FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-13-2008, 02:51 AM
Matthew Miller
 
Default Help! XFCE event sounds in Rawhide -- make it stop!

My rawhide system has always had some sound oddities ever since the
pulseaudio switch -- it really needs a reinstall. But in the last couple of
days, something has been driving me crazy: there are suddenly loud,
obnoxious sound effects when I open or close windows. There doesn't seem to
be an XFCE control panel that has anything to do with this, and changing the
gnome one has no effect. Help! Help!

--
Matthew Miller mattdm@mattdm.org <http://mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux ------> <http://linux.bu.edu/>

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 08-13-2008, 09:09 AM
Christoph Wickert
 
Default Help! XFCE event sounds in Rawhide -- make it stop!

Am Dienstag, den 12.08.2008, 22:51 -0400 schrieb Matthew Miller:
> My rawhide system has always had some sound oddities ever since the
> pulseaudio switch -- it really needs a reinstall. But in the last couple of
> days, something has been driving me crazy: there are suddenly loud,
> obnoxious sound effects when I open or close windows. There doesn't seem to
> be an XFCE control panel that has anything to do with this, and changing the
> gnome one has no effect. Help! Help!

I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with Xfce, because Xfce doesn't
have sound effects. Have you enabled "Launch Gnome Services on startup"
in "Sessions and Startup"? If so, this might come from Gnome and you
need to configure it with gnome-sound-properties.

Regards,
Christoph


--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 08-13-2008, 11:41 AM
Matthew Miller
 
Default Help! XFCE event sounds in Rawhide -- make it stop!

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 11:09:49AM +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with Xfce, because Xfce doesn't
> have sound effects. Have you enabled "Launch Gnome Services on startup"
> in "Sessions and Startup"? If so, this might come from Gnome and you
> need to configure it with gnome-sound-properties.

So, yeah, I've tried that, and it gives me an error:

Unable to start the settings manager 'gnome-settings-daemon'.

Without the GNOME settings manager running, some preferences may not take
effect. This could indicate a problem with Bonobo, or a non-GNOME (e.g.
KDE) settings manager may already be active and conflicting with the GNOME
settings manager.

However, I am able to make changes there, like disabling "system sounds",
and the choices I make persist -- and the sounds don't go away no matter
what I do.


--
Matthew Miller mattdm@mattdm.org <http://mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux ------> <http://linux.bu.edu/>

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 08-13-2008, 03:54 PM
"darrell pfeifer"
 
Default Help! XFCE event sounds in Rawhide -- make it stop!

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 04:41, Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org> wrote:

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 11:09:49AM +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:

> I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with Xfce, because Xfce doesn't

> have sound effects. Have you enabled "Launch Gnome Services on startup"

> in "Sessions and Startup"? If so, this might come from Gnome and you

> need to configure it with gnome-sound-properties.



So, yeah, I've tried that, and it gives me an error:



*Unable to start the settings manager 'gnome-settings-daemon'.



*Without the GNOME settings manager running, some preferences may not take

*effect. This could indicate a problem with Bonobo, or a non-GNOME (e.g.

*KDE) settings manager may already be active and conflicting with the GNOME

*settings manager.



However, I am able to make changes there, like disabling "system sounds",

and the choices I make persist -- and the sounds don't go away no matter

what I do.




I'm using gnome, but get the same error message with the GL Desktop control panel. It will turn on compiz but never remembers my settings.

Even though I have the preferences enabled to remember running programs, nautilus and terminal programs have to be restarted each login.


Most of the other preferences seem ok.

I'm guessing that this is a gnome setting problem of some sort rather than an Xfce problem.

darrell


--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 08-13-2008, 04:34 PM
Matthias Clasen
 
Default Help! XFCE event sounds in Rawhide -- make it stop!

