularly Beta? Do we have any thought as to how this would
be advertised to users, and any documentation about how to use it as
well?

Could FESCo maybe take another gander at this feature page and comment
on some of the above issues?

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom˛ is a feature!
identi.ca: http://identi.ca/jkeating
--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 09-10-2008, 07:12 AM
Dennis Gilmore
 
Default FESCo Meeting Summary for 2008-08-13

On Wednesday 10 September 2008 01:39:30 am Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 19:14 -0400, Brian Pepple wrote:
> > * FESCo approved the following feature for F10:
> > * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ApplianceTools
>
> I just noticed and read this a little closer... and looked a the meeting
> minutes which were... sparse.
>
> This feature involves Fedora actually producing and distributing
> something we've never done before, a tarred image for use in a virtual
> machine. That's not your typical "spin" which is an iso format to be
> consumed by booting it on hardware, real or fake. Was any thought or
> discussion at all put into the implications of this? Was releng
> consulted about our ability to produce/test this during development
> cycles, particularly Beta? Do we have any thought as to how this would
> be advertised to users, and any documentation about how to use it as
> well?
>
> Could FESCo maybe take another gander at this feature page and comment
> on some of the above issues?
I messed up here I missed "Requires hosting a binary image on
http://spins.fedoraproject.org/" from what I remembered it was providing tools
to create appliances. not us actually providing appliance images. since
appliances are specialised configured things its really hard to provide a
single appliance. I personally have no issue with hosting appliance
kickstart files. but i think we need to review hosting a binary appliance
image


Dennis
--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 09-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Bryan Kearney
 
Default FESCo Meeting Summary for 2008-08-13

Jesse Keating wrote:

On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 19:14 -0400, Brian Pepple wrote:

* FESCo approved the following feature for F10:
* http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ApplianceTools


I just noticed and read this a little closer... and looked a the meeting
minutes which were... sparse.

This feature involves Fedora actually producing and distributing
something we've never done before, a tarred image for use in a virtual
machine. That's not your typical "spin" which is an iso format to be
consumed by booting it on hardware, real or fake. Was any thought or
discussion at all put into the implications of this? Was releng
consulted about our ability to produce/test this during development
cycles, particularly Beta? Do we have any thought as to how this would
be advertised to users, and any documentation about how to use it as
well?


I can not speak to all the questions, but I know that Josh Broyler was
there during the meeting but to be fair we did not discuss that it was a
different type of spin. We would be happy to provide the documentaion
around how to use it. The tooling which would be used (based on
livecd-tools) went through a round of testing the last fedora test day.




Could FESCo maybe take another gander at this feature page and comment
on some of the above issues?

I will plan on being online for the FESCO meeting to discuss as necessary.

-- bk


--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 09-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Bryan Kearney
 
Default FESCo Meeting Summary for 2008-08-13

Dennis Gilmore wrote:

On Wednesday 10 September 2008 01:39:30 am Jesse Keating wrote:

On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 19:14 -0400, Brian Pepple wrote:

* FESCo approved the following feature for F10:
* http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ApplianceTools

I just noticed and read this a little closer... and looked a the meeting
minutes which were... sparse.

This feature involves Fedora actually producing and distributing
something we've never done before, a tarred image for use in a virtual
machine. That's not your typical "spin" which is an iso format to be
consumed by booting it on hardware, real or fake. Was any thought or
discussion at all put into the implications of this? Was releng
consulted about our ability to produce/test this during development
cycles, particularly Beta? Do we have any thought as to how this would
be advertised to users, and any documentation about how to use it as
well?

Could FESCo maybe take another gander at this feature page and comment
on some of the above issues?
I messed up here I missed "Requires hosting a binary image on
http://spins.fedoraproject.org/" from what I remembered it was providing tools
to create appliances. not us actually providing appliance images. since
appliances are specialised configured things its really hard to provide a
single appliance. I personally have no issue with hosting appliance
kickstart files. but i think we need to review hosting a binary appliance
image

Dennis:

In this case the "appliance" is a running system with the bare number of
packages. It is just delivered as a raw disk as opposed to an ISO.
Again, I will make sure to be online for the meeting so we can discuss.


-- bk

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:46 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org