Old 08-13-2008, 12:23 AM
Sam Varshavchik

Default F10Alpha installer automatically searching "Everything" repo?

I know that, as of a couple of releases ago, Anaconda had the ability to
incorporate external yum repository into the upgrade cycle, so that it ends
upgrading both the core packages and packages from external repos. I never
used this option. I prefer to quickly get the core update out of the way,
reboot, then proceed to upgrade all the extra packages.

I just started the F10 Alpha installer to upgrade from F9. It started
spinning away, and away… I flipped to the console window, and saw that it
established an http connection to one of the Fedora mirrors. I don't recall
enabling remote repo access in the F10 installer. Can someone confirm that
I'm not missing something here, and that the F10 installer will indeed
automatically enable remote repos.

If so, then I don't think this is wise. At least, offer an option to
disable it.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:23 PM
Chris Lumens

> I just started the F10 Alpha installer to upgrade from F9. It started
> spinning away, and away??? I flipped to the console window, and saw that
> it established an http connection to one of the Fedora mirrors. I don't
> recall enabling remote repo access in the F10 installer. Can someone
> confirm that I'm not missing something here, and that the F10 installer
> will indeed automatically enable remote repos.

If you don't give it somewhere else to install from (via passing the
repo= command line option), it will default to using the Fedora
mirrorlist. There's the repo editor if you would like to change that,
though it's a little busted right now. Working on that.

- Chris

Old 08-13-2008, 10:37 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Chris Lumens writes:

I just started the F10 Alpha installer to upgrade from F9. It started
spinning away, and away??? I flipped to the console window, and saw that
it established an http connection to one of the Fedora mirrors. I don't
recall enabling remote repo access in the F10 installer. Can someone
confirm that I'm not missing something here, and that the F10 installer
will indeed automatically enable remote repos.

If you don't give it somewhere else to install from (via passing the
repo= command line option), it will default to using the Fedora
mirrorlist. There's the repo editor if you would like to change that,
though it's a little busted right now. Working on that.

Errr -- I told it exactly where to install from. When Anaconda started,
stage 1 asked me for the install method, I picked "install from a URL",
which I understood to be what what "install via HTTP" in previous releases,
and I gave it the http URL to my loopback-mounted DVD install image. It
loaded stage 2 just fine, from my loopback-mounted, but then completely
forgot about it, and then installed from a remote repo, all night.

I don't need a repo editor. I just need it to load packages from the URL I
told Anaconda to install from, just like I've done many times in pre-F10.

Bug 458899