Old 08-12-2008, 03:50 PM
jeff

Default Interested in Fedora on Smaller Machines?

Jeremy Katz wrote:

Smaller form-factor machines such as the Asus eeePC have gotten a fair
bit of the tech press spotlight of late. Have you bought one with the
idea of running Fedora on it? Or have you thought about doing so?

I've done a few different draft images for the Asus EeePC model 900 that can be
put on a USB pen drive then booted and optionally installed. I used
livecd-tools to build them.

Gnome Image (600M):
http://www.freeeee.org/images/FREEEEE-200808080001.ext2

Text only (199M):
http://www.freeeee.org/images/FREEEEE-minimal-200808102048.ext2

Minimal GUI openbox (300M):
http://www.freeeee.org/images/FREEEEE-200808080001.ext2

I've done a number of other images floating around as well, and I have a super
rad one waiting in the wings hahaha.

These are based on BLAG 90k which is based on Fedora 9. The kernel (-libre +
-rt) supports all hardware on the EeePC 701/900 using *only* free software.
This includes wifi with the ath5k driver. It is based on -libre and -rt plus
various other patches.

If you are interested in this I can keep you updated when I do new images (like
every few days right now).

-Jeff

Old 08-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Conrad Meyer

Quoth jeff:
> Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > Smaller form-factor machines such as the Asus eeePC have gotten a fair
> > bit of the tech press spotlight of late. Have you bought one with the
> > idea of running Fedora on it? Or have you thought about doing so?
>
> I've done a few different draft images for the Asus EeePC model 900 that can
be
> put on a USB pen drive then booted and optionally installed. I used
> livecd-tools to build them.
>
> Gnome Image (600M):
> http://www.freeeee.org/images/FREEEEE-200808080001.ext2
>
> Text only (199M):
> http://www.freeeee.org/images/FREEEEE-minimal-200808102048.ext2
>
> Minimal GUI openbox (300M):
> http://www.freeeee.org/images/FREEEEE-200808080001.ext2
>
> I've done a number of other images floating around as well, and I have a
super
> rad one waiting in the wings hahaha.
>

> These are based on BLAG 90k which is based on Fedora 9. The kernel (-libre +
> -rt) supports all hardware on the EeePC 701/900 using *only* free software.
> This includes wifi with the ath5k driver. It is based on -libre and -rt plus
> various other patches.
>
> If you are interested in this I can keep you updated when I do new images
(like
> every few days right now).
>
> -Jeff

Perhaps you meant to post different links for the Openbox and GNOME images?
They look the same to me.

Conrad Meyer <konrad@tylerc.org>

Old 08-12-2008, 04:07 PM
jeff

Conrad Meyer wrote:

Quoth jeff:

Jeremy Katz wrote:

[...]

Whoops, you're right, thx.

Openbox (iirc!)
http://www.freeeee.org/images/FREEEEE-minimal-gui-200808102140.ext2

-Jeff

Old 08-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Jeremy Katz

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 12:50 -0300, jeff wrote:
> Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > Smaller form-factor machines such as the Asus eeePC have gotten a fair
> > bit of the tech press spotlight of late. Have you bought one with the
> > idea of running Fedora on it? Or have you thought about doing so?
>
> I've done a few different draft images for the Asus EeePC model 900 that can be
> put on a USB pen drive then booted and optionally installed. I used
> livecd-tools to build them.

My goal is that we should be able to run on the systems with stock
Fedora. Having to do a special spin limits users who get given cds, etc
at trade shows or the like.

> These are based on BLAG 90k which is based on Fedora 9. The kernel (-libre +
> -rt) supports all hardware on the EeePC 701/900 using *only* free software.
> This includes wifi with the ath5k driver. It is based on -libre and -rt plus
> various other patches.

Luckily, wifi should be in for 2.6.27, although I need to actually try a
newer image on my ar2425 based box. I'll probably do that when I get
home (since that's where it is)

Jeremy

Old 08-12-2008, 07:51 PM
jeff