Old 08-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Jesse Keating

Default Fedora 10 Beta Freeze coming soon

The Fedora 10 Beta freeze is scheduled for the 19th of Aug, one week and
one day away. I know it hasn't been very long since the Alpha release,
but that's how we roll here in the land of 6 month release cycles.

Beta freeze also marks the Feature freeze, so it is very important that
you get your features into working, testable shape by then, or be
prepared to try your feature again for Fedora 11.

We'd like to treat rawhide as a slushy freeze at this point, we'll be
doing full composes against rawhide to test for various things and be
ahead of the curve come actual freeze time, so we'd like you to not land
any really dangerous changes without extensive testing first, and
notification to the Fedora lists about your scary change. If we all
work together we can get through the beta freeze period quickly and be
on to the bugfixing mode after beta releases.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/10/Schedule is the current
schedule, although releng/Fesco/Board has the ability to change the
schedule as needed. This week's meetings of the various boards, sigs,
groups, etc.. should focus on Beta readiness. It would be good to take
a moment to see what state your area of interest is in, and how likely
it would be that said area of interest will be in a "testable" shape by
the Beta freeze. If more (reasonable) time is needed, now is the time
to let the project know so that we can effectively manage the remainder
of our release schedule.

Thanks for all your hard work in making Fedora 10 great!

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom˛ is a feature!

Old 09-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Jesse Keating

> The Fedora 10 Beta freeze is scheduled for the 19th of Aug, one week and
> one day away. I know it hasn't been very long since the Alpha release,
> but that's how we roll here in the land of 6 month release cycles.
>
> Beta freeze also marks the Feature freeze, so it is very important that
> you get your features into working, testable shape by then, or be
> prepared to try your feature again for Fedora 11.
>
> We'd like to treat rawhide as a slushy freeze at this point, we'll be
> doing full composes against rawhide to test for various things and be
> ahead of the curve come actual freeze time, so we'd like you to not land
> any really dangerous changes without extensive testing first, and
> notification to the Fedora lists about your scary change. If we all
> work together we can get through the beta freeze period quickly and be
> on to the bugfixing mode after beta releases.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/10/Schedule is the current
> schedule, although releng/Fesco/Board has the ability to change the
> schedule as needed. This week's meetings of the various boards, sigs,
> groups, etc.. should focus on Beta readiness. It would be good to take
> a moment to see what state your area of interest is in, and how likely
> it would be that said area of interest will be in a "testable" shape by
> the Beta freeze. If more (reasonable) time is needed, now is the time
> to let the project know so that we can effectively manage the remainder
> of our release schedule.
>
> Thanks for all your hard work in making Fedora 10 great!

Well, it's been an interesting couple of weeks to say the least.

We moved our freeze date to reflect the situation. The new freeze date
is Sept. 9, which is in 7 days. This is a friendly reminder that the
freeze is coming up, and coming up quickly.

I realize that rawhide has been less than great lately, and we're
working quite hard to fix the issues. The installer images from the
30th may be of use in getting rawhide installed and then updating to
what is in the public repos. See
http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/mash/rawhide-20080830/development/
(please only grab the installer images from there, not the entire tree)

Old 09-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Ralf Corsepius

> On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 13:02 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > The Fedora 10 Beta freeze is scheduled for the 19th of Aug, one week and
> > one day away. I know it hasn't been very long since the Alpha release,
> > but that's how we roll here in the land of 6 month release cycles.
> >
> > Beta freeze also marks the Feature freeze, so it is very important that
> > you get your features into working, testable shape by then, or be
> > prepared to try your feature again for Fedora 11.
> >
> > We'd like to treat rawhide as a slushy freeze at this point, we'll be
> > doing full composes against rawhide to test for various things and be
> > ahead of the curve come actual freeze time, so we'd like you to not land
> > any really dangerous changes without extensive testing first, and
> > notification to the Fedora lists about your scary change. If we all
> > work together we can get through the beta freeze period quickly and be
> > on to the bugfixing mode after beta releases.
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/10/Schedule is the current
> > schedule, although releng/Fesco/Board has the ability to change the
> > schedule as needed. This week's meetings of the various boards, sigs,
> > groups, etc.. should focus on Beta readiness. It would be good to take
> > a moment to see what state your area of interest is in, and how likely
> > it would be that said area of interest will be in a "testable" shape by
> > the Beta freeze. If more (reasonable) time is needed, now is the time
> > to let the project know so that we can effectively manage the remainder
> > of our release schedule.
> >
> > Thanks for all your hard work in making Fedora 10 great!
> >

> Well, it's been an interesting couple of weeks to say the least.
>
> We moved our freeze date to reflect the situation. The new freeze date
> is Sept. 9, which is in 7 days.
Provided FC8 and FC9 have been in deep freeze for 3-4 weeks and are
still deep freeze, I would recommend to reconsider this decision above.

Postponing F10 Beta Freeze by the same amount of time FC8 and FC9 don't
receive updates, would seems more than appropriate to me.

Ralf

Old 09-03-2008, 02:01 AM
Matthew Miller

On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 02:52:09PM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> I realize that rawhide has been less than great lately, and we're
> working quite hard to fix the issues. The installer images from the
> 30th may be of use in getting rawhide installed and then updating to
> what is in the public repos. See
> http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/mash/rawhide-20080830/development/
> (please only grab the installer images from there, not the entire tree)

FWIW, I just did a net install from the F10 alpha images today with the
rawhide repo enabled and that went without a hitch.

--
Matthew Miller mattdm@mattdm.org <http://mattdm.org/>

Old 09-03-2008, 03:23 AM
"Jerry Williams"

I am not sure how hard it is to make a spin, but it seems like there it too
big of a gap between spins.
I know that things have been rough for a lot of people with the problems
with the Fedora site.
To me it seems like there should be another alpha type spin before beta.

My 2 cents,
Jerry Williams