On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 07:41 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 11:09:49AM +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with Xfce, because Xfce doesn't
> > have sound effects. Have you enabled "Launch Gnome Services on startup"
> > in "Sessions and Startup"? If so, this might come from Gnome and you
> > need to configure it with gnome-sound-properties.
>
> So, yeah, I've tried that, and it gives me an error:
>
> Unable to start the settings manager 'gnome-settings-daemon'.
>
> Without the GNOME settings manager running, some preferences may not take
> effect. This could indicate a problem with Bonobo, or a non-GNOME (e.g.
> KDE) settings manager may already be active and conflicting with the GNOME
> settings manager.
>
> However, I am able to make changes there, like disabling "system sounds",
> and the choices I make persist -- and the sounds don't go away no matter
> what I do.
>

Let me try to clear this up.
The thing that is responsible for making the sound is the
libcanberra-gtk module that is shipped with libcanberra. It gets loaded
by all gtk applications by means of an xinitrc.d file setting the
GTK_MODULES envvar. The module respects some XSettings to turn sound
events on and off: Net/SoundThemeName, Net/EnableInputFeedbackSounds,
Net/EnableEventSounds. In Gnome, these XSettings are handled by the
xsettings manager thats part of gnome-settings-daemon.

So there are several ways to get rid of event sounds in Xfce (in
decreasing order of brutality):

- uninstall libcanberra

- remove the xinitrc.d file, or unset GTK_MODULES somehow

- make the Xfce xsettings manager handle those settings

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 08-13-2008, 07:32 PM
Matthew Miller
 
Default Help! XFCE event sounds in Rawhide -- make it stop!

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 12:34:43PM -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> Let me try to clear this up.

You rock. Thanks.

> So there are several ways to get rid of event sounds in Xfce (in
> decreasing order of brutality):
> - uninstall libcanberra
> - remove the xinitrc.d file, or unset GTK_MODULES somehow

I'll do this one for now. And probably a bug should be filed for:

> - make the Xfce xsettings manager handle those settings

yeah?

--
Matthew Miller mattdm@mattdm.org <http://mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux ------> <http://linux.bu.edu/>

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 08-13-2008, 10:23 PM
Christoph Wickert
 
Default Help! XFCE event sounds in Rawhide -- make it stop!

Am Mittwoch, den 13.08.2008, 15:32 -0400 schrieb Matthew Miller:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 12:34:43PM -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > Let me try to clear this up.
>
> You rock. Thanks.
>
> > So there are several ways to get rid of event sounds in Xfce (in
> > decreasing order of brutality):
> > - uninstall libcanberra
> > - remove the xinitrc.d file, or unset GTK_MODULES somehow
>
> I'll do this one for now. And probably a bug should be filed for:
>
> > - make the Xfce xsettings manager handle those settings
>
> yeah?
>

This is something that should be done upstream and since
xfce-mcs-manager is going to be replaced by xfconf in Xfce 4.6 it's not
very likely to happen.

Regards,
Christoph

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 08-14-2008, 02:47 AM
Matthew Miller
 
Default Help! XFCE event sounds in Rawhide -- make it stop!

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 12:23:28AM +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> This is something that should be done upstream and since
> xfce-mcs-manager is going to be replaced by xfconf in Xfce 4.6 it's not
> very likely to happen.

So, will xfconf already support the needed sound prefs?

--
Matthew Miller mattdm@mattdm.org <http://mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux ------> <http://linux.bu.edu/>

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 08-14-2008, 08:46 AM
Christoph Wickert
 
Default Help! XFCE event sounds in Rawhide -- make it stop!

Am Mittwoch, den 13.08.2008, 22:47 -0400 schrieb Matthew Miller:
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 12:23:28AM +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > This is something that should be done upstream and since
> > xfce-mcs-manager is going to be replaced by xfconf in Xfce 4.6 it's not
> > very likely to happen.
>
> So, will xfconf already support the needed sound prefs?

I don't think so, I'm not even sure if the Xfce devs are aware of
libcanberra.

Regards,
Christoph

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 10-16-2008, 01:19 AM
Christoph Wickert
 
Default Help! XFCE event sounds in Rawhide -- make it stop!

Am Mittwoch, den 13.08.2008, 22:47 -0400 schrieb Matthew Miller:
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 12:23:28AM +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > This is something that should be done upstream and since
> > xfce-mcs-manager is going to be replaced by xfconf in Xfce 4.6 it's not
> > very likely to happen.
>
> So, will xfconf already support the needed sound prefs?

Update on this topic: Yes xfconf/Xfce 4.6 will have support for sound
themes, see http://blog.xfce.org/?p=405

Regards,
Christoph


--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:14 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org