FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-12-2008, 06:06 PM
"Douglas E. Warner"
 
Default Need help making syslog-ng, rsyslog, and sysklogd not conflict

I've been sitting on an update to syslog-ng for quite awhile now because I
haven't been able to make syslog-ng compatible with simultaneous installations
of rsyslog or sysklogd (RHEL).

The root of the problem is that currently you can't install syslog-ng along
side of either of the other two syslog providers since both packages installs
their own logrotate files that rotate the same log files resulting in double
log rotation.

I've tried updating my syslog-ng package to include the logrotate file of each
of the other packages, but this still conflicts on RHEL-based boxes and when
sysklogd gets an update, syslog-ng gets silently removed (RPM does it without
reporting that it happened or yum saying it will happen).

Any ideas how I can make these packages installable at the same time?

-Doug

Sources: https://rpm.silfreed.net:8002/file/tip/syslog-ng/
Packages: http://www.silfreed.net/download/repo/packages/syslog-ng/
(syslog-ng 2.0.9-3 is the latest)
Repo release files:
http://www.silfreed.net/download/repo/packages/silfreednet-release/
--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 08-12-2008, 10:59 PM
Jeroen van Meeuwen
 
Default Need help making syslog-ng, rsyslog, and sysklogd not conflict

Douglas E. Warner wrote:
I've been sitting on an update to syslog-ng for quite awhile now because I
haven't been able to make syslog-ng compatible with simultaneous installations
of rsyslog or sysklogd (RHEL).


The root of the problem is that currently you can't install syslog-ng along
side of either of the other two syslog providers since both packages installs
their own logrotate files that rotate the same log files resulting in double
log rotation.


I've tried updating my syslog-ng package to include the logrotate file of each
of the other packages, but this still conflicts on RHEL-based boxes and when
sysklogd gets an update, syslog-ng gets silently removed (RPM does it without
reporting that it happened or yum saying it will happen).


Any ideas how I can make these packages installable at the same time?



Should these packages even be installable at the same time?

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 08-12-2008, 11:07 PM
Jesse Keating
 
Default Need help making syslog-ng, rsyslog, and sysklogd not conflict

On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 00:59 +0200, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> Should these packages even be installable at the same time?

One underlying Fedora policy is no conflicting packages.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!
identi.ca: http://identi.ca/jkeating
--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 08-12-2008, 11:39 PM
"Douglas E. Warner"
 
Default Need help making syslog-ng, rsyslog, and sysklogd not conflict

On Tuesday 12 August 2008 18:59:58 Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> Should these packages even be installable at the same time?

The only thing that conflicts here is the log rotation script.

I've been told that shipping the *exact same* log rotate script as rsyslog or
sysklogd should work as rpm won't care about the duplicate file since it
matches exactly, but there's two problems here:
1) I don't know what "exact" is (file size, md5, timestamp, ??)
2) So far it doesn't work in practice.

So if this is definitely supposed to work I need to figure out how "exact" the
file needs to be.

-Doug
--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 08-13-2008, 12:06 AM
Jason L Tibbitts III
 
Default Need help making syslog-ng, rsyslog, and sysklogd not conflict

>>>>> "DEW" == Douglas E Warner <silfreed@silfreed.net> writes:

DEW> The only thing that conflicts here is the log rotation script.

If you just want the same log rotation script regardless of which of
the syslog daemons you install, just split that script into a separate
package and have the three syslog packages depend on it. Certainly
not the worst hack which could be employed to solve this issue.

- J<

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 08-13-2008, 12:08 AM
"Douglas E. Warner"
 
Default Need help making syslog-ng, rsyslog, and sysklogd not conflict

On Tuesday 12 August 2008 20:06:11 Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> If you just want the same log rotation script regardless of which of
> the syslog daemons you install, just split that script into a separate
> package and have the three syslog packages depend on it. *Certainly
> not the worst hack which could be employed to solve this issue.

Not possible since Red Hat controls sysklogd in RHEL.

-Doug
--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 08-13-2008, 12:13 AM
Jason L Tibbitts III
 
Default Need help making syslog-ng, rsyslog, and sysklogd not conflict

>>>>> "DEW" == Douglas E Warner <silfreed@silfreed.net> writes:

DEW> Not possible since Red Hat controls sysklogd in RHEL.

And here I was thinking I was posting to fedora-devel-list.

Could we discuss technical solutions and ignore Red Hat politics?
What I proposed is a standard method of dealing with these things. We
have modified several packages in the same manner (mainly to make use
of -filesystem packages), and those packages are also in RHEL. It
hasn't been an issue.

- J<

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 08-13-2008, 01:41 AM
Jarod Wilson
 
Default Need help making syslog-ng, rsyslog, and sysklogd not conflict

Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

"DEW" == Douglas E Warner <silfreed@silfreed.net> writes:


DEW> Not possible since Red Hat controls sysklogd in RHEL.

And here I was thinking I was posting to fedora-devel-list.

Could we discuss technical solutions and ignore Red Hat politics?
What I proposed is a standard method of dealing with these things. We
have modified several packages in the same manner (mainly to make use
of -filesystem packages), and those packages are also in RHEL. It
hasn't been an issue.


I was just about to suggest a common log rotation scripts package that all
syslog progs used as well. And yeah, don't worry what RHEL does right now.



--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson@redhat.com

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 08-13-2008, 08:30 AM
Ville Skyttä
 
Default Need help making syslog-ng, rsyslog, and sysklogd not conflict

On Wednesday 13 August 2008, Douglas E. Warner wrote:

> I've been told that shipping the *exact same* log rotate script as rsyslog
> or sysklogd should work as rpm won't care about the duplicate file since it
> matches exactly, but there's two problems here:
> 1) I don't know what "exact" is (file size, md5, timestamp, ??)

I'm not sure if it's considered good packaging practice in cases like this,
but at least for "rpm -V", and also IIRC wrt. file conflicts, the sameness as
far as rpm is concerned can be controlled to some extent in %files with
the %verify directive.

http://rpm.org/max-rpm-snapshot/s1-rpm-inside-files-list-directives.html#S3-RPM-INSIDE-FLIST-VERIFY-DIRECTIVE

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 08-13-2008, 11:27 AM
Dmitry Butskoy
 
Default Need help making syslog-ng, rsyslog, and sysklogd not conflict

Jarod Wilson wrote:


I was just about to suggest a common log rotation scripts package that
all syslog progs used as well.


Hmm...

syslog used:

/bin/kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslogd.pid`

in logrotate's postrotate scripts, whereas rsyslog uses

/bin/kill -HUP `cat /var/run/rsyslogd.pid`

now. (Note differ pid filename).

In other words, is it possible (in general) to create common logrotate
files for all syslog-like packages?



~buc
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DmitryButskoy

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:04 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